Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    sorry for double post but this has actually peaked my interest quite a bit, i think i need a break from WoW for awhile, had a few questions for people who actually play. How boring is it to start out? Are the quests easy enough, but not mind-numbingly boring to complete? What is there to do end-game wise? Truthfully i know little to nothing about it and i want to know how it compares to WoW or similar games.
    Starting out isn't terribly boring, but is typical of a starting area (kill x bring y etc.) Questing isn't too tough, but can be challenging sometimes depending on class/level of quest later in the game. There is a quest tracker that can be used, but is not fully easy-mode as it just gives you the general area. As for end game I can't help there as I'm only recently level 40 and the level cap is 65.

Side note:

Anyone that downloads be sure to get the HD texture version.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

I've been playing Turbine's Dungeons and Dragon's Online for about 3 months now, which is also free to play. I've spent about $25 on TP for items and the Monk class. I really enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    How boring is it to start out? Are the quests easy enough, but not mind-numbingly boring to complete? What is there to do end-game wise?
    The very beginning quest and instances are fairly fun. It then slows down a bit with a the usual "kill x number of mobs" or collect "x number of items". The game has an epic questline which is organized into "Volumes" then "Books" and then individual "Chapters" where chapters are pretty much individual quests. These book quests drive the story and will carry you from zone to zone appropriately as you level. After level 20 it picks up again with the first challenging 6 man group dungeon called the Barrow Downs. After level 20 you are also able to begin running Skirmishes as an supplemental way of leveling.

I really enjoy the end-game stuff myself. Just so it's clear, it will be impossible to get to the end game stuff without spending some cash or subscribing. My Kinship (guild) actively Raids. The current end game Raid is called "Barad Guldur" (BG). Essentially it is a tower with three bosses. It starts off when a gauntlet where endless trash mobs will spawn over time as you work your way up the tower to the first boss. It requires both speed and aggro control. I won't spoil the rest of the instance, but the final boss is a Nazgul along with it's Fell Beast. If you don't mind spoilers then you can search Youtube for "BG LT" or similar as there are tons of videos out there of the instance and boss fights. My kin's leader also has a few older videos on his Youtube Page. Most of the instances also include a "Hard Mode" where you are required to do certain things usually on the boss that make the fight harder but give better loot.

Below is a full listing of instances available. You might note that some have a different minimum and maximum level. These are the new scalable instances that can be played and scaled to at any level at the min, max, or between. The original game capped at level 50 so there are quite a few end game instances in that range. The next expansion bumped cap up to lvl 60. The latest expansion which took place in December 2009 increased the cap to 65.

Can you play a good portion of the game online alone? Or do you need to be in groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Can you play a good portion of the game online alone? Or do you need to be in groups?
    You can easily solo all the way up to level 65 and I have actually done so myself. Originally the game required grouping to complete many of the "Book" quests and continue forward. This lead to a lot of people skipping book quests. For the entire Volume 1 quest line, they have implemented a system called "Inspired Greatness" where you can choose to play solo on the instances that were previously group quests. Doing so applies a buffs to your character that allows them to take on mobs that normally require a group.

Groups are a lot of fun if you have the time and the game does have built in VOIP even though most poeple use Vent for Raids and such.

Some good information for firsttimers HERE. Someone has made a nice CHART of the content and how it applies to Free players and the content packages that they will have to unlock.
    Last edited by BetterOffDead; 08-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar

I dig LOTR a lot, so I would love to give this a shot. Just wish I wasn't heading back to school in a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post
    After level 20 you are also able to begin running Skirmishes as an supplemental way of leveling.
    I'm loving the skirmish modes, great way to get some good gear without spending silver.

My Guardian is level 40 now and I've done most of my questing solo, but fellowships are definitely fun. I need to find a new kinship that actually quests together. I accepted the first invite I received on re-subbing. Big mistake. They're never on, and when they are, they're not very helpful sadly. If you want to join an in-game guild be sure to research them first.
    Last edited by OD-BLOODED-1; 08-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

Quote Originally Posted by OD-BLOODED-1 View Post
    If you want to join an in-game guild be sure to research research them first.
    Yes it's definitely a very good idea to find and join a kinship. There are a large variety of kins in each server that include Hardcore Raiding, Casual Raid, Casual, Roleplaying, and PvP. It's important to find a good kin that fits your style. I'm in a more Casual Raid kinship right now. We raid several times a week, but we don't feel like we have to conquer the latest raid within the first weeks of a new update nor do we use the DKP system.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post
    we don't feel like we have to conquer the latest raid within the first weeks of a new update nor do we use the DKP system.
    I'm in an elite pve guild in Age of Conan that has many server and world firsts (United by Legend), and those guys make me sick sometimes with their attitudes. All they care about it being the best and that is one reason I just unsubbed (plus 2+ years is enough). Sounds like you're in a fun guild that knows what gaming is about. I'm going to do some research tonight and see what I can scratch up on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by OD-BLOODED-1 View Post
    I'm going to do some research tonight and see what I can scratch up on my server.
    What server are you on BTW?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast