Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post
    I'm in a more Casual Raid kinship right now. We raid several times a week, but we don't feel like we have to conquer the latest raid within the first weeks of a new update nor do we use the DKP system.
    ^^ this, i'm in a "raiding" guild now in wow, and they run 2 main groups for ICC, im newer to the guild so i get put in group 2, which is basically just a run for all the officers Alt characters so it never does that well. On top of that they are super impatient about everything because all their mains have done it already that week. Basically im sick of being benched in place of officers who aren't as good as me, i spend most of my time on waiting around to see if im needed as an alternate. Only reason i have stayed this long is because all the other guilds of this level are exactly the same.

and this isn't even considered a hardcore guild in wow. they are only i think 9/12 on hard modes.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffDead View Post
    What server are you on BTW?
    Silverlode.

@Dwall. I know how you feel man. In AoC T3 raids are insanely hard, and I am not in full T2 armor so I get left out (Guardian). Problem is nobody is running T1 or T2 in our guild anymore so it's either pug, which can take many hours and risk wiping continuously, or find a new guild to start over with. I just figured enough is enough. The game got enough of my cash and the community in AoC is lacking imo. It's all carebear this and fail-toon that, or QQ moar crap on their forums lol. Gets old quick. LOTRO is refreshing.
    Last edited by OD-BLOODED-1; 08-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

if its like you guys say, with mature and skilled players that just want to play and not troll chat channels to grow their e-peen up then it already sounds miles better than wow. I hate pugging with a passion, and thats mostly what i do now. You just never know what your getting into. a group could look super solid and then not even get past 2 bosses, and then boom, your toon is saved on some shitty run for a whole week.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

I have never tried this but now that it is free. I am bored with shaiya, another free mmo.

I love LOTR but still have refused to play anything that is subscription based.

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OD-BLOODED-1 View Post
    Silverlode.
    Hmm...I don't know anyone from that server and I'm not familar with the Kinships there. I would definitely check out the Kinship section in the forums and look for active and recruiting kinships. Most of them list their personal websites there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    if its like you guys say, with mature and skilled players that just want to play and not troll chat channels to grow their e-peen up then it already sounds miles better than wow.
    I won't go as far to say that that doesn't exist on Lotro, but it is far more rare. The forums are worse than in-game, but that seems to just be the nature of all forums. The PvP forum sections tend to get a little troll and epeen infested, but thats mostly typical of hard core PvPers. If you ask for help or ask questions you will always get a straight answer without tons of snarky comments. Overall it's definitely the best game forum I've seen.

In-game everyone uses the various channels correctly and GMs patrol for violators. There are four available user created channel slots. Almost every server has a "glff" (global looking for fellowship) channel. The game has a "lff" channel, but is regional only and the game developers avoided global official channels to avoid spam. Players created their own glff channel which most of the population joins for the purpose of finding groups, but it often ends up full of various converstations, trolling, and epeening. It's pretty easy to avoid by either not joining the channel or what I do is place the channel on a seperate chat tab and hide it if things get too over the top since most of the time it is very handly to use for finding pugs. GM's typically don't police the user created channels and cannot enforce it's purpose, but they will step if innopropriate conversations or language comes up.
    Last edited by BetterOffDead; 08-19-2010 at 07:15 PM.

which class is easiest to get into and to survive with? im assuming some kind of tanking/dps class?

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    which class is easiest to get into and to survive with? im assuming some kind of tanking/dps class?
    For the most part, survival with any class is fairly easy with as long as you don't take on mobs or quests that are much higher level. I've played all the classes at lower levels up to 20 and have a 65 Champion, 65 Captain, 65 Minstrel, 40 Guardian and 40 Lore-master. When you pick your class type it gives a "skill level" for each, but I disagree with their labels. Here is how I would rank them easiest to most difficult overall in my opinion.

Hunter (Ranged DPS) - Probably the easiest class in early levels. They can often drop mobs with ease and take little damage. Also the most popular class so it can sometimes be difficult to get into end game groups. Easy class to play while grouped as well.

Guardian (Heavy Tank) - Tons of avoidance and made for survival. Very easy to do beginner content although they lack dps and fights take longer.

Champion (Melee AoE DPS / Off Tank) - The game labels this as a beginner class, but they are a riskier class where it's "kill the mob before it kills you". Once you fully learn their skills they are easy to play. They are more challenging at later levels, but can kill multiple mobs very quickly.

Minstrel (Main Healer) - Very easy class to solo with as they can do a lot of damage when using DPS skills. However in groups and end game they are relied on heavily for healing so they require great skill to keep the group alive.

Captain (Buffs / Off Healer) - Captain is more difficult because they cannot do much dps solo. Where the captain shines is in groups. They can apply major buffs to the group and can be traited to either be an off healer or dps. They can do light heals to the group while by attacking mobs. They use pets (heralds) while solo so it requires a little more micromangement.

Rune-Keeper (Healer / DPS) - Rune keepers can fight in a way that attunes them to either dps or healing depending on the skills you use. For solo they are fairly easy and can do an insane amount of dps, but can be somewhat difficult when healing groups as they rely mostly on Heal over Time skills.

Burglar (Debuff / DPS) - Burglar is a debuff class that is great for groups. They do positional damage so they can put out some great dps in groups. In solo cannot do quite as much damage, but can use stealth and some other handy skills. They also have Crowd Control abilities.

Lore-Master (Crowd Control / Debuff) - LM's are slightly difficult to solo, but have great crowd control and can take on many mobs at once with ease. In groups however they are very busy removing debuffs from the group, CC, applying debuffs, and restoring power. Also use pets (nature).

Warden (Tank / DPS) - I think wardens are the hardest class to use. They require the player to memorize sequences of skills to perform in certain order to perform major skills. A good warden is very good to have in groups, but requires lots of skill. They have great survivability and are easy to solo, but can be overly difficult for a first time player.

Just a side note, but some classes are restricted by race. The Warden and Rune Keeper classes have to be unlocked using TP or a subscription.

Check out the Game Manual or Starter Guide for detailed info.

Gonna have to check this out ;-)

are you? are you really?

Upgraded to Moria and Mirkwood and am trying out an Elf/Hunter, Sadly the Guardian has been sitting at 44 for several days now due to this lol.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast