Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IGN Force Unleashed Review

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar

IGN Force Unleashed Review

IGN: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Review

A few excerpts taken from the review today.

When you first take control of Vader's secret apprentice, he's already pretty powerful with Force Push and Force Grip in his repertoire. But by the time you reach the end of the game, he's incredibly powerful. Stormtroopers that previously took a few swipes of a lightsaber to down now hit the floor in one swoop, and your Force powers will recharge quickly for repeated use. Being able to Force Push one guy off a ledge, electrify the guy next to him, slice down a third trooper and then Force Repulse all of their bodies off your standing within a couple seconds is flat-out awesome.
    While the Force powers are great fun to use on the whole, the game's targeting system poses a hindrance at times with things like Force Grip. There are a ton of "usable" objects in the game, ranging from boxes to junk to plants to people, and grabbing just the right one can be tricky. The game will try and target whatever object it thinks you're looking at, which can be fine for things on the ground in relatively empty areas, but there are problems when the ground is littered with objects or if you're trying to target someone a good distance either above or below you. This can be especially problematic when you're in a hanger, surrounded by a ton of enemies, and you need to target a stormtrooper hovering just above you with a jetpack to keep him from lighting you up.
    Going back to the enemy units in the game, including bosses - this is probably my biggest gripe with the experience. A good number of the stronger enemy units in the game can be rather tedious to fight, and oftentimes won't let you use many of your powers against them. In the case of something like an AT-ST, you simply electrocute it, attack a couple times, retreat and then repeat a bunch more times. Large, lumbering but powerful stormtrooper variants in the second half of the game require the same technique, and it gets old quickly.

Closing Comments
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a valiant effort at rejuvenating the largely underwhelming Star Wars videogame franchise. Some of the technology here is a little too far ahead of its time, though that could prove to be promising for future installments. Uninspired level design and some tedious enemy battles mar an experience that gives you power over the Force like we've never really seen before. While it's far from perfect, Star Wars fans will find that it's worth playing through simply for its story and the ability to use the Force in fairly awesome ways.
    Final Score

a lot lower than i was expecting...

He looks just like Raziel in that picture. I'm going to rent this game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

any demos for this?
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    any demos for this?
    Yep. They've been on Live and PSN for several weeks now.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

what about the Wii version???

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Settle down, nobody cares about playing a game in... standard definition.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for Wii Review - Wii Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Review

6.0. Pwnt.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar
    Another mediocre Star Wars game? goddamnit.

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    Craig nub, this is the PS3 section. :readit:

well the only reason I am begging for a Wii review is that the whole wii-mote experience with this game has to give it at least a small bump in score.

but according to that link by Sonic, i'm being Wii-owned... shat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast