Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OLD Speakers, new HDTV.

Product of Determination Koniec's Avatar

OLD Speakers, new HDTV.

My sister moved out today, and left an old record player, having one since she loved her straight edge punk shit. The player came with two speakers, with great quality. As I heard, older hardware is better because of their quality? Well anyways, I have a 32 inch Toshiba HDTV that I bought to play my 360 on, and was wondering if these jacks:

Would fit into those white and red L and R audio inputs. I'm hesitant in testing, because I know shit all about this stuff and I don't want my investment to blow up in my face haha. Thanks.

i think those "jacks" have to connect to L/R audio output from the TV not input or from the audio out on the xbox, cable/satellite box or whatever. You may need an amp though to get decent sound from the source.

United States [US]
    joe
    those are old RCA cables (phono wire/cable)...the problem that you're going to have is that speakers of that vintage were typically designed to be plugged directly into an amp (which may or may not have been a separate component from the record player), which would provide both juice and the music signal...

I highly doubt that the RCA connectors (the red and white R/L jacks) on the back of the xbox are anything more than just a pure line-out, meaning they won't be able to power the speakers...also, those speakers (while they probably sound very good if they were high quality to begin with), are also most likely to have a low wattage rating, so if you do hook them up to a modern receiver (stereo or home theater), be very careful not to blow them...

Yeah my plan was to hook them through the back of my HDTV, I guess if I am looking to install them ill need an amp, not direct L/R?

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    So if I understand right you want to plug those jacks (which go to a record player or something?) directly into you tv. Right? If that's what you want to try plug them right into the audio jacks on the back of the tv. It should work but if it doesn't I guess your out of luck. Don't worry about messing anything up...in worst case it simply doesn't work. It won't break anything. So try it. Also they should be plugged into the input rca jacks not output. It would only be output if it's speakers.

I just re-read your post and I think you want to use the speakers? In that case you would use the audio ouputs...

I couldn't hear anything DJ_Wheels's Avatar
    I find the previous posts to be somewhat confusing...

You need to plug the speakers into the audio output of the Xbox not the TV (unless the TV does some sort of audio pass through)

United States [US]
    joe
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Wheels View Post
    I find the previous posts to be somewhat confusing...

You need to plug the speakers into the audio output of the Xbox not the TV (unless the TV does some sort of audio pass through)
    agreed, unless there's a pass through, you'll have to plug it into the xbox to get sound while gaming...plugging it into the audio output of either the xbox or tv shouldn't damage the speakers...and you'll be able to see exactly what you have...so you might as well try it...

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    Alright for some reason none of that really clicked in my head. Forget most of what I said in my last post lol I thought you just wanted sound out of the tv in which case most tvs have some sort of audio out (mine only has optical out). If you want it through your xbox you will have to hook it up to the red and which audio jacks. Which if you want to do that you would have to use a mix of converts/adapters for it to work. That is unless you have it running through some sort of reciever. Radioshack should have everything you need.

I wanted to have those RCA input speakers to play through my TV, but I am not sure if the speakers will plug into it. My guess is I will need a amp or something to convert the sound. Ill try directly plugging them in tomorrow, so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!

It turns out that the record player the speakers came with is a receiver, as well as a cassette and 8-Track player hahaha. There are 4 jacks, 2 for the left and right speakers, and two "AUX" jacks. Are these "AUX" jacks for inputting things like TV sounds and other devices? If this is the case what kind of a cable would I have to purchase?

EDIT: Would this cable do the trick?:

The Source By Circuit City : Cables - RCA Audio - GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR ADAPTER
    The Source By Circuit City : Cables - RCA Audio - MONSTER THX AUDIO CABLE - 1M
    Last edited by Koniec; 07-12-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast