Thread: Xbox 360 gaming through your computer monitor

Xbox 360 gaming through your computer monitor

More and more people now-a-days are wanting better gaming graphics, higher resolution shots, and the ability to game wherever they go. For me, playing my 360 downstairs in the freezing cold basement on the crappy old tube tv was not feeling right, especially since I have invested good money in such a nice computer setup. I mean why Not use that nice LCD, HD, liquid crystal…. ect monitor for gaming to!? My final Product

The cost. The cheapest setup is going to cost your about 32 dollars at your local microcenter considering the fact you already have a computer monitor, Xbox 360, and speakers with your computer. If you want to do something more like listed below… it’s going to cost you even more.

The benefit. You get up close and personal, HD gaming! That’s right, with this setup (if your monitor is recent and compatible) you will get HD gaming! And you even get to use your nice computer speakers if you have invested a little extra money when you bought them Here’s how….

First…. The supplies

*Digital VGA Cable (Xbox 360)
    *a “Socket Joiner” or cupplier
    *Speaker Adapter (there are 2 ways of doing this…. One is you get red/black speaker adapter like me with a male 3.5 audio end, get a female to female adapter , and connect your green 3.5 audio speaker wire to that, and the other is the simpler way of you get a red/black speaker adapter with a female audio end and plug in the green speaker wire to that, you just skip the adapter step and save about 2 bucks)

Once you get these products, unbox them and lay them on the floor, this will really only take 2 minutes. First, with the Digital VGA cable, you get an extra cable; I never used it or will so I just discarded it. Now, connect the large end of the Digital VGA cable to the back of your Xbox 360, and you then should have 2 ends now on the opposite side, a VGA side for your monitor, and red and white audio ends. For me, I am cheap and like to switch between the monitor and Xbox manually, so to make this easier on myself and less damaging of my monitor, I have an extender VGA cable that runs from the back of the monitor to close behind the Xbox, so I can just from there, switch the cables between the 2 systems, very easy. For now, just plug in the VGA cable into the back of the monitor, and be done with it, lol. Lastly you have sound to deal with… the somewhat complicating part.

The reason that Microsoft leaves you with red and white for audio is for the higher end customers who have a “control console or base system” that controls the sound of many things from things like your computer, to your dvd system, cd players, ect. We though, have no use, or need for this red/white combo considering we now have to somehow get the red/white audio to be able to plug into the green audio from our computer speakers. For this, take the red and white cable from the Digital VGA cable you just bought, and plug the 2 wires, 1 each, into the cupplier, or as microcenter calls it, the “Socket joiner”. Now on the other end you should have 2 female ends…. well what a coincidence, you have a “audio adapter” now that has 2 male ends, one black and one red. Plug in the red facing the red, and the black facing the white, it works trust me. Lastly, you can go 2 ways from here, you can either, like stated above, one is you get red/black speaker adapter like me with a male end, get a female to female adapter, and connect your green speaker wire to that, and the other is the simpler way of you get a red/black speaker adapter with a female end and plug in the green speaker wire to that, you just skip the adapter step and save about 2 bucks. Now you should be good to go.

Lastly when you’re done gaming, unplug your VGA cable from your monitor and put your pc one back in, and remove your female to female adapter from your green speaker wire and plug that back in to your computer.

If you are feeling fancy and want to do different things, or make life easier on yourself even more, you can try some of these things…..
    1). Have a switch box for your monitor and Xbox. This is a device that on one end plugs into the back of your monitor and will then have slots in the back of itself so you can the plug in things like your Xbox, computer, playstation, ect… so all you have to do when you want to look at one of your system, is literally flip a switch and you get the picture you selected.
    2). You can go a little cheap than that, like me, and just use a VGA extender from the monitor to behind your box and then unplug and plugin what you want to see. This helps because if you’re constantly flipping between the two like I am, it is SUCH a pain to have to reach behind the monitor and plug them in. Also if you’re not careful, if you do this a lot, you can damage that adapt back there and you’re screwed! If you break a pin or something in that adapter…. Who cares right, get a new 10 dollars adapter, not a 200 monitor (about 10 dollars)
    3). You can use a splitter for your audio so that you can listen to your iTunes music from your computer while gaming through your Xbox. This though presents a little problem... if you leave the splitter constantly connected, when you are just using one machine, the volume is about half as what it should be, but when used together, like iTunes from your computer and playing Xbox, then sound is normal. Also you are increasing the voltage input to your speakers 2-fold which can permanently damage your speakers, Xbox, or even your Sound card! Be careful! I recommend if you go this way to only plug in the splitter when you’re gaming and want music, other than that just leave one connected so you get the best sound quality and it’s not damaging anything. (about 5 dollars + plus you need a audio extender for your computer which is about 7 dollars, so 12 dollars)

4). You can get a sound switcher that works the same way as the video switcher. You just connect your computer to it and your Xbox, then connect the switcher to your green speaker wire and flip between them without having to dig around behind the computer when you want to game or use the computer. You though can NOT listen to both at the same time, just makes switching between them easier (about 35 dollars)

Hope this helps you guys, especially LilYang who reminded me of the troubling little detail, Thanks for making me do all this work lol. Hopefully some of you guys will give this a try, I was seriously skeptical, yet now I’m never going back, it’s gaming in HD baby! lol

Hit me back if you thought this was helpful or if you have suggested improvements or other ways to do this thanks!
    cheers zmo!
    Last edited by Zeedead; 06-16-2008 at 02:11 PM.

I just plug the component cables directly into my LCD and switch to Video 2 and I have video and audio.

Works flawlessly and didn't cost me an extra penny.

you could always hook it up to a hdtv.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
    I just plug the component cables directly into my LCD and switch to Video 2 and I have video and audio.

Works flawlessly and didn't cost me an extra penny.
    :yeahthat:

Why would I want to go through all of that hassle.

hell, I really like the attention to detail in that post!

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    Pretty good for people who haven't figured it out yet. good post dude
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

Yeah, it's good information if your monitor doesn't have direct HDMI or Component input.

Keep in mind that even though it says "Digital VGA," [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vga]VGA is still analog[/ame]. So you'll still likely see interference visually.

Digital VGA sounds like a play on words to trick you.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-04-2008, 03:20 AM