Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What, Who or Where is a DIPSET?

You Mad Cuz I'm Stylin On You Jewtino's Avatar

What, Who or Where is a DIPSET?

What is Dipset?

Hopefully this will help some of you:

Dipset:

A Harlem based rap group founded by Cameron E. Giles(AKA Cam'Ron, Killa Cam or King Jaffe Joe) and Joseph G. Jones (AKA Jim Jones, Capo Status or Kufi Smacker). Following Cam'Ron's fallout with Epic Records and his former A&R, Lance "Un" Riviera of UnTertainment Ltd. (whom Jay-Z stabbed over Charli Baltimore, BIG's ex fling) the East Harlem native reunited with longtime friend and industry insider George Moore (AKA DukeDaGod), the old Manager for the Supergroup; Children of the Corn[er] (Big L, Killa Cam, Murder Ma$e, Bloodshed & McGruff).

Together they forged an alliance with Cam'Ron's longtime friend Jim Jones (a Spanish Harlem native, of the Taft Housing Projects) to form a new group in the Rap industry, to be called "The Diplomats" AKA DIPSET*1.

Emerging roughly around Cam's last album with Epic, SDE (Sex, Drugs and Entertainment, 1999), they were featured in most if not all of the videos on that album; clearly flashing their custom "DIPSET" tees and sports wear in the "What Means The World To You," video which features a sample of The Police's hit "Roxanne."

With DukeDaGod's help and Cam'Ron's industry ties, Cam inked a 7 figure deal (reportedly valued at $4.5 Million in the form of a Record Advance) with Damon "Dame" Dash, another Harlem native, longtime friend, and business partner to Kareem Biggs and Sean "Jay-Z" Carter. This deal was a multi album exclusive contract with Roc-A-Fella Records, for Cam'Ron himself, that had a clause allowing him to opt another deal for the Dipset Collective, at the time the members included: La'Ron James (AKA Juelz Santana, Human Crack in The Flesh, Rookie of the Year), Jim Jones, Cam'Ron and Ezekial Giles (AKA Freeky Zeekey, Dead-Arm Freek, Slap-The-Shit-Outta-Your-Hood Boxer).

During the making of his album "Come Home With Me," Cam's Roc-A-Fella debut, the Dipset movement began to gain momentum, releasing a number of street videos and "Mixtapes" (no not cassette mixtapes, CD's) via thier Diplomat Records imprint (With Freeky Zeekey fronting the startup money and DukeDaGod acting as Manager and A&R), not affiliated with Roc-A-Fella whatsoever. The first project to feature Cam's Roc material was known as "Diplomats Volume 1" See image below:

Dipset 1-1: Diplomats Volume 1, Hosted by DJ Kay Slay The Drama King. Starting Clockwise: Luca Brazi (Dipset Taliban), Shiest Bubz (Purple City Byrdgang), Cam'Ron (Dipset), Tito Poppins (Rocafella A&R), Kay Slay (NYC DJ), Blackadon (Chief of Security), Jim Jones (Dipset), Juelz Santana (Dipset), Freeky Zeekey was OT (Outta Town) getting $.

What followed this tape was a plethora of street anthems, hood DVD's and one classic single, Oh Boy, produced by Just Blaze (Roc-A-Fella In House Producer) Video Below:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=2nm3LKtX0g0]YouTube - Cam'Ron - Oh Boy: Clean Version[/ame]

Note: Embedding was restricted for this video.

The album "Come Home With Me" which featured inhouse and local production from: Just Blaze, Kanye West, The Heatmakerz, Ty Fyffe, Big Lee, Agallah and DR Period. Was Cam'Ron's biggest commercial success, which went Platinum and spawned several chart topping singles (Oh Boy, Hey Ma & Daydreaming), it featured tracks with guest appearances from: Daz Dillinger (of DPG), Jim Jones, Juelz Santana, Freeky Zeekey, McGruff (from Cam's old group CoC) and Jay-Z.

Following the success of "Come Home With Me," Cam, Duke, Dame and Jones certified The Diplomats deal with Roc-A-Fella/Diplomat Records, the album, to be title "Diplomatic Immunity" was to be a release "for the streets, by the streets." It was a 2-Disc CD featuring and All American layout (Red, White & Blue) and featured all Four Original Diplomats: Cam, Jones, Santana and Zeek. It also begun to spotlight some of the set's street members such as: Frankie Krutches, Un Kasa, and JR Writer (Who was cut from the final release, but made his appearance later on with several mixtapes of his own, he was originally featured on Diplomats Vol. 5). Plus the logo for the Diplomats was trademarked by Cam'Ron himself....

PART 2 WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW.

(I'm Leaving Work, OMW Home)

*1: Dipset is "supposedly" strongly affiliated with the NTG Bloods of West & East Harlem. Blood Gang names are compromised of a mashup of 3 letters and set. For Example NTGSET stands for Nine Tray Gangsta Set (Clique, Group, Possee, etc...).

Primary Source: - DIPSET MIXTAPES -

Secondary Source: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipset]The Diplomats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Alternative Source: u-mad.net | Purple Haze, Diplomatic Immunity 2 | no.1 Dipset Fan site...u mad?

Reliable Source: The Streets you fucking HATERZ.

You wanna play rough? Okay Guntizzle's Avatar
    i actually always did wonder wtf dipset ment
    im not a fan of rap tho

woah, 5 star review. rep ho!

Fluff co. 2009

I use "Dipset" when I mean that I want to leave. i.e.
    "This party is boring, let's Dipset" How are these two terms related?

yea mean same with me

"yo dipset"- lets leave

"dip off the scene"- lets leave this place

steam-mattik13
    matt@straferight.com

Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Halfway through, the loss of Assault, Frank, ASG clan, etc hit him and he wept in his maple syrup puddle.

They are very related, During an incident at a Harlem Basketball Court, Rucker Park, Cam'Ron and Jim Jones were attacked by Junior Mafia and thier associates and you can clearly see Cam'Ron running very fast away from the brawl. Let's use it in a sentence.

"To avoid a losing fight (40 vs. 1) Cam'Ron Dipsetted out of Rucker Court."

1. dipset
    1157 up, 342 down

the DIPLOMATS... cam`ron, juelz santana etc.

DIPSET in the building
    -Juelz Santana: Santana's Town
    by JDIP May 3, 2004 email it
    permalink: del.icio.us
    Send to a friend
    your email:
    their email:
    send me the word of the day (it's free)

2. dipset
    948 up, 360 down

a word to be used when leaving the scene.

playa 1: hey, yo i'm about to dipset, i'll holla at ya lata.

playa 2: ight peace
    by meghan Feb 14, 2004 email it
    3. dipset
    445 up, 112 down

The diplomats, also known as dipset, are a Harlem new york based group who previously signed to Rockefeller records but now are signed to their own label diplomat records. The group was founded by rappers Cameron and Jim Jones. The diplomats first became popular following Cameron's reemergence in 2002.

"Dipset...yup...yeh, yeh, yeh"
    tags dip set dipset diplomats cameron jim jones
    by JewelyouToo NY May 24, 2006 email it

4. dipset
    287 up, 130 down

to leave a place
    also a rap group

a dog lets dipset
    diplomat records

Sources: Urban Dictionary: Dipset

Urban Dictionary: Dipset

as a

Germany [DE]
    UI
    ummm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jewtino View Post
    They are very related, During an incident at a Harlem Basketball Court, Rucker Park, Cam'Ron and Jim Jones were attacked by Junior Mafia and thier associates and you can clearly see Cam'Ron running very fast away from the brawl.
    hahahaha That's hilarious! He ran like Will Smith in Fresh Prince!

jewtino, excellent explanation, however i think for most of us the reply...

"its a rap group you nubs"

...would have been more than sufficient

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    jewtino, excellent explanation, however i think for most of us the reply...

"its a rap group you nubs"

...would have been more than sufficient

Yes very true, but when are passionate about any type of music you wanna go the whole 9 yards.

I will be finishing the other half today after my manager leaves...he checked the browsing history yesterday and I got a lecture.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
  2. 02-25-2008, 12:14 AM