Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By akabaloo

Thread: No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky

Hey everyone, unless you've been living under a rock for the past year or two, you've probably heard of No Man's Sky. Trying to describe it in the most basic way possible, it's a sort of space exploration sim. But it's not just that. Developed by Hello Games, the studio behind the Joe Danger games, it is looking to be one of the best games to come out so far this generation.

The magic behind such an ambitious game is that instead of hand-building each planet, environment, or animal, they have employed the use of procedural generation to create these worlds for them. The result? An entire galaxy of planets that are able to be explored, literally quintillions of planets, waiting for players to discover them.

You can collect resources, become a pirate, be a trader, whatever. You can play the game as you want. I'll post some videos and some links, but I didn't see any threads mentioning this game, and I feel like it would deserve its own. IGN is doing a month-long introspective on the game and the studio behind it, and so far, it is really interesting stuff. Maybe this will be the future of games? Perhaps, but we can only wait and see.

Fantastic article from IGN going into the background of the company and people at Hello Games:
    No Man's Sky: From Humble Beginnings - IGN

Here's a Game/Show episode going into the math behind the procedural generation of planets and animals in No Man's Sky:

An 18 minute long gameplay video from IGN:
    Fish111 likes this.

MisterX

Re: No Man's Sky

yep, I'm keen to see how this one ends up. Sounds like it could be very nice indeed

when is this supposed to come out?
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

I don't believe there is a release date for it yet, but last year they said this year lol

I would not be surprised if this gets pushed back to early next year, at the latest.

well ultimately getting finished properly is better... as long as it actually gets finished looks like a pretty interesting game!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Blog Entries

Unless they can add an incredible social aspect to this game, or some intense upgrade and customization system, I think this one might come out and be hardly spoken of after its first year.

Don't get me wrong I am super pumped for this game, I just hope they add a bit more to it rather than just "procedural universe". Get some RPG elements in there, more random encounters, multiplayer improvements and social stuff blah blah blah.

Gotta add some content and balance to the randomness, or it will end up being a grind fest like Elite: Dangerous.

Blog Entries