Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Monster Minis Extreme Off-Road

Re: Monster Minis Extreme Off-Road

I wanted to pop a note out to publicly thank the StrafeRight team and community members for all the help we've had here and will have in the future. As an "indie" developer we have limited resources and probably even more limited training in dealing with getting the word out. This group most of all has been and continues to be helpful in every way possible. In my interactions with the staff here I find that they not only demonstrate good business sense, but also a good heart in dealing with me and helping me overcome my challenges. I don't think enough can be said about who these people are, and I feel that this group will have great success going forward. I'm thankful that I feel I can really call this group my newest friends.
    Tulkas and ohmigosh like this.
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

It would be interesting to see this as a phone/tablet app.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

The rules of the road here suggest some pretty pictures. These are the ones we have right now which highlight the 18 track themes we have throughout the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    It would be interesting to see this as a phone/tablet app.
    I agree, but we'd have to change the overall feel of the game substantially so it could work with a control sceme on that platform. One of the strong points of this game is the way it drives, and that's a tough balancing act. One of our USPs of this game is that fact - we brought back the mouse for steering from relative obscurity, because it is a more sensitive input device. Ultimately I fear that changing that to work on a platform such as a smart phone or tablet would diminish that aspect too much.

Noteably, only some of us more "mature" gamers (myself included) have been around long enough to remember titles like Midtown Madness and the use of a mouse for driving, and we still remember it fondly. It really was brilliant. On top of that, you probably already have the wonderful device in your hand right now that will cotrol your vehicle. You're ready to go!!
    Last edited by Mindwedge; 08-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.

What made me think of the mobile platforms was the retro feel of this game. It reminds me of older Nintendo console games a lot and those were a blast. I'm sure most Android and iPhones could run this game. Controls are pretty simple to implement- replace the mouse with the accelerometer and have other input buttons on-screen.

And yeah, Midtown Madness was pretty good at the time. It was all about the experience of the game over any eye candy. Remember Atari Night Driver in the arcades? Lots of fun and graphics that barely qualified as 8-bit.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    What made me think of the mobile platforms was the retro feel of this game. It reminds me of older Nintendo console games a lot and those were a blast. I'm sure most Android and iPhones could run this game. Controls are pretty simple to implement- replace the mouse with the accelerometer and have other input buttons on-screen.

And yeah, Midtown Madness was pretty good at the time. It was all about the experience of the game over any eye candy. Remember Atari Night Driver in the arcades? Lots of fun and graphics that barely qualified as 8-bit.
    Oh good grief, I NEVER thought I'd hear about Night Driver. You're at least 50 years old aren't you (well I am anyway - 52)? We do have a lot in common! I set records on that machine and gathered crowds to watch the blinding speeds I was driving at. Yeah I can brag, a bit. It was awesome!

The retro look gets that kind of reponse a lot - people automatically associate it with what they see around them at the time, but the actual graphical needs of rendering an open space like that would choke the processor on a hand-held. It runs good on my XP machine here, but that's about as low of a system as we can do with frame rates that are acceptable.

As a test...
    1 - Do you still have copies of Midtown Madness 1 & 2 at your house?
    2 - Do you still have machines it can run on?
    3 - Did you at any time every own a Commodore Amiga?

My answers:
    1 - Yes
    2 - Yes
    3 - Yes but it's long since gone.
    Last edited by Mindwedge; 08-11-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling, always spelling darn it.

We were talking earlier about the fact that a lot of newer racing games fail to use the mouse the way the olders ones we loved did. You know, that's turning out to be more of an issue than I imagined.
    When someone tells me that they were uncomfotable with the mouse and jumped to the keyboard I scratch my head and wonder why. The keyboard is the worst option of all, but they are becoming trained that way. In no time they return to the mouse, settle down and it works great. But why did they have that instinct? I even had a reviewer say that he needed time to adjust but found it to be the "preferrred method". So my new mantra will be:
    Put down your joypad and listen!
    You're being trained to accept second-rate control schemes. That mouse in your hand all these years should be second-nature to you and is a superior device in any genre of PC gaming. Tell your devs that you want it back!
    That and we'll continue to support it ourselves. Somehow I feel silly about it. Are we micro studios so much the new innovators that we have to re-establish the obvious?

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

You have to appreciate that racing games have long been dominated by the keyboard and arrow keys - other than pure 'looking around' or firing a weapon or changing gears, the mouse wasn't used that much. So people got used to it, and then you are forcing them to go back. That's where they got the instinct from - other games.

The one thing I've learned from 15 years of software is that your users don't have the same opinions that you do - whenever I imposed my will, knowing that my way was the best, they would let me know that it wasn't - and even if I didn't agree, I write software for the client, not for me.

AWESOME!!! I sent a note to Logan Decker at PC Gamer earlier this week about getting an honorable mention in the pages, and I actually got a reply of interest just now. This guy's one of the better editors they've ever had, and now he's Editor-in-chief. I think I need a moment to soak this in.....

This could be huge if I could get a line or two in time for the Steam Greenlight submissions. It could really pump up the "vote count".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast