Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA Hit with Lawsuit over Spore DRM

EA Hit with Lawsuit over Spore DRM

Quote Originally Posted by shacknews.com
    The controversy surrounding EA Maxis' PC evolution simulator Spore and its DRM continues to escalate, with studio owner and publisher Electronic Arts now facing a class action lawsuit due to the title's use of SecuROM copy protection software.
    Spore DRM Prompts $5M Class Action Lawsuit - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

At first I thought this was just silly, But I have to say the below qoute brings back memories of the sony rootkit.

Once installed, it becomes a permanent part of the consumer's software portfolio. Even if the consumer uninstalls Spore and entirely deletes it from their computer, SecuROM remains a fixture in their computer unless and until the consumer completely wipes their hard drive through reformatting or replacement of the drive.

Blog Entries
    Yeah but wasn't the deal with Sony that the program actually was malicious or something? I don't remember everything on that case.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

The biggest problem with the sony rootkit was you played a audio cd in your computer and it installed drm software without your permission. So it is different but.. who knows how the courts will see it.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Really, how hard would it be to use the final installation step to send an authorization to a central online database, tick off the 3 or 5 times you're allowed to install? Just tie the unique ID of the game to the number of times installed. When they get to the 6th try, you notify them that they are over the limit, and end the install.

Then they can call and plead their case, and EA can reset the number of installs back one to let them install it again.

would be a tiny database.

pretty trivial that's for sure. I think Microsoft and other software suites do a similar thing (maybe not exactly that simple though). I guess the problem with that is if they don't have a internet connection at the time, no go?
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    pretty trivial that's for sure. I think Microsoft and other software suites do a similar thing (maybe not exactly that simple though). I guess the problem with that is if they don't have a internet connection at the time, no go?
    make it a requirement. lots better than installed DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Really, how hard would it be to use the final installation step to send an authorization to a central online database, tick off the 3 or 5 times you're allowed to install? Just tie the unique ID of the game to the number of times installed. When they get to the 6th try, you notify them that they are over the limit, and end the install.

Then they can call and plead their case, and EA can reset the number of installs back one to let them install it again.

would be a tiny database.
    Good plan too bad big corporations and logic seldom collide.

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar
    ...Meanwhile...those that downloaded a cracked version of the game have no issues at all playing the game or reinstalling it. :mad:

DRM needs to go away or be less intrusive to paying customers. Their destroying their own industry if they stay on this path.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post
    ...Meanwhile...those that downloaded a cracked version of the game have no issues at all playing the game or reinstalling it. :mad:

DRM needs to go away or be less intrusive to paying customers. Their destroying their own industry if they stay on this path.
    so true.... i hope this goes somewhere, but it may just get bogged down in attorney's fees before it sees the light of court.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post

:yeahthat:

DRM is only hurting the people who want to use it legitimatly, the pirates will be pirates. Look at everything software related that's popular (from Windows to Spore, to the PSP) its been hacked and all the DRM measured removed for illcit use (sometimes before its been released) more companies need to release their game DRM free, but they can still have some CD-key checks (or just release them on Steam).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast