Thread: Suggestion: Avatar Sizes

Suggestion: Avatar Sizes

First off, I would like to say thank you for increasing the avatar dimensions of the site, and with the userbar on the side instead of on the top, it looks a lot neater when using larger avatars, as it does not take up extra space. however with the allowance of larger dimensions, i think actual size should be up'd as well. I was trying to upload and 80x80 avatar, yet i could not use it cus the file size was too large, and it isn't even a long lasting gif. the current sized are...

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 150 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller).

It should be at least

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 150 by 150 pixels or 200 KB (whichever is smaller).

thoughts?

Tl;dr: Bigger dimension avatars = larger size on disk, need larger size on disk space

Considering hibernation ohmigosh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Suggestion: Avatar Sizes

Hi Anthony, Thanks for the suggestion, let me check this out and I'll come back to you
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."

Germany [DE]
    UI

We've gone through this debate before, and being that I'm the sole person who pissed "everyone" off with my overly-large sigs/avs the first time, I can say that it's best like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by UI View Post
    We've gone through this debate before, and being that I'm the sole person who pissed "everyone" off with my overly-large sigs/avs the first time, I can say that it's best like it is.
    lol wasn't really my plan, wanted something small and simple, but it is really hard to find gif's under 30kb, this one is extremely simple and almost 130kb (aka: one i wanted to use)

Anthony, you is make a good point here. And the quick reply auto-saves. Brilliant.

Blog Entries

I think the biggest concern is the total size of the pages when loading. If you have 10 posts on a page, and each person has a 200kb avatar... Thats an extra 2MB to load. Then, If your like some people and use 40 posts per page, that can easily end up over 8MB of extra avatars to load.

Quote Originally Posted by akabaloo View Post
    Anthony, you is make a good point here. And the quick reply auto-saves. Brilliant.
    So do the PM's, and just about every other text box across the site
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

I also appreciate bigger avatar sizes. Some sites limit you to 10KB max filesize.....that was fine in the 90's but in today's world, we need MOAR!