Thread: Another internet needing help thread

Another internet needing help thread

So maybe this is because of Vista, but here's my situation. I'm home on break now, and I have yet to lose my internet connection (running wireless from a linksys 802.11g router) It hasn't cut out it hasn't slowed down, it's been perfect.

Now, when I'm at my fraternity house on campus, there will be times when my computer randomly loses all connections (we have two routers, same model as at home, one acting as the main router and another as an extender on the 2nd floor) I can't see any networks until I reboot my computer, no matter how long I leave it.

I'm wondering, is this issue because of Vista, or because there's 24 other guys using the internet and the signal is just so low that my computer gives up?
    Too much engineering, not enough gaming.

Could be a Vista hardware issue, I've had a couple friends have problems with Vista, mainly 64 bit. They downgraded to 32 and it solved most of their problems. Hopefully Windows 7 solves all Vista problems.

GO BUCKS!!!
    Shotty h4x FTW!!!

:Rig:
    -(Asus P7P55D)-(Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz)-(4GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333)-(Saphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5)-(Antec 850w)-

Quote Originally Posted by Unbroken View Post
    Could be a Vista hardware issue, I've had a couple friends have problems with Vista, mainly 64 bit. They downgraded to 32 and it solved most of their problems. Hopefully Windows 7 solves all Vista problems.

GO BUCKS!!!
    That sounds like more of a driver issue.

I take it you're on a laptop, Not two different PCs right? Does the connection on campus have security enabled? Does it happen all throughout the dorm, or just in your room?

Wireless has a tendency to be flaky as shit and never the same from building to building. Make sure all your wireless drivers are updated. If you can make sure the router/ap firmwares are up to date (yours at home could be more current).
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

Yeah I'm on a laptop. I'll update my drivers. The connection only seems to drop off in the house (we have security enabled) but when I'm in the library or any other hotspot I never have an issue (all school connections have security).

And I have access to the routers, I'll double check that they're up to date. It's just weird because no one else in the house seems to be having this issue, so I'm pretty sure it's my computer, but I wasn't sure where to start.

Thanks guys
    Too much engineering, not enough gaming.

Vista has been known to have issues with certain Access Point chipsets. We have had a similar issue over here at UTD, where the wireless networks have had some problems with Vista they resolved the issue within a few months and replaced the older hardware. It also seems Windows 7 is more reliable on the networks as well, ignoring that Windows 7 is just better in general. I believe Vista SP1 solved most of the wireless issues, but you can't get them all. I would almost suggest doing an upgrade to Win7 when the RC comes out, but do a full disk-level backup first just incase for some reason it doesn't like your computer. My 2 towers at home required no additional drivers that I needed to install (all were built in or on windows update), and the only computer I needed drivers for (and that was a pain) was my MacBook Pro. (Also, the AlienWare Aurora M9700 seems to be ALERGIC to Windows7 beta... maybe the RC will work...).

tl;dr:
    But yeah... Vista has known wireless issues, some are local driver issues, some are just odd incompatablilities with some AP chipsets, SP1 fixed *most* of them. Win7 still has some small issues, but seems to work a lot better, it might be worth a shot...

Thanx DanFortH