Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: No Man's Sky Shitpost Thread

Blog Entries

No Man's Sky Shitpost Thread

I have not heard too many good things about it. Sounds like it is turning out to be another Hype train that shows up at the station with half of a caboose that was promised. I would like to hear from someone in the sR community that has actually played it.

Last edited by DennyCrane; 08-20-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Re: Has anyone played No Man's Sky?

The hype train was perpetuated by Sony and crazed fans, that's it. It's a space exploration/survival game. If you like that type of game, then good, you'll enjoy playing it, the graphics, the music, the feel of the game. You look at what was promised by the developers, then you look at what people were expecting from the game, you'll see vastly different viewpoints. I chose to purchase because I wanted to experience it for myself.

With that being said, it does get repetitive and droll. You land on a planet, look for resources or checkpoints to upgrade your suit/ship/armor. You either spend time and explore or you jet off to the next planet and look for different things.

Yes, the galaxy is procedurally generated, but the animals and flora on each planet, especially ones in the same solar system, tend to be similar to eeach other, which makes sense, scientifically speaking. All these assets are generated from a set pool of resources. While they are all different, they may not be different enough for some. I mean realistically speaking, there's like 5 different types of rhinoceros, a thousand large cats, a billion birds and a kajillion insects on this planet. An outsider would probably say, "Yeah, they're all slightly different, but they all look the same to me"

Let's also point out that the loudest people in the room are going to be heard over everyone. Of all the negative reviews I've seen, I have read just as many positive ones. People aren't sharing the negative ones because they played the game and liked it. A lot of those shares come from people who just want to cast it in a negative light saying "I told you so" but never really had the desire to purchase the game in the first place.

I look at this game like I look at Destiny. Destiny at launch was a hot heaping pile of disappointment, made even more hot by the fact that it was made by Bungie, a giant dev with lots of money and fame who created, arguably, one of the best series of games ever. (I really don't like HALO at all, I've tried to play it but it's not for me, but I can give credit where it's due).

This game is like Destiny, except made by a small indie studio, where instead of the hype and expectation coming from them, it came from the publisher and the fans who wanted the most ambitious game of the century to come from a small team of less than 20 people. They were setting themselves up for disappointment from the beginning, so that's where all the hate comes from.

Personally, I've only played the game for a couple hours since Tuesday, only because I've been busy and haven't had any chance to game except for those couple of hours this week, but I liked the potential of what I saw. I really only have scratched the surface of this game (literally because all the underwater areas can be explored too with proper equipment) but I do want to see more of the world and the universe they have created.

As far as the multiplayer goes, I didn't buy the game for multiplayer, and the developer never hyped it up as a 'mutiplayer' game but more like a shared universe game. The chances are almost none to meet another player, but a couple of streamers managed to attempt to meet on the same planet in the same area, but they still could not see each other. Whether the dev decided to patch it in when no one was looking or not or omit it, is probably the biggest gripe I have, because they weren't exactly forthcoming with information. However, if you analyze the streams, you can see that one player had daytime, and another player had evening time, which would indicate either different servers, or some sort of issue with localized time. There were some issues with servers at launch, but it did not prevent me from playing the game at all.

I like the game so far, but that also comes from someone who doesn't understand the appeal of minecraft at all, or was not intrigued whatsoever with any HALO game, or really any other games people say are great (Bloodborne, Witcher, Dark Souls, etc). No Man's Sky is the type of game where you have to make your own narrative, and if you watch someone else play, they have to have an interesting one themselves, or else you'll be taken by the monotony or boring aspects of the game you would be too engaged to see anyway.

PS, the devs have stated, quite matter of factly, that they will not be doing paid DLC or addons, and all future updates will be free, similar to how GTA Online has been doing. They discussed basebuilding (Which I could take or leave) and Space Freighter building (Which is something I could get behind) but we'll see about all of that.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions about the game feel free to ask me, I'll try to remember to check this website, as I tend to stay away during political seasons :-D

Cheers
    Last edited by akabaloo; 08-12-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    Bojingles and Kage like this.

More balanced reviews of NMS:

Review: No Man's Sky captures the thrill of exploration | GameCrate

No Man's Sky Review in Progress - IGN

No Man's Sky Review in Progress - GameSpot

Honestly I think the best thing they could do with this game is add a website that catalogues all the species you've found and maps them out so other people can go and look at things they might want to see for themselves.

Blog Entries

At this point it just seems like a game that was mismanaged in a few ways. Publicity, public opinion, expectations, price range, amount of content, etc.

If you could actually customize or build anything, like in any other survival game, then it would be better! Think of the planet generation with Space Engineer level of customization, that would be a good survival game. But looking at it now the whole game turns into " shit broke, collect resources, go to another planet, shit broke again, repeat". As far as I can see there are not any other accolades or pre-built goals and purposes for flying around.

Honestly if you wanted a game where you could explore space and experience "Planetary Tourism 2016" You certainly would have been better off with Space Engine. A free universe sandbox simulator. Planets are realistic, distances are real, a database of actual star charts and planetary information collides with procedural generated worlds and galaxies. You can choose to fly around in free mode and explore at insane speeds. Or choose to fly in simulation mode with a chosen ship, attempting to make flight paths and landing attempts with limited speeds.

Last edited by Kage; 08-12-2016 at 05:25 PM.

There is a lore about the galaxy if you choose to explore it and learn more about that red diamond thing you see on the cover art, or the origin of the universe. Of course, you could choose to ignore it and go about exploring or doing whatever you want. The alien NPCs that sit around and do nothing until you find them and talk to them are pretty static, but when you first interact with them, you don't know any of the language, and you kind of fumble your way through interactions. But as you progress in your relationships with the certain races, you begin to learn more of their words, and you understand more of what they're saying so that increases your rep with them as well.

When you discover new species, you can name them and upload the discoveries, which gets you credits. You can also use trading as a source of income, by crafting items or collecting resources, and selling them that way. There are planets that are radioactive to your character, which you have to watch for the depleting radioactivity protection bar. Then there are other planets at are completely fine to walk around without having to worry about that at all.

This game isn't realistic, it is highly stylized, and simple controls. It's easy to get into, but there really isn't much going on right now. There is a lot of potential with it, considering base building, trade ship building, etc. but that's not here yet.

Just at the surface, you can look at Minecraft and say, oh that's just collecting blocks and building stuff, but you pretty much craft your own experience with that game and make your own narrative. No Man's Sky doesn't have those mechanics to make it a completely customizeable experience yet, so that's why many people don't like it. It's trying to be like Space Minecraft without all the options or depth to it yet. But if you like exploration games, then it would be cool to play.

Is it worth $60 to play it though? Ehhhh I can't say I'd spend it if I were anyone else, but I liked what I saw, and I bought it for what it was, and I really just wanted to play it for myself. No ragrets here.

Blog Entries

I think the entire game could be forgiven if it was priced for a third of the current tag.

Im enjoying the atmosphere and the kinda calm chilled out exploration. I think it could be something special if they added a bit more depth to it. Some fantastic ideas inside though , just needs to be fleshed out more.
    Last edited by MisterX; 08-15-2016 at 07:04 AM.
    akabaloo likes this.

I agree, and it seems like they are heading towards that end goal. Destiny when it first came out was the same exact way: There wasn't much to do, the story was boring and short, and none of the lore was in the game or easily accessible. Now you look at it two years after launch and it is a completely different game from where it began. The difference with these two games is that Destiny was released by a huge game developer and massive budget and really had no excuse for how the game was released.

I was going to quit last night around 10pm, but I decided to head to one last planet, and as soon as I landed, there were friendly animals everywhere and some really cool looking ones as well. I'm going to try to upload some pictures of the ones I found, but I think I'll be staying on this planet for a while lol

Blog Entries

That T-rex has no eyes

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast