Review: Wolf Team

Game: Wolf Team
    Platform: PC
    MSRP: $Free
    Rating: Everyone
    Time to Complete: None
    HomePage:: Wolf Team - Free FPS MMO at Aeria Games

Official Youtube gameplay video

Free games have been around for a long time, but they've gotten more and more advanced lately - from online MMORPGs to basic 2-D fighters, and FPSs like Battlefield Heroes. Wolf Team is a free FPS offered by Aeria Games with a few unique twists.

You play as a soldier who can morph into a Wolf (or WereWolf) at any time, taking advantage of close-combat situations and jumping abilities.

Gameplay:

Wolf Team is a classic FPS in the Counterstrike vein, and Source players will be very comfortable with how the Soldier plays - first person view, weapon in hand, quick switching to other weapons like pistol and grenades.

On the other hand, when switching to the Wolf, you take a 3rd person view slightly up and over the Wolf's shoulder, allowing you to see a bit ahead of you to prepare you for a melee attack.

Your enemy is a team of soldiers like you, with all your abilities, but they are evil due to their color - Red or Blue. As we know, red and blue don't mix in FPS games, and this is no different.

Players start on opposite sides of the map and move towards each other to accomplish goals depending on the map - including Deathmatch, Destruction (bomb-planting vs. defusing), Ice Hold (a team-oriented match with player-reviving), and Conquest (capture the base).

Soldiers use a surprisingly large variety of weapons. Primary weapons range from the M16 to Shotguns, P90 to the AWP (naming conventions are slightly different). Secondary weapons include Glocks and Deagles and some automatics, and your explosive options include Grenades - Fragmentation, Area denial (creates a large force field that prevents people passing through it) and Gravity wells (force field sucking in enemies so you can shoot them).

There are also upgrades and variants of almost every weapon - upgrading aiming, take-down power, and even larger magazines (no endless reloads, you can run out). You can buy upgrades with real money via Aeria's store, or you can use gold that you earn during each match. You can also be gifted upgrades during designated play periods by Aeria. Upgrades are useful, but you can do quite well with the stock weapons.

Once you have all your weapons in inventory, you outfit 4 weapons sets, which you can then choose from before each gameplay round. The first set, which you always have, is static, and consists of an M16, a glock, and a frag grenade. The other 3 sets I usually stock with a shotgun/deagle combo, an Awp/deagle combo, and my favorite weapon, the EF-2000 and variants.

Becoming the Wolf is just like changing a weapon - hit the 3 button and you morph into a Wolf, with the ability to run horizontally along a wall, perform a jump-slash from 20ft away to kill a soldier, or basic swiping through a group of inattentive recruits.

You can use the Wolf's jumping ability to overcome higher obstacles and surprise enemies, and close combat prefers the claws. Soldiers must unload half a clip to kill you, so pick your places wisely.

You can upgrade your Wolf with various abilities (like invisibility) using Aeria Points, which can be purchased in the Aeria store.

Graphics and Sound

Wolf Team has decent graphics, what you'd expect from a last-gen engine, so a basic 6-series video card can handle it. You won't get the heavy textures or wide expanses of gorgeous terrain, but the maps are good-looking, and the soldiers/wolves have good detail, though aren't as lifelike as other games.

Sound isn't quite up to par - some of the weapons sound very tinny, and the AWP and shotgun don't give that satisfying BOOM that you'd like. You'll notice it at first, but it won't matter that much later.

p2p aspect

Wolfteam is a P2P game. Not as in a "Pay-2-Play" (it's free-2-play, relax) but a "Peer-2-Peer." In short, what this means is when you play this game you won't be logging onto a dedicated server nor will be client side. The game is interwoven between all the players in it. When you play WolfTeam your connection will be based off of pinging every other player in the match and their ping with you. The lower the ping, the better! It's recommended that you have a ping of 90 or below, but up until 110 and you should be fine. Anything past that will cause delays and other players to lag.

--from the Wolfteam website

Conclusion:

For a free game, WolfTeam is a fun alternative to other games. While the graphics aren't cutting edge, it's the gameplay that matters, and it's pretty good. Source players will find it very easy to pick up, and you can be competitive even without upgrading your weapons or buying the add-ons. If you want to support the game developers, it's easy to throw in a few bucks and upgrade to some cool stuff, from gold-plated guns to Wolf tattoos.

It's a light game, only a 420mb download, and light on the graphics card, so it might be an ideal FPS for your laptop.

I'll give it 8 out of 10 rating, giving it a full extra point because it's free.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: Wolf Team-5kill.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-blimp.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-chatting.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-ef2000.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-map.jpg  

Review: Wolf Team-inventory.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-soldier.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-wolf2.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-select.jpg   Review: Wolf Team-wolfwall.jpg  

Last edited by CoffeeShark; 08-01-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Looks like a good game, maybe even my aging T42p will run it decently.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Blog Entries
    Good write up coffee. Perhaps you can enlighten me about something.

When I initially join a server, I can't use the guns I selected (the optional 3) without having played for a little bit. I assume it has something to do with the +50 on the first gun, and you earn some kind of points? If you could just clarify that, and if it's possible to start the game with a slight advantage over someone, that would be awesome.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    yeah, you have to earn enough points through kills to use your other weapons packs. No advantages to start, but if you Wolf and run to a good spot, then switch to primary weapon, you can usually get a kill or two in pretty quickly.

great write-up man!

Gonna have to check this out. Nice write up!

DLing now, im always down to waste a few hours on a free game
    Shotty h4x FTW!!!

:Rig:
    -(Asus P7P55D)-(Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz)-(4GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333)-(Saphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5)-(Antec 850w)-

Anyone hopping on this? Its pretty fun... once you get a stable server to play on at least

Check the name of this weapon lol

I'm dling now
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast