Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L4D2 DLC "The Passing" in March, New L4D DLC Later

United States [US]
    joe

L4D2 DLC "The Passing" in March, New L4D DLC Later

In "The Passing," players will meet up with the original Left 4 Dead's survivors, Francis, Bill, Zoey and Louis, who will appear as non-playable characters. Valve's Chet Faliszek told Kotaku that Left 4 Dead 2's survivors will rendezvous with the original quartet later on in the campaign, and that they will aid Coach, Nick, Ellis and Rochelle in finishing the third map in the campaign.

"The Passing" will also add one new uncommon common infected type, which Valve is calling the Fallen Survivor. These new zombies, humans who erroneously believed themselves to be immune to the infection, will sometimes drop items when killed, like health kits or ammo.

That new add-on will offer an opportunity to see more of the original cast's character traits, Faliszek said, storylines that will likely be explored in the Left 4 Dead digital comic book that will arrive after "The Passing." That comic will be illustrated by Powers artist Michael Avon Oeming.

Then, about a "month or so" after that, Valve plans to release an add-on for the first Left 4 Dead, an episode that will tell the story of the original survivors' journey to "The Passing." That unnamed Left 4 Dead add-on will only be playable on the original game, not in the sequel.
    Link: Left 4 Dead 2's "The Passing" Coming March, Followed By Comic, More L4D DLC - Left 4 Dead 2 - Kotaku

Two things up front, I have absolutely no confidence in the "about a 'month or so'" after "The Passing" we should see new DLC for the original Left 4 Dead, given the history of delayed releases from Valve and specifically for L4D. I'm also very worried that this will be the start of paid DLC on the PC for Valve. I have nothing concrete to back up or link to for that last statement, just a gut feeling on my part. We'll see in the end I guess.

Re: L4D2 DLC "The Passing" in March, New L4D DLC Later

hopefully valve wont make us pay for the dlc, in wich case most of us will be pissed, and i want to play the l4d1 now, where the autoshotty owned anything
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

I think they had better get their shit together with all of this DLC stuff. The PC has a lot of great games on the horizon and if they want to compete for our time, they had better offer more than just 'more of the same' with regards to the content.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Yeah, I can see L4D2 easily getting lost (at least in sR) behind BF:BC2, Bioshock 2, ME2, SC2, and a whole lot of other games.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

United States [US]
    joe

I mentioned this to vega, but think it deserves some talk here...

CTG for Vega!

I consider both L4D and L4D2 to be "three month games", you play them, and you enjoy them, but they simply do not have lasting appeal. You'll pick them up every now and then (when a new DLC comes out, or an interesting custom map is released), but for the most part they have a very short shelf-life when compared to more traditional multi-player games (e.g. Battlefield, Team Fortress, Call of Duty, etc). By no means am I saying that they are bad games, but they are definitely stuck in their moment it seems.

I think this is the case for a number of reasons, part of it is the extremely scripted nature of the game, and that it's more a hybrid co-op game than a true single-player or multi-player experience. Part of it also is probably by design, if you can crank out a full sequel within a year, then it makes sense to want the players to drop the old game and move onto the new. I also think a major part of it is the technical limitations of the game, the still ever buggy matchmaking, and the truly horrible mod support which is where this game should thrive but it simply doesn't.

Both games (L4D and L4D2) came out in November, and we played them constantly through the new year, but then I think we all pretty much dropped them once you get to the 100 hour mark or so (January/Februaryish). Then you pick them up again with some Late Spring/Early Summer DLC (the Survivor Pack, or the Passing), but only long enough to complete the new content. It's predictable, and it's good fun, but the whole thing to me is getting a bit stale.

Good analysis, Joe. The games lack the "I can't believe you made it!" </Tao's voice> factor. The hoardes are nice, but when I think about all of them together, they're cookie cutter. Not much going on. You just hold down your melee key and survive, or you get incapped. Chopping off heads and arms is nice, but it doesn't really do much. The game fighting becomes predictable and passe'. If they could make the common infected experience more interesting, or do something with dynamic map routes, or add in something random (like a survivor getting infected, and forcing some type of side quest in that map to cure them) it'd be great. As it is, L4D2 pretty much went down exactly like the first. You play each map until you get the hang of them, the challenge is gone, and there's ver little reason to go back to it. With 4 - 5 maps, it doesn't last long.

What I do like doing is survivor mode, and if I got more invites to that, I'd be playing

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

there's one single thing that could be done to save L4D/2: a complete free sandbox of a city.

no preconceived routes. randomized safe houses in logical locations (Costco/supermarkets, walmarts, hospitals, military facilities, mansions, jails). randomized hordes (but mostly smaller groups of zombies). logical zombie sites (schools, malls, not just hording around on roadways).

a free roam city would allow more players on a map (16) with equal numbers on each side.

Now, that's an entirely different game, but that's a game that could survive longer than a few months.

@coffee...

my god that would be epic

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

GTA: Zombies.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Germany [DE]
    UI

agreed, free roam would be SO much more fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast