Thread: Infinity Ward Working On An MMO?

Infinity Ward Working On An MMO?

Not only is there a rumor that Infinity Ward is working on an MMO, there's word that they have sourced the next Call of Duty title out to another Activision owned development studio. Have a look at something about the MMO from Destructiod:

Following on from today's rumor that Infinity Ward is working on a secret project and can't commit to Modern Warfare 3, some more gossip has found its way into our ears that might shed a little more light on the situation. According to our industry sources, Infinity Ward's new game will be an MMO.

We've gotten word that IW is hiring people from Sony Online Entertainment, one of which may be the lead designer of EverQuest II, and that a member of Blizzard employees may also be involved to help Infinity Ward get this new title off the ground. Our Intel seems to indicate that Call of Duty will continue as an annual franchise while IW runs this MMO alongside it.
    Now have a gander at this piece from Shacknews that talks a bit more about the next iteration of Call of Duty:

That leads into the second rumor going around, which sees VG247 stating that Modern Warfare 3 is to be developed by another Activision-owned studio. One source pointed to Prototype developer Radical as handling the unannounced-but-inevitable shooter sequel, while another put it in the hands of Sledgehammer Games--a newly formed studio from Dead Space veterans Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey that is confirmed to be "creating a new game based on one of Activision's existing franchises."

This fits with earlier word from The Los Angeles Times, which claimed that a third developer was joining Infinity Ward and Treyarch on the blockbluster series, as well as reaffirmed that a Call of Duty MMO was under consideration.
    I'm not sure what to think about this whole ordeal. I mean, what's the sense dropping one of the biggest IP's Infinity owns, at it's highest point mind you, to jump into an entirely new genre? One can only assume that IW is just bored with their utter domination of the FPS side of gaming and wants to expand their horizons. That news about them pulling Blizzard and Sony folks in to help them is promising, as is the fact that they have more money than Zeus to dump into development of a new title.

Re: Infinity Ward Working On An MMO?

yes, graig old news, ive know this since mw2 came out since iwnet
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

Blog Entries

IW is going to make a MMO for consoles and port it to the PC since they did that with MW2. At this point I think the CoD series is dead for me since MW2. MW2 was just so terrible for PC users and so off base of their original MW. Everyone here knows what I think of MW2 from the other threads and it's pretty much all negative. So if another developer makes a new CoD or MW and it's not a terrible port of a console game I might budge.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

CoD is certainly dead for me as well if this is true. It makes sense that they ditched dedicated servers in MW2, they're conditioning people for the changeover to MMO.

Germany [DE]
    UI

Funny what happens when you push out something that makes a shit ton of money...everyone looks towards the only thing that can net more money over time: MMOs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by useful_idiot View Post
    Funny what happens when you push out something that makes a shit ton of money...everyone looks towards the only thing that can net more money over time: Vega's Mom.
    wat?

Blog Entries

lol, could net in some big cash with that. It's true though that an MMO will bring in more money if you make people pay-to-play like Blizzard does. I wonder what their gross income is from WoW every month.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...