Thread: Installed Linux on my AW M11X...

Installed Linux on my AW M11X...

So last night I wiped the hard drive on my M11X and installed Ubuntu 10.1. I was hesitant to do this at first but I decided to 'take the plunge' to keep my Linux skills going. I'm actually glad I did- It works great and I got a program that allows me to use the AlienFX Lighting so that I can continue to change the lighting schemes as I see fit. My next hurdles are to get gaming working (I have heard of Steam for Linux) and then Blu-Ray playback, Oh and the switching between graphics cards.

Re: Installed Linux on my AW M11X...

He sweet, I have to wonder why you don't dual boot or go virtual? Im also interested if you can get blu-ray playback working.

I've never used Steam for linux with my Ubuntu box, but I've also never had an issue with WINE. Let me know how it works for you.
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. -
    Jesse Jackson
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    You, sir, are a god damn idiot.
    Love, Denny.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Dog View Post
    He sweet, I have to wonder why you don't dual boot or go virtual? Im also interested if you can get blu-ray playback working.
    Well, I just wanted to see how it would work installing it completely to the hard drive. I've got some info that I will be looking into later on setting up Blu-Ray playback. It seems like it might be possible after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Demoralized View Post
    I've never used Steam for linux with my Ubuntu box, but I've also never had an issue with WINE. Let me know how it works for you.
    I'm going to try the WINE route later, as it seems to be the only way to get steam working. Also, I need to solve the switchable graphics issue. I've heard of a way, but I do believe it's through the BIOS. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've gotten wine up and running on my quad core rig (only has 2gb of ram and a 7300 gt atm) and Counter Strike/Steam run really smoothly. I still prefer windows, but linux is a close second.

Installed Linux on my AW M11X

OK got latest beta running under wine, everything works but the unrar part. 12:30:55 ERROR AutoPARPlugin: Autopar Block Counts Indicate good files but, UnRAR FAILED: No UnRAR: Pasta - The xxxx.part5.rar Now I have unrar installed in Linux and under wine I installed winrar so where is this error coming from? None of the files are unrared.

MMmm pasta, I'm getting hungry..