Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Apple's Mountain Lion

Re: Apple's Mountain Lion

And if it catches some malware just say I'm a technologist.

On the Safari front, this is another one of those they should have done this long ago. But since there is no such thing as a secure flash version they should all be disabled.

New Apple Safari disables ancient, insecure Flash versions | ZDNet

yuck. I used safari once and nearly vomited. installed chrome right after

Has anyone here... or anyone that anyone here knows... ever had a virus, malware, exploit or anything hit them that was directly attributable to Flash? Sorry, I'm chalking this up to simply a continuation of dead steve's hatred of Flash.

Is Flash going away? Sure looks like it.
    Will everything go HTML5? Probably.
    Is there still a shit-ton of Flash on the net? Betcherass.

Ol' Steve was dead wrong about Flash on mobile devices. It didn't kill battery life, it didn't lag the platforms. At least on Android, it's fine. I call this a posthumous shot across the bow from Steve.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

most people don't go check where the virus came from, they clean it and move on.

Yeah, but here, we're a lil' more tech-savvy than most people.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Has anyone here... or anyone that anyone here knows... ever had a virus, malware, exploit or anything hit them that was directly attributable to Flash? Sorry, I'm chalking this up to simply a continuation of dead steve's hatred of Flash.

Is Flash going away? Sure looks like it.
    Will everything go HTML5? Probably.
    Is there still a shit-ton of Flash on the net? Betcherass.

Ol' Steve was dead wrong about Flash on mobile devices. It didn't kill battery life, it didn't lag the platforms. At least on Android, it's fine. I call this a posthumous shot across the bow from Steve.
    I have cleared some weird stuff off computers at my job which I have verified was due to outdated Flash player versions or either misconfigured or outdated Acrobat Reader versions. But all of those infections could have been avoided if javascript were disabled or only enabled for sites a user trusted, of course that would mean 1 or 2 extra clicks to playback a video embedded on a website.

Blog Entries

Gizmodo gave a bad review of Mountain Lion.

Claiming it lacks innovation. Does not really speed or optimize. Big interface problems. Has little new to offer outside of gatekeeper, airplay, notification center, iCloud, and app integration.

Overall, they just say it seems like Apple is scared to do anything.

It feels like Apple has run out of ideas. Or worse, that Apple is too afraid to implement new concepts, fearing it will kill the company's golden goose.
    Think about that for a second: Mountain Lion is conservative and boring—even gaudy at times. Meanwhile Microsoft is pushing the envelope and being innovative and elegant in its approach to user interface.

Yet despite all the above, I find it hard not to "plop" $19 for Mountain Lion OS X 10.8. I'm still running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8.

I have noticed recently that updates have become less and less, especially security updates. Most of the updates now-a-days is camera or printer support, or for iTunes, or Java.
    And this is all pretty much recently. I haven't had an update for ANYTHING in almost a month. This is weird to me, because I'm used to updates at least every 15 days or so.

I figure, I can always return to Snow Leopard when I want, if I so choose, and that there is no real harm in trying out mountain lion. The only thing I am afraid of is if I have to setup dual-boot (Windows 7 64 bit) again. I don't remember how I initially got it on my computer. It's one of the upgrade CDs from Microsoft that I got for the student rate, and not an actual full OS.
    Last edited by Tulkas; 07-25-2012 at 12:18 PM.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

just iCloud integration and airplay would be worth the 20, I would think.

I really think Apple is considering their next huge move in the OS world. They've gone conservative on iOS and OSX, and I think they're looking at what to do next for both - like Microsoft, they want a single base of their OS, and Apple needs a new interface to do it. I expect a big shift from them in the next year or two.

This is the Apple without Jobs. It's like M$ without Gates

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast