Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Evil Within - Recommended System Requirements (Bethesda)

Re: The Evil Within - Recommended System Requirements (Bethesda)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    locked at 30fps is dumb. likely done that way to keep the "experience" the same. if you don't have a monitor with higher than 60hz then you don't know what you're missing. Do people not remember one of the main reasons people didn't move from CRT to LCD back in the day - not just the ghosting issue? but because they looked like crap compared to the more typical 90-100hz CRT monitors (though more mainstream would still be 75hz). I have 144hz... and it's a night and day difference between that and 60hz. going from that to 30hz/fps is just.... silly.
    30 is crap. You certainly notice it because of screen tearing. Just like on TV when the camera pans real fast, you can't make shit out of it. It's even worse with games when the monitor refresh isn't locked to the frame getting generated. The lower the FPS the more noticable it becomes. I have personally always found 60fps to be the minimum to where it's comfortable to my eye. Anything lower, I can see the screen tearing, more so when the scene is rapidly changing, such as during character movement or running or panning. and it detracts from the immersion. so I agree with you. I mean that's one of the reason for having a computer at all. They try to side-step this by adding screen blur, to diffuse the tearing, but it does not always help
    DanFortH and FuzzyLogik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    30 is crap. You certainly notice it because of screen tearing. Just like on TV when the camera pans real fast, you can't make shit out of it. It's even worse with games when the monitor refresh isn't locked to the frame getting generated. The lower the FPS the more noticable it becomes. I have personally always found 60fps to be the minimum to where it's comfortable to my eye. Anything lower, I can see the screen tearing, more so when the scene is rapidly changing, such as during character movement or running or panning. and it detracts from the immersion. so I agree with you. I mean that's one of the reason for having a computer at all. They try to side-step this by adding screen blur, to diffuse the tearing, but it does not always help
    Yup - for the longest time the most sought after hardcore gaming monitor was a 26" (i believe) Trinitron made back in the late 90ies... it was 160hz. I remember getting a 110hz CRT back then and it was a leap just over the 60-75hz monitors. i hate blur - one of the first things i always turn off. Had a discussion with some time ago about Hz and frame-rates... a lot of them believed that you really can't notice the difference above 60 hz. had to laugh. your eye can detect and discern images at above 400 fps (fighter pilots were specifically studied in that aspect).
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

refresh rate ≠ frame rate

Seriously, do you guys sit in a theater complaining for 2 hour about the 24fps frame rate?
    akabaloo likes this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    refresh rate ≠ frame rate

Seriously, do you guys sit in a theater complaining for 2 hour about the 24fps frame rate?
    no it doesn't equal it, but the higher the refresh rate the higher the actual fps you'll be able to see. if you are getting 120fps and have a 60hz monitor you'll get a bunch of screen tearing and other graphical issues because your monitor is not capable of showing that frame rate (which is why in most all games you can cap your fps to your refresh rate as it can generally give you a better viewing experience if you get consistently higher fps over the hz of your monitor (not so much if you dont). If you've played a game like Battlefield on a high end gaming rig and on a 60hz monitor, even if it's on a high quality monitor, playing it on a nice high hz monitor like 120 or 144hz is a completely different and significantly better gaming experience on the same machine. I'd currently rather have high hz over 4k - though it'll probably be just a year or two before they have monitors with high hz and 4k.

And i typically don't complain about 24 fps in movies... since they aren't games :P though i think higher fps on those would help with actually being able to see action (one of my pet peeves of a lot of action is that they use it to show chaos and a cheap way to really not have to show a lot of detail in a scene. i feel like it's a crutch... and you can't tell what the heck is going on). I'm hoping that a new standard for Bluray (or whatever replaces it) will double the 24fps (which was set as the standard nearly 100 years ago because of how expensive the physical medium that film is - there's no reason to keep to that standard any more) - i wouldn't mind being able to see the Hobbit movies in the 'new' format on the home theater.
    akabaloo likes this.

the refresh rate of your monitor needs to at least be matched by the output of the video card. otherwise, it tears. Just like when you aim a camcorder on a CRT and see scan lines. those can be locked together. That is a separate but related issue. this is what vsync and triple bufffering deal with on a PC. But when it is physically limited to 30 fps, we get right back to noticeable tearing because of the acuity of the human eye
    Last edited by VincentVega; 10-10-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Though I give it something like a week before somebody figures out how to remove the 30 FPS cap. Though i would have to laugh a bit if the game itself is designed around that. Anybody remember playing games that actually used your clock (CPU) speed for a 'timer' in a game? LOL - I remember "Hard Drivin'" on a 60Mhz (something like that) PC and then there was a "turbo" button that set the CPU to 90Mhz - the game was unplayable as you drove around at like a thousand mile an hour and would crash about a second after starting a race. lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12