Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Too bad Craig isn't around anymore...

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Too bad Craig isn't around anymore...

BH is highly valued for its diversity, blue chip involvement, and high rate of return to investors. It is nothing like Apple, which depends on product rumor and a loyal consumer base to inflate value while storing cash.

They've never split, and more importantly... and relevantly... have never paid a dividend. It's a good example of the mindset of a company seeking stockholders who want to own part of the company Vs stockholders who want an investment with a return. Like Apple, you can buy into BH once, hold, sell, make money and try again at the new high price.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

isn't BH running something like 70% annual? that's a nice return when you sell. just saying Apple is nothing like BH.

I saw my neighbor's portfolio. He is getting up to 11.5% return on some investments. I almost shat myself when I saw that.

sounds safe. I like anything from 10-15%, decent return without too much risk. I generally put about 20% into higher risk, the rest in medium and low.

BH returned that in about 10 years... which is great... but my point is, both are high cost stocks (obviously, BH an extreme) that do not pay dividends and are geared to the long-term investor, not someone looking to get in and get out. Microsoft on the other hand, if you reinvest all returns and dividends, factor in the splits, has averaged a 25% annual return over the last 8 years.

BH, APPL, ect... they're just fund holdings these days due to the price. APPL's upside is still tremendous. Nearly every Wall Street analysts has a strong BUY on the stock right now. I don't play individual stocks, just funds through my 401K, but I've always targeted those with a sprinkling of tech. Three of my five holdings have significant amounts of APPL stock in them, but the problem is that many funds are required to sell off a portion of a company if its % of the total fund portfolio becomes too high. This is happening with APPL right now. Luckily, there are plenty of other funds dying to get in on the action.

Splits and dividends are legacy products for better economic times. Right now, the smart companies are doing exactly what APPL is... hoarding cash, investing (and Apple is doing more of this than anyone) in supply chain and logistics, funding the development of new technologies (retina display factories, aluminum machining plants) with an agreement that Apple gets 100% of outputs for a period of time, and other aspects of legally and organically locking competitors out of spaces.

Tim Cook has proven that he is as shrewd as Jobs ever was... maybe more.

With Win8 and its promising UI for tablets on the horizon, MS would be wise to begin integrating further up the value chain. A buy of Nokia would be a great starting place in my estimation. This could lock them into a solid hardware solution for their flagship mobile devices (Look at Google/Motorola). Then, focusing on content in the media world (e.g., movies, TV), and bringing more developers into the Win8 world. Aborting Steve Ballmer would also probably happen around this time. He served his purpose, but the industry is moving beyond his scope. I'm still holding out for a Gates return... I just believe it could happen.
    VincentVega and Pale.Rider like this.

Well stated. hey craig! how ya been?

Excellent... how's things here?

All 11 active users here at sR are doing great... sigh. I miss the old days.

Duke popped in the other day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast