Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

Lord of the Rings Online is launching as Free To Play on September 10, 2010.

See Press Release

Starting September 10th, anyone can install the LOTRO client and create a Free to Play account without any type of subscription. Unlike other Free to Play MMO's, LOTRO is a full retail game that has been subscription based since April 2007 and has branched off into a free to play model.

About LOTRO

LOTRO has been a quietly successful MMO that was released back in April 2007 and is roughly based on the time, locations, and events from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. The game has went through two major expansions as well as regular free content updates. The game offers 9 different classes and a level cap of 65. The game is friendly to both casual and hardcore raider player types with numerous end game raids and PvP as well as seasonal festivals, strong attention to Tolkien lore, and other casual features. The epic quest line takes the player alongside the path of the ring as it travels toward Mordor. There are 11 active servers and they will be adding two or three additional server when Free To Play launches. Lots of additional information is available on the LOTRO site and Forums.

Account Types

LOTRO will now offer three account levels (Free, Premium, VIP). VIP users are the typical monthly subscribers that pay approximately $9.99/mo or those who purchased lifetime accounts. Premium accounts are either VIP accounts that no longer subscribe or Free accounts that have elected to pay real money to purchase expansions and new items through the in-game store. Premium accounts are also well suited for those that absolutely refuse to pay a monthly subscription, but don't mind paying for items on occasion. Free accounts are accounts that haven't payed a penny to play.

The Free to Play System

Players can experience a large portion of the game without spending any money (theoretically players can level from 1-50 with a free account). Free players receive a limited amount of zones and have limited account privileges among other restrictions. Removing restrictions and buying zone expansions can be purchased through the in-game store using "Turbine Points". Turbine points (TP) can be purchased with real money or earned by completing accomplishments in-game. VIP accounts will earn 500TP/month and will have no restrictions. See this account chart or read the FAQ for more information.

Game Features

LOTRO is a very polished game and has very impressive look and feel with support for DX11 graphics. They have done created some innovative game mechanics such as the "Skirmish" system. Skirmishes are dynamic scalable instances that you can create and play at any time and place in the game world. This means that you can set the level of the instance as well as the difficulty with rewards that scale appropriately. In addition you get to create and customize a solider that you bring along side with you to help complement your character in the instance. The soldiers mimic most of the common playable classes in the game. Another nice feature is scalable instances. They have returned to many older end game Raids and instances and have redesigned them to scale with level and allow anyone to join the instances from anywhere in the game world. For the FTP launch they have also reworked the starter areas to be much more player friendly and enjoyable.

How to Get Started

After September 10, 2010 you will be able to visit the LOTRO.COM website and create a new account. The game client can be downloaded Here. To get a jump start, you can download the current game client (which is around 10GB) now and apply all of the updates before the Free To Play launch date. This will allow you to only need to update the latest updates after launch rather than having to download everything after the 10th.

Other Information

I have been playing LOTRO since it was originally in Beta. I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a good solid MMO. I encourage everyone to definitely give it a try since it's free. If you don't like it, no harm done and if you do enjoy the game you have the option to continue playing for free, subscribe, or purchase things as needed. The players in-game and on the forums is very mature and helpful. If anyone is interested in playing, you can create a character on the "Arkenstone" server which is where all of my Characters are located. You can PM me or post here and I'll be glad to add you to my friends list and help you out or answer any questions. There are also various other servers, some of which have unofficial roles as PvP, Oceanic, Role Playing, etc. servers although all servers seem to have a wide variety of players.

Last edited by BetterOffDead; 08-19-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play

Did you say... FREE?

Sign me up!

My nation pwns yours mwahahaha Sergeant_assist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've grown bored of MMORPG but ill give this one a try.
    What is wrong is always better than what is right, for its the wrong that forces change.

damn, free?! i'm definitely checking this out now. anyone know the minimum specs to run it? thinking it might be a good on-the-road game.

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    damn, free?! i'm definitely checking this out now. anyone know the minimum specs to run it? thinking it might be a good on-the-road game.
    I believe these are still accurate hardware requirements:

Minimum System Requirements

O.S.: Windows® XP
    Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 1.8 GHz or equivalent
    RAM: 512MB
    Video: 64MB NVIDIA GeForce® 3 or ATI® Radeon® 8500
    Disk Space: 7GB available
    DirectX: DirectX® 9.0c
    Optical Drive: 2X DVD ROM
    Connection: 56kbps Modem

Recommended System Requirements

O.S.: Windows® XP/Vista
    Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 2.8 GHz or equivalent
    RAM: 1GB
    Video: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce® 6800 or ATI® Radeon® X850
    Disk Space: 10GB available
    DirectX: DirectX® 9.0c
    Optical Drive: 2X DVD ROM
    Connection: Broadband DSL/Cable
    If you are lazy you can select "The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria" from Can You Run It.
    Last edited by BetterOffDead; 08-19-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Free To Play Starting On September 10th

im lazy, i can run it tho apparently, this is probably bad... another MMO that i start playing for free and then subscribe within a month. Will be checking it out for sure, and you will have MY axe.

also i fucking HATE when websites list titles that start with "THE" that don't really have anything to do with the game, yet they alphabetize them at T, come on people the THE is implied you alphabetize from the 2nd word.

/end ocd rant.

edit* i just noticed the "slow" computer in the animation has cobwebs all over it, looks like the inside of braks tower, hehehe.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

sorry for double post but this has actually peaked my interest quite a bit, i think i need a break from WoW for awhile, had a few questions for people who actually play. How boring is it to start out? Are the quests easy enough, but not mind-numbingly boring to complete? What is there to do end-game wise? Truthfully i know little to nothing about it and i want to know how it compares to WoW or similar games.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

I'm pretty sure Rage is into this. hopefully he can shed some light.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

smart. in-game stores in free games will do well. great way to lengthen the life of a mamoooooorpig

Really liked the beta and how it felt - actually, i liked it more than WoW - but i don't have time to play MMORPG's really anymore so... stopped playing it after the beta. this is pretty cool though!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast