Thread: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

Assault Fiend

HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

Hey guys, so I just received my 32inch LG HDTV. ;D

I hooked it up, the HDMI cables are plugged in, it looks amazing as a monitor! I currently have it dual displaying with my smaller 19 inch monitor.

Question: Is it possible to have audio come out of both the TV and the computer speakers? I figured out how to get the sound to come from one, or the other, but not both.

Thanks!

Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

Occasionally... actually, rarely... I can get my USB headphones and my digital audio out to work at the same time, but Win 7 seems to really only want one or the other. I think the problem is the digital signal on the HDMI line precludes it going anywhere else because of that copy protection scheme.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Occasionally... actually, rarely... I can get my USB headphones and my digital audio out to work at the same time, but Win 7 seems to really only want one or the other. I think the problem is the digital signal on the HDMI line precludes it going anywhere else because of that copy protection scheme.
    Aww, lame sauce.

Thanks for the response

Dig in a little deeper- there might be a work around. In fact, there probably is. If you have analog outs, you could probably split the signal to your speakers and the audio in on the TV. Most TVs can allow video from one source and audio from another.

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Dig in a little deeper- there might be a work around. In fact, there probably is. If you have analog outs, you could probably split the signal to your speakers and the audio in on the TV. Most TVs can allow video from one source and audio from another.
    Good idea! Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier.. there must be a way to split, or something. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

God, this is absolutely awesome! I can't believe I've gone on for 8 years with a 19inch monitor. my god. this is a nice change! Dual displays are amazing too! It's perfect for the digital painter, as I can put a reference on the smaller screen while I'm painting! This is so full of win!

I started with a 32" 720p as a monitor in 2005, and in '08 I snagged a 1080p 42". IMHO, that's about the limit for sitting in front of. Especially with gaming... otherwise, you're head's bobbing all over the place trying to follow the action. Best of both worlds using a TV.

i have it split in two. one for headphones and one for thv.. dont ask me how. it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Good idea! Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier.. there must be a way to split, or something. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

God, this is absolutely awesome! I can't believe I've gone on for 8 years with a 19inch monitor. my god. this is a nice change! Dual displays are amazing too! It's perfect for the digital painter, as I can put a reference on the smaller screen while I'm painting! This is so full of win!

I used to have an amp with multiple inputs and outputs, I assume a home theater receiver would work the same way but be more expensive. My amp worked ok, but you had to manually set what you wanted say input 1 outputting to output 1, output 2 or both..