Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HTPC or PS4...

Blog Entries

HTPC or PS4...

I made a deal with my brother a few months ago, long story short he will be footing the bill for a PS4 or an HTPC... My choice.

I'm trying to figure out the best option... Right now I mostly stream Netflix and Amazon Instant Video... When I had my PS3, I used the bluray functionality a fair amount... And I rarely used it for gaming.

I'm having a hard time deciding which direction to go... Any opinions/thoughts?
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Re: HTPC or PS4...

I have the PS3 and PS4, I use the PS3 for basically what you do. Movies via Amazon Prime, Hulu, and playing games occasionally. I'd check on a couple things first.

1.) Check out the games list. If there's not much there you want, PS3 may suit you for a while yet.

2.) The PS4's local streaming capability was limited compared to the PS3 when it launched. There have been talks of adding support, but I don't know that status yet.

3.) What else would you do with the HTPC that you can't do now?

To be honest, I rarely use the PS4. I finished the games that I bought with the system, and haven't turned it on since. I'm an outlier for this case, so your experience will be different. But, if you want to try the PS4, and see if it's what you wanted, I'd have no problem packing it up and shipping it out for you to try.

To answer your question about multimedia support:

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...player-support
    Speedde423 likes this.

They did finally improve the media player on the PS4 to PS3 capabilities about a month back. I think I may have posted somewhere when it happened. If you can do everything you wanted it for elsewhere and have no interest in any of the PS4 games there may be no need other than to have anew toy to mess with.

Are there exclusive games anymore? I like it for the free games every month (Which the new MGS is this month), Uncharted, The Last of Us, and Destiny. I don't play it as much as I used to. I think now, if I buy a brand new game, it's usually on the console. Steam sales have spoiled me, so I don't buy new games for PC very often, because I know they'll go on sale in the near future. Plus, I purchased Sim City day one, and we all know how that went.

-______________________-
    Last edited by akabaloo; 07-17-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Nice - interesting problem for sure. I have a makeshift HTPC and a PS3 and they both do things that the other can't :P the PS3 (and I'm sure the PS4... don't have one yet) makes just watching media really easy to do from stuff like Prime or Netflix - including renting movies and such. But I have a wireless keyboard with a trackpad that works on both the PS3 and my HTPC (though currently connected to the PC) and that makes it pretty easy to use too. I think i'd base it on if you're going to play games on it or not and what works best...
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

PS4 since the games are only going to get even more impressive. But, as I've mentioned, I still keep my PS3 for streaming since they have a great media remote for it, yet not for the PS4. Odd.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

To be clear... I no longer have a PS3, and right now I'm watching prime on Netflix/Prime.

The reason I considered the HTPC because it seems basic.. But either way I would get a keyboard with pointing device.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

ah yeah, that's right... still doesn't have a remote. I'm still incredibly surprised that the PS4 doesn't support the PS3 bluetooth remote... but then again, it seems that the Playstation store on the PS3 stopped fully supporting it too... (the 'enter' button no longer works... have to hit "x" to do stuff now :P)
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

They have that technology to control your device through the HDMI, I think it's called 'Anynet+' or something like that? I can control my PS3 with my IR television remote with it. Not sure if it works for PS4, though.

edit: Just looked it up, that is a Samsung-only tech, but maybe other manufacturers have something like it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast