Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

  1. #1
    Assault Fiend
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The boot room beneath Assault.
    Posts
    291

    HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Hey guys, so I just received my 32inch LG HDTV. ;D

    I hooked it up, the HDMI cables are plugged in, it looks amazing as a monitor! I currently have it dual displaying with my smaller 19 inch monitor.

    Question: Is it possible to have audio come out of both the TV and the computer speakers? I figured out how to get the sound to come from one, or the other, but not both.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    WHERE IS GOD DennyCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    77,070

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Occasionally... actually, rarely... I can get my USB headphones and my digital audio out to work at the same time, but Win 7 seems to really only want one or the other. I think the problem is the digital signal on the HDMI line precludes it going anywhere else because of that copy protection scheme.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

  3. #3
    Assault Fiend
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The boot room beneath Assault.
    Posts
    291

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Occasionally... actually, rarely... I can get my USB headphones and my digital audio out to work at the same time, but Win 7 seems to really only want one or the other. I think the problem is the digital signal on the HDMI line precludes it going anywhere else because of that copy protection scheme.
    Aww, lame sauce.

    Thanks for the response

  4. #4
    WHERE IS GOD DennyCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    77,070

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Dig in a little deeper- there might be a work around. In fact, there probably is. If you have analog outs, you could probably split the signal to your speakers and the audio in on the TV. Most TVs can allow video from one source and audio from another.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

  5. #5
    Assault Fiend
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The boot room beneath Assault.
    Posts
    291

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Dig in a little deeper- there might be a work around. In fact, there probably is. If you have analog outs, you could probably split the signal to your speakers and the audio in on the TV. Most TVs can allow video from one source and audio from another.
    Good idea! Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier.. there must be a way to split, or something. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

    God, this is absolutely awesome! I can't believe I've gone on for 8 years with a 19inch monitor. my god. this is a nice change! Dual displays are amazing too! It's perfect for the digital painter, as I can put a reference on the smaller screen while I'm painting! This is so full of win!

  6. #6
    WHERE IS GOD DennyCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    77,070

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    I started with a 32" 720p as a monitor in 2005, and in '08 I snagged a 1080p 42". IMHO, that's about the limit for sitting in front of. Especially with gaming... otherwise, you're head's bobbing all over the place trying to follow the action. Best of both worlds using a TV.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

  7. #7
    SR-> Henry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    aruba
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    i have it split in two. one for headphones and one for thv.. dont ask me how. it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

  8. #8
    Time 2 Play DigitalDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Land of OZ
    Posts
    6,750

    Re: HDTV as Monitor Questions :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Good idea! Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier.. there must be a way to split, or something. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

    God, this is absolutely awesome! I can't believe I've gone on for 8 years with a 19inch monitor. my god. this is a nice change! Dual displays are amazing too! It's perfect for the digital painter, as I can put a reference on the smaller screen while I'm painting! This is so full of win!

    I used to have an amp with multiple inputs and outputs, I assume a home theater receiver would work the same way but be more expensive. My amp worked ok, but you had to manually set what you wanted say input 1 outputting to output 1, output 2 or both..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Advertise:
Ads@StrafeRight.com

Terms of Service || Privacy & DMCA Policies || About Us
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.
Design by DanFortH