Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Far Cry 2

Blog Entries

Review: Far Cry 2

Review of Far Cry 2 by Kage

Unleash the rage!

Minimum requirements
    In order to run Far Cry 2 properly, your PC MUST meet or exceed these minimum requirements:
    Supported OS: Windows XP / Windows Vista (Only)
    Processor: 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz Pentium D, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better (Pentium Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better recommended)
    RAM: 1 GB (2 GB recommended, 2 GB minimum for Windows Vista)
    Video Card*: 256 MB DirectX 10.0 / 9.0c-compliant video card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (512 MB recommended)
    Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compliant sound card (5.1 sound card recommended)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc), DirectX 10.0
    DVD-ROM: 12x DVD-ROM
    Hard Drive Space: 12 GB
    Peripherals Supported: Windows-compliant mouse, keyboard, headset
    Multiplayer: 128 kbps Broadband or LAN connection required (256 kbps connection or better needed to host)

* Supported Video Cards at Time of Release
    ATI Radeon 1650-1950 / HD 2000 / HD 3000 / HD 4000 series
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 / 7 / 8 / 9 series, GeForce 8800M / 8700M

Laptop versions of the cards listed above may work but are NOT supported.

Notice: Internet connection is required to install the game.
    Notice: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives.

My Specs
    Processor: AMD Athlon Dual Core 6000+ 3.01 GHz
    3.00 Gb RAM
    Ati 3870 hd Video Card
    32bit Vista Ultimate
    Purchased game on Steam

Outline
    Sadly, I have never played Far Cry 1, but luckily for me Far Cry 2 has nothing to do with the first one at all! No monsters, no Islands, and no bogus AI characters that can see you from a mile away. In Far Cry 2 you start by choosing one of about 9 characters to be, which is odd because the entire game is done in first person. So you get to choose your character to never be seen again. You are sent to an unknown African nation to hunt down the Jackal, a Lord of War who has been providing weapons to both of the factions involved in the conflict of the country where nearly the entire civilian population has gone into hiding or has tried to escape the area, so you donít have to worry about who you kill because there is no chance of them being innocent. Itís a Bloodbath. Basically the Jackal finds you in your hotel room, and tells you to back off. As he does this, the two factions in the town are fighting and you find yourself in the middle trying to get out. You eventually get shot and rescued by one of the factions. When you wake up you are given a job and the story continues from there. Jobs can be received from just about everybody in the area, including the people selling you guns, and they will pay in either diamonds or the availability of extra items.

All i want is Bang Bang Bang!

Graphics
    The graphics are amazing; not Crysis amazing but they are definitely a close second in looks, and a far above first for performance. This game runs amazingly well on my computer, and I have heard that many people who have trouble running Crysis have no trouble with this game. The only trouble I have was before I updated my graphics drivers, so that wasnít even a problem. My game does crash every now and again, mainly steams fault, but you have so many chances to save that it doesnít bother me either. The people in this game look amazing; the character models are some of the best I have ever seen in variety and detail. The weather is well done, whenever there is a storm the trees and brush go wild, not distinctly in unison but still showing the chaos.

Pretty, but flammable.

Game play
    This is very much a first person shooter, through and through. No matter how hard they try to make this game an adventure game with the large free roam area, or try to make it an rpg with the questing, item collection and weapon customizability, it is still just a first person shooter. I was expecting the weapons to be more plentiful, or the ability to customize to be a lot more in depth and cooler than just Reliability, Accuracy, and Ammo upgrades. It is really disappointing. But they have backed up the game play element with challenging AI, the ability to burn everything, and different attack strategies. The AI will surprise you in this game when you expect them all to come running straight at you, but instead they split up and attack you from 2 or 3 different sides around buildings and other obstacles. Watch out cause these bastards definitely took Pattonís quote about flanking to heart. ďGrab them by the nose and kick them in the ass!Ē I recall many people complaining about Crysis having shitty AI and a crappy damage system. Which is so true, the people in this game can really take the hits, but not enough to piss you off. They take about 4 well placed shots to the chest, 1 shot to the head, or if you shoot them in the legs they will go down and call for help. Strategy in this game actually means something when you can cause a distraction by blowing up something or setting fire to the surrounding area while you walk around behind them with a silencer. You can really mix it up to make it more interesting.

Clean up Vietnam style, these bastards dont stay down.

Story
    Itís boring as far as I can tell. I have not completed the game so donít take my word for it, I could just be surprised later. But so far it is a game where you chose multiple different characters to play, who just turn out to be your friends in the game no matter who you pick. And then the story doesnít change. The characters are interesting, but not amazing. Nobody is getting an award for story in this game. Especially not from me.

Squeeze

Weapons
    Good variety on the weapons, and very believable when in use. Since you are in Africa, you only get the weapons that you would expect to get in an African nation from a gunrunner. So AKs, RPGs, Shotguns, Uzis, G3s, Mp5s, and the other such rif-raf are plentiful. There are a few weapons that are not expected like the semi-auto sniper and the grenade launcher, but there isnít anything that would have been in the US or European category of Military hardware. Sorry, no M4s or G36s. While it is annoying to get a weapon jam, its still very awesome and adds to the excitement. Having your primary weapon jam in the middle of an intense gun battle and make you go DAMMIT! Is just priceless. If a gun is really old and rusty you will see it, and if the gun is over used it will actually backfire and destroy the barrel, becoming useless. So picking up an enemies weapon is only a temporary replacement for running out of ammo with your guns.

Overpowered, but Oh so Awesome.

Vehicles
    At first it is very annoying having to drive in First person ALL OF THE TIME in the 50km2 area they have laid out, but you get used to it. The vehicles are not so plentiful, mainly just jeeps, buggies, and the occasional jeep liberty, but again, youíre in Africa, and there is no such thing as a Ferrari or F-35 around here. There is however a Bus stop, and you will find yourself using it a lot because you get so damn tired of driving your jeep through all of the checkpoints fighting off the same bastards you fought not ten seconds ago just because they decided to respawn. Traveling sucks in this game, its tedious and its not as fun as GTA. Not even close. But I do enjoy switching positions in the vehicles, mainly because you physically switch positions, you donít just teleport within the vehicle like every other game imaginable. Did I mention the jeeps have Machine guns on them? Well they do, and you will find that using that on the checkpoints and the poor soldiers stationed there is very fun.
    Did I mention there are also boats? Those have machine guns too.

They just want to say Hi

Overall
    This game is fun, and has 30 hours of gameplay. Which is a crapload for an FPS. So the diamond collection, driving, killing, and sidequest will keep you busy for a while.

That same damn bolt is always the cause of your problems. Mechanics are liars!

The Good
    AI seems like it actually paid attention in boot camp. Weapons are well done. Vehicles are better than walking. Beautiful game. Great first person shooter.
    The Bad
    Large area is not all that pretty, and boring to travel around. Weapon customizability is lame. Story doesnít have too much to offer. Not a good free roam game or RPG.

When in doubt, burn everything.

Iíll give this 8 D keys just because I like first person shooters.And because the story is not so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-18-41-22.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-18-59-71.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-19-31-60.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-19-35-32.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-19-38-50.jpg  

Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-26-18-42.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-14-54-44-46.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-03-37-90.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-09-12-37.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-19-38-65.jpg  

Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-19-43-54.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-19-49-30.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-19-55-23.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-23-15-20-58-20.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-24-19-08-58-07.jpg  

Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-25-15-57-34-01.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-25-16-13-31-31.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-25-16-42-29-81.jpg   Review: Far Cry 2-farcry2-2008-10-25-16-53-20-14.jpg  

United States [US]
    joe
    Great review! (squeeze!)

*Squeeze*

awesome work!

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    i give it a 7/10 because the AI tends to be dumb. otherwise it's been fine. I'm not writing home about it, nor telling anyone else it's a must-have.

I actually enjoy driving in the game lol

Good review

I've been in a few situations where the enemy was basically right next to me while looking for me. Either their peripheral vision is horrible, or they pack the IQ of a bag of rocks. Then again, I'm playing on the normal difficulty.

I'm loving the game so far. Way better than Crysis.

Blog Entries
    its what crysis should have been!

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    actually, I like crysis better than FC2.

Lol *squeeze* Nice review!

Wow, great job Dude! I learned a lot

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast