Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StrafeRight! team for Folding@Home

StrafeRight! team for Folding@Home

If you haven't heard of it, Folding@home is distributed computing project to do calculations for protein foldings to solve mysteries about diseases like Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes. It's like SETI@home but actually useful. It's one of the largest supercomputers in the world.

This has led to multiple scientific findings, which you can find out about on their homepage.

What you do is download a small client that utilizes your idle CPU time to do calculations for protein foldings. You can set it to run as a screensaver, or to always run (using only idle time). It's set to low priority so it barely affects games (although you can pause it if you want).

If you want to participate, you can join a team, where everyone combines their stats to form a team score. I made a StrafeRight team. Apparently there already was a SR team, but there are only 2 members, qAPOPHISp and someone using a PS3, and they haven't done any folding since last year, and I don't know who they are. I didn't see any threads here about it either. If anyone knows who they are then maybe we can contact them and use their team. I had to make the team name StrafeRight! (with an exclamation mark). So if you want to join the team, our team ID is 111414 and page is here.

You can also run this on a PS3, or even on some GPUs (I think only some ATI ones). The GPU one runs the best.

So if you want to contribute your PC downtime to a useful cause, please join! I know a lot of you have awesome multi-core CPUs which is great for this. You don't even need a good internet connection because it only downloads the file once per work unit, does the calculations locally, then sends the results back.
    Last edited by Teck; 04-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.

I've actually been participating in this for over 10 years now. I don't mind switching teams. I'll switch it up later.

Cool. I just started!

Ok well I found out that the StrafeRight team was a PS3 team made from http://www.straferight.com/forums/so...home-team.html

Does that mean PS3s only, or can anyone join? If so, then I guess we should just switch to that team?
    Last edited by Teck; 04-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.

DSR
    Fragged
    But... but.... but.... if you cure Mad Cow and Alzheimer's Denny Crane won't be quite as funny!

I guess that's a risk we'll all have to take.
    Last edited by Teck; 04-11-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Gimme ur moneyz...NOW!!! NoobToast's Avatar
    Are there any PC minimum requirements, or can the crapyiest PC in the world be used?
    TF2 Addict

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStormRising View Post
    But... but.... but.... if you cure Mad Cow and Alzheimer's Denny Crane won't be quite as funny!
    wow DSR mabey you can get cured too!!

sorry had to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobToast View Post
    Are there any PC minimum requirements, or can the crapyiest PC in the world be used?
    Nope, any (barely modern) computer can do it. All it takes is time and a minimal internet connection to receive to initial data and send the finished product.
    Last edited by Teck; 04-11-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    I installed it and put the teamid in... It uses about ~25-30% of each of my cores...
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Blog Entries
    i'm on it now... my pc will be crankin out dat sh*****!!!

Writer: Ugh, this post is heavy! Someone get me a wooden beam!
    Moderator: That post better be up to code or Heads WILL Roll :furious:
    Writer: It's set! See? :thumbup:
    [Crash]
    Moderator: ... [Ban]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM