Thread: Need some Speaker/TV setup help

west philadelphia born n raised ech0's Avatar

Need some Speaker/TV setup help

Sup all. Well the family finally caved in and got a new 46" hdtv with a 5.1 surround sound dvd player/receiver. Now my question is how to I get the cable tv to use the new speakers. When I use the DVD player, they are used, but normal watching does not use them. I have comcast cable box hooked in through one HDMI port and the dvd/speaker hooked in through another HDMI port. If I used the optical port to connect the tv to the receiver would that then use the speakers for cable tv watching?? How would I go about doing this for all of you that already know.

teh r!g

E6600 w/ Zalman 9700NT @ 3.6 | EVGA 8800 GTX @ 628/1000 | EVGA 680i A1 | 2x1gigs Mushkin XtremePerformance DDR2 800 | 250gig SATAII Barracuda | X-Fi ExtremeGamer Pro Fatal1ty Edition | 750w Toughpower | Aurora 570 Case | 3dMark06 - 13,110
    Design By Humans

United States [US]
    joe
    Link to your receiver?

Generally you'd plug everything (audio and video) into the receiver, then send a single hdmi cable from the receiver to the televsion.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    you have to push the tv audio out through the receiver, via optical should be fine.

usually then there's a setting in the TV menu to switch from the built in 2speaker to audio out.

Way too many possibilities ---need input--

But if you have what I'm guessing you have (suspecting you don't have hdmi audio in or switching)

optical from Cable box to reciever is probably your best bet.

If you watch ota TV you will need a cable from tv to receiver audio in.

//Hmm this is a repackaged version of above so i guess it's:yeahthat:

Are you trying to get audio out of the TV or the cable box?

You should be sending audio out of the cable box to the receiver. Leave the TV out of the equation. Send your optical from the cable box to the receiver, set one of the receiver inputs to digital (and possibly a sub-selection of optical over coax) and you should be good to go.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

west philadelphia born n raised ech0's Avatar
    I got it. Just needed to connect the optical out from the cable box into the receiver.

teh r!g

E6600 w/ Zalman 9700NT @ 3.6 | EVGA 8800 GTX @ 628/1000 | EVGA 680i A1 | 2x1gigs Mushkin XtremePerformance DDR2 800 | 250gig SATAII Barracuda | X-Fi ExtremeGamer Pro Fatal1ty Edition | 750w Toughpower | Aurora 570 Case | 3dMark06 - 13,110
    Design By Humans