Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: strafeRight IRC Tutorial

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar

strafeRight IRC Tutorial

Have had a few people ask, so decided to write this up.

First thing you'll need is an IRC client - the best one is mIRC, and that is what I will be using for this guide.

Once you download and install mIRC, start it up and you will see the options dialog pop up, starting on Connect

E-Mail: Your email address, most people do not use their real one (y2@straferight.com)
    Nick Name: What your name will show up as on IRC. If you are a part of strafeRight, be sure to use sR- as the tag before your name so we know who you are. (sR`YankeeDeuce)
    Alternate: If someone else is already using the Nick Name you you've chosen on IRC, you will be known by this alternate name instead. (sR-YankeeDeuce)

Once you have filled out the Connect area, select Connect -> Servers to enter the IRC Server information. For the IRC Server drop down, find and select GameSurge: Random US Server (or EU Server if in Europe)

After that select Connect -> Options and follow the screenshot below.

Next click the Perform button. This will run commands when you connect to a server.
    Select the Perform on connect check box. Then click the Add button next to Network and select GameSurge from the drop down box. In the perform text box, enter this information:
    /authserv auth username password
    /nick sR-Name
    //mode $me +x
    /j #straferight

Now when you startup mIRC, it will connect to a server, auth you (more info about that later), set your nick, hide your hostmask, and join certain channels (in this case, #straferight)

AuthServ
    AuthServ is how channels remember you. The fastest and easiest way to learn is by going here: http://gamesurge.net/newuser/ and reading how to register and then do it. Be sure to remember your username and password so you can enter it later.

That is all I have for now, I will update this later with more IRC tips, commands, etc. If you have any questions let me know.

Also, the official strafeRight IRC channel is #strafeRight @ irc.gamesurge.net

DCC by sweetness
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetness
    Bumped to add this. Dcc Sends. Most people should learn how to do this because it allows for things like quick sends, fserves, dcc chats, and other things. I use it because you dont always want to give people you met on irc your aim/msn/ftp info to send them something.

Before we start you need access to your router and knowledge of how to forward ports to your computer. This means you should also have a static ip on your network (so its always fowarded to the right comp).

1. Open the mirc options window (folder + hammer icon).
    2. Connect > Options: Click advanced.
    3. Check dcc and enter the port range you want. Make it a small range and something random between 2000-5000. I use 4880-4885. Keeps it off regularly used ports. You dont need 5 ports, I just happen to do a number of fserve things on other servers. 2-3 ports should be plenty. (other example ranges could be 3465-3467 or something).
    4. Make sure randomize ports is UNchecked and hit ok and close mirc options.
    5. Forward those same ports to your computer in your router configuration
    6. To test, right click on someones name and to dcc > send to send a file.

If people want I can also write a few more tutorials on how to do some simple irc scripting for things like fserves and alias/text commands. Mirc is probably one of the most customizable programs out there, its just that most people dont know how to use it.

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar
    #strafeRight

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

Double Yummy Happy Swirl KenseiBurt's Avatar
    Great work Yankee. Getting mIRC working for the first time can be an daunting and troublesome experience.

Thanks Tyrant, for being my IRC mentor.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.---That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by Burt McGurt
    Great work Yankee. Getting mIRC working for the first time can be an daunting and troublesome experience.

Thanks Tyrant, for being my IRC mentor.
    No problem, Burt. :thumbup:

Nice tutorial Yankee. :headbang:

If anyone needs any more help setting up IRC, just let Yankee or I know and we'll be happy to help.

and if anyon needs any help setting it up on Trillian, I'll make a Tutorial as well... since i seem to be the only one who likes running it on Trillian

United States [US]
    joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukefrukem
    and if anyon needs any help setting it up on Trillian, I'll make a Tutorial as well... since i seem to be the only one who likes running it on Trillian
    that'd be awesome if you could duke...

Quote Originally Posted by plageclochard
    that'd be awesome if you could duke...
    well alrighty then... ill start it now and finish it when i get back from class (4ish)

If you’re like me, and like doing everything the opposite of Yankee just to piss him off, then you’ll want to run IRC on Trillian. The cool thing about trillian is you can run all your messenger aps like AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, MSN, IRQ on one application. You don’t need to buy Pro you can download Basic.

After you’ve installed it, go to the taskbar at the top and use the pull down Trillian -> Connections -> Manage My Connections

Click on the Add a new connection… button at the bottom and select the white dot, IRC.

Type in the following info as show in the respective boxes.

Server Alias: Your real name or Nick name, it doesn't matter
    Nick Name: What your name will show up as on IRC. If you are a part of strafeRight, be sure to use sR- as the tag before your name so we know who you are. (sR-Dukefrukem)
    Username: The user name you used to sign up for IRC
    User Info: Anything you want (I don’t put anything)

Irc.trillian.com::6667: Click on the button, and scroll down to the Gamesurge (you may have to click to refresh the serve list) Double click on GameSurge and select GameSurge: Random US server.

Click on the change button next to connect and fill out the following screen as shown.

Type in:

/join #straferight; (the semicolon are important between commands )
    /join #any other channels you want to connect to
    /authserv auth username password (the username and password being the ones you made when you signed up at GameSurge)

Also check off reconnect on disconnect.

Click the Miscellaneous tab and check off, Rejoin channel when kicked (or at least I have to because Yankee and Plage kick my face in, everywhere I go) and Rejoin channels on connect.

Now you’re pretty much set, so save go back to your connections screen and hit connect.

If you’re not connecting and want to check the status, right click on the White DOT on your Trillian interface and select Show Status Window. This will let you know if IRC is pissed off because: “Error: Your host is trying to (re)connect too fast – throttled”

Also check out http://www.trillian.cc/help/ for an awesome manual and help forums.

Any questions also just post in here and I’ll help out.

The end dot com

United States [US]
    joe
    duke, there should be a semicolon between commands (thanks sigh!!!) :banana:

fixored in text, maybe ill take another SS

Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast