Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Google TV, We Hardly Knew You

Goodbye Google TV, We Hardly Knew You

Not at all good news for Google's online television initiative:
    Google TV has a problem. Though Sony and Logitech have boasted it as the perfect combination of internet and television, it seems the television networks aren't exactly thrilled. CBS, ABC, NBC and Hulu all blocked access and now Fox has done the same.

The folks over at GTV Hub have an ever dwindling list of legitimate sites that can still be accessed through Google TV. Now that Fox and SyFy are off the list the options are really getting low.
    Link: Fox Joins the Bandwagon- Blocks Google TV | High-Def Digest

Re: Goodbye Google TV, We Hardly Knew You

wow. looks like its about as useful as HULU on a PS3 right now (which sucks) - that even sucks more... since these had just been coming out!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

what did they expect? that everything on broadcast TV would be index-able just like the internet? they pushed this out too soon just to mess with the Apple TV announcement. what they should have done was gotten some agreements in place, and then launched... regardless of the timeline there, content is king and i would think the networks would have loved to have shoved it in Apple's face that they're cozying up with Google.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

With the majority of people who would use Hulu or other internet services already using it on their existing TVs, and the lack of incentive to buy a box or TV for Google TV, this was doomed from the start, unless they somehow got everyone to sign on. Which as we know, even 80 bucks a month on DirecTV doesn't get you every station all the time, as contracts with networks come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    With the majority of people who would use Hulu or other internet services already using it on their existing TVs, and the lack of incentive to buy a box or TV for Google TV, this was doomed from the start, unless they somehow got everyone to sign on. Which as we know, even 80 bucks a month on DirecTV doesn't get you every station all the time, as contracts with networks come and go.
    i think the kicker is the extra hardware. in fact, that's what has always kept Apple TV, Boxee, ect, all from becoming huge. the perception seems to be that internet TV should be a service, not a piece of hardware. yet the reality is that such is impossible.

But, it could be pulled off using apps installed on platforms like Android and iOS that streamed information across wifi networks and into internet enabled televisions.

yet at the end of the day, without the rights to broadcast what people want to watch, what's the point?

I think that's about it... the hardware... no one wants a new TV just for Google. In the near future, I see a computer hooked to the TV, like the setup I have. Hulu, Netflix, streaming from the network's sites, ...even YouTube... all on the big screen. And the Windows Media Center remote control makes it very user friendly.
    >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

I think you'll see TVs come with a netbook-style embedded computer that hooks to the internet, where you'll have cloud services enabling netflix, hulu, google, apple, or whatever service directly to the TV.

And as always, it's about the content.

Ethernet jack on TV with access to internet. ability built into TV to playback most common audio/video formats will do for me.

Right now I have a Linux small form factor PC hooked up to my 720p HDTV with Boxee software installed on top of Linux.

Hmm never heard of Boxee, I find the remote interesting.

Blog Entries

next door neighbor got one of those Internet TVs... Pandora streaming, hulu, youtube. Pretty interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast