Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Apple's Mountain Lion

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Apple's Mountain Lion

bringing the wonder of iOS to OSX. Note: no more 'Mac OSX', just 'OSX'. ponder.

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion. Even more innovation comes to the Mac.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Apple's Mountain Lion

Apple drops support for original Macbook Air, others:

Mountain Lion drops support for several older Mac models | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

with predictable Applesponse from the faithful commenters:

To be fair, Mountain lion isn't "Dropping support" for anything- it's not continuing the support of its predecessor. Your circa-2007 Mac still does everything it did when you bought it, and more.

Sounds quite Googley. And if it's a unified OS combining both larger and smaller OS paths, it's Windowy, too. But I'm sure we're not allowed to say anyone did anything before Apple, let alone better.

And, there's this...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Apple drops support for original Macbook Air, others:

Mountain Lion drops support for several older Mac models | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

with predictable Applesponse from the faithful commenters:
    "It's not a tax increase, it's the elimination of a tax cut!"
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Actually, I will give Apple a lot of credit here. If you look at their product evolution history via that link, they have done everything in their power to say FU to their customers and tempt them to jump brands. Every few months they release a breaking change, either in the software or the hardware. And they are totally unabashed about it. I guess they really do want to be the opposite of Microsoft, whose O/S kernels are full of old, bloated, and slow backward support going on 20 years in some cases. But that's the price you pay when people actually use your software to run everything.

But, to just make a hard design decision like that, and stick to it, that is something you don't see a lot of in this industry. It takes a certain kind of balls to donkey-punch your customer base as a company mission statement. It IS kind of cool. I just don't see how the fuck they stay in business doing that. And I'm even more amazed I don't see opinion people screaming their headoff via links on the sidebar of every damn site I visit, like I do for the Windows gripe of the week.
    jsd91741 likes this.

OK I like the gatekeeper idea, it's similar to the unknown sources option in Android. If only it would come to IOS there would be no need to jailbreak aside from maybe SBSettings.

Security experts: Apple did Mac OS X Gatekeeper right | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

I wonder what Mountain Lion will break? Apple always breaks something with new versions. Like how Lion broke FreeNAS support via Time Machine.
    Apple Brings Mobile To The Desktop With Mac OS 10.8 | Techcitement*

they've broken a bunch of other stuff (back-up software for large networks - Mac's can't pull data from archives). Im just curious as to what they'll call the next version of the OS..OS XI? name it after food maybe? Birds? Start off with OS XI Hummingbird and end with Eagle? Lol...
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Steve at 200 pounds, Steve at 150 pounds...
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Cross platform game center games, kewl story bro.

Ok, since I have this, now...

"Just released, and coming in at 370 MB in size, the Mac OS X 10.7.4 update includes general OS fixes, and addresses more than 30 security vulnerabilities. But aside from typical security fixes, Apple has made an interesting move in an effort to protect users. Through this latest software update, Safari 5.1.7 will now automatically disable older — and typically more vulnerable — versions of the Adobe Flash player. While many software vendors would prefer OS makers to keep their hands off their software, the move appears to be welcomed by Adobe, which has constantly battled vulnerabilities in its widely installed Flash Player."
    Such a clear alternative to Windows. Such a deal!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, I'm scared as hell to surf anywhere or download anything on my Mac.

but they cant get viruses!!!

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast