Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon DSL and Gaming

United States [US]
    joe

Verizon DSL and Gaming

Hey, does anyone here have Verizon DSL service? How well does the connection hold up, and what's your typical browsing, downloading and gaming experience with it?

Even if you don't have Verizon DSL, but have DSL with another company, what's your general experience with it?

(and please don't suggest cable or fios, one I already have, the other isn't an option)

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    FiOS!

Sorry, had to be done (although I'm on Comcast ATM).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

I had verizon DSL for a year in SW virginia. I switched to it from Comcast cable because comcast was having serious latency troubles.

With Verizon, my latency was significantly improved. I got an average ping of 30 to all the sR servers 24/7. The connection was stable there; I also received no packet loss at any time.

There were two downsides to dealing with verizon DSL. The first was the download speed. While it was fairly constant, I rarely got over 300kb/s at any time on their network. However, for the constantly good latency, this was well worth it for me.

The other downside was dealing with verion's billing service itself. They charged me for their "game service" for a number of months despite me specifically requesting it not be included in my service. Their billing department was also frustrating to deal with, and I frequently found myself being bounced from representative to representative.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    damn, that's big!

DSL is the new dialup. on Verizon 3Mb/768k service, I get about 2.5Mb down. The reliability has been fine, and my pings are great. But considering the technical limitations of it, it's just not in the class of cable or fiber. If you can deal with that, it's fine. Don't forget to factor in the cost of a local service pots line if you don't already have it. My service is $30 / month on a telco line I already had. No complaints with it.

By the way, I've had this for years, and my modem-router still works. I recently turned it into a dumb modem though and put a WRT45G2 on the front of it. Works fine

I've had probably 2 problems gaming with it, and even then it was a backbone provider problem. Got fixed within a few days. Browsing is fine. It's a mature technology. Doing big downloads is the problem. It took me about 25 hours to download the Witcher (14.5GB)
    Last edited by VincentVega; 10-18-2009 at 05:46 PM.

You should just get cable or fios...

This sucks, you are considering Version DSL as the cheap alternative, when were I live, it costs $40 for 384kbps down....over 50% of people in this area are still on dial-up...

Gamer
    -
    PhenomX3 720BE @3.5ghz, 4gb XMS2, Biostar785GE, HIS HD5830, 1TB Samsung F3 7200rpm sata2, 630watt PSU

Blog Entries
    I have DSL from bellsouth, and I can't stand it anymore. Connection seems so slow sometimes (streaming stuff online) and what not. I have 6.0 down, and I forget what up. Speedtest.com always says I have almost 6, but I test it so often because it truly doesn't feel that way.

I go over to my friend's house with comcast cable, and streaming works much better, as does the rest of the internet browsing. When I used to have cable, I had massive problems, but I think they have obviously made it more stable.

Yeah, streaming aint the best on 3Mb, youtube is hit and miss and forget about HD. Hulu is fine though

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Yeah, streaming aint the best on 3Mb, youtube is hit and miss and forget about HD. Hulu is fine though
    Well that's because Youtube sucks in general. Even on FiOS or 16Mb Comcast its very slow. But Netflix/Hulu streams perfectly fine (even in HD for Netflix).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

United States [US]
    joe
    netflix isn't the greatest test of streaming status, not because the player is bad (like youtube's), but because it's so good and uses silverlight, which will scale to your connection...

(see this - Experience Smooth Streaming : The Official Microsoft IIS Site - it's not as advanced as that, but it shows you what video streaming should be)

the problem with my current connection (cable @ 8-9Mb down, 800k up) isn't speed, it's stability...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast