Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Rift -- A must have new MMO!! :D

Re: Rift -- A must have new MMO!! :D

why did i know you couldnt just take my opinion for what it is, without having me explain it line by line?

you say the graphics are "better" because they are more cpu intensive, is that the only thing that defines graphical superiority? you cite that wow is smarter, and has a brighter color palate, to me, that is better than something that is dull and flat textured regardless of how hard my cpu is cranking.

as for my "polish" remark, as i said, i'm quoting what nearly every single fanboy is saying in game. did i expect it to be more polished than wow? NO, fuck no, never. but i did get sick of seeing people gushing that it WAS better the whole time i was playing.

as far as the gameplay remark, i really don't see how you can't understand this. every class and every race in rift plays the same about 10-15 starting quests, they are exactly the same, every time, no matter what you play. This is the complete polar opposite of how wow starts you out. Like i said, i only played to level 6 and i know that is pretty limited, hence the question of "does it get better?" all i did was run in a straight line, kill x of y mob, and collect z of the shit they drop, about 6 times, and i was at level 6, woohoo...??

your style of play may be the reason that we disagree so much, i play for replay value, i dont have 1 wow character i have 9, i like to see as much of the game as i can, which includes at least trying every class, seeing the differences, and deciding what i like to play the most. you say you don't want to invest the time to have more than 1 character in a game, and thats fine, but you're also missing out on ALOT of content.

I obviously have alot more time invested in wow than you so it's going to be harder for me to just flip to something new and not play my characters on wow, i already have 4 characters at level 83 or higher, and the others aren't far behind. I like levelling the new ones cuz its never really the same, there's infinite quest paths to follow through the game or you can dungeon and pvp battleground your way up, from even very low levels.

so i guess my point is, this game is really cool, its just not as cool as wow to me, sorry.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

I have played Rift extensively. This is Beta7 and the game is being released in March.

The graphics engine in Rift affords better graphics with less lag. That said, it also has limitations on it that the WoW engine does not. None of that really matters as the computers of today seem to play both with minimal issue.

Rift character creation is far and away more specialized than WoW. I applaud them for affording players the ability to be "different" than anyone else. In WoW, the top PvE and PvP specs are set with little to no deviation. Rift allows players to customize their play styles along with the character. This however, is where the praise ends.

Rift, like the many more forgotten MMOs before it, are just a carbon copy of EverQuest. World of Warcraft is a copy of Everquest. All the buttons, macros and aspects of the UI are the exact same as WoW so it is pretty obvious who Trion is targeting. The characters have no animations to them like a WoW does. The environment is not as immersive. Yes, Rift does excel at making people work together in the form of the 'rift" mechanic mini raids but that is just a raid like any other MMO. One that you cannot control when it happens.

PvP is a lot better in Rift that WoW. Being a Beta however, it is difficult to test out as some classes literally rape all others. If you are not of of them, you will find yourself dead a lot.

All of that can be swept aside and the game would be good if not great if....it wasn't for healing.

In a rift you must do the most dmg to things and participate the most to increase your reward over people. Great if you are a ranged DPS, good if you are a melee, absolute shit if you are a healer. Same for trying to quest as a healing class although Rift does allow for duel specs.

Another thing that bothers me is the genre. WoW is fantasy wizard shit. SWG, EVE is all space. WTF is Rift? It seems like if the Borg invaded mid-evil times. They need to pick one and roll with it.

All in all the game is good. When it releases it will be better. However, it will die a slow death like all WoW clones before it because it is just not different enough. There are literally 30 or 40 MMOs being released this year. FFXIV, Pandora, BSG Online, Planetside 2, Age of Empires, SWOR: Online, Marvel Universe Online, Transformers MMO ....and the list goes on and on.

I want, nothing more, than an MMO to come out that shits on WoW. I want to play that. Rift..is not it. A good game, but just more of the same.

-R

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    why did i know you couldnt just take my opinion for what it is, without having me explain it line by line?
    I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said. Looking back at what I said, I can see how it may have come across that I was angry, or that I don't think you should be allowed to have your own opinion, especially when I said something like "did you honestly expect Rift blah blah blah."

you say the graphics are "better" because they are more cpu intensive, is that the only thing that defines graphical superiority? you cite that wow is smarter, and has a brighter color palate, to me, that is better than something that is dull and flat textured regardless of how hard my cpu is cranking.
    The problem with attempting to bring the game to a more realistic point is that you suffer from a "dull" palette, as far as textures, the textures would definitely be better in a game like Rift, as that's what they're focusing on to make their world look good. The graphics are better, yes. However, "better" with regards to graphics, generally refers to an advancement it technology. For example, wouldn't most people agree that Bad Company 2 has better graphics than Team Fortress 2? Why because Bad Company looks more realistic? People often associate "better" with "more real." Because that's the way that graphics are understood, by and large, that's how I refer to them. That's not to say that I don't realize that games that have "stylized" graphics aren't just as good if not better than a gritty game.

For example, I said WoW is smart, as your quoted, for a few reasons. Firstly, simpler graphics, means less strain on the computer, which means more people can play, and that the game will run smoother when there's a ton on screen (which there usually are for MMOs). Secondly, going with a "stylized" in this case, somewhat cartoony makes them impervious to age. Something that's real (Bad Company 2), can age, and wither, where as something that's stylized knows no age, and is in it's own transcended place. My point is, All we need to see how bad Bad Company 2 to actually looks is Bad Company 6. By that time, looking back at Bad Company 2 would be horrid, because it tried to look real, and is so dated. Conversely, a game like TF2 will stand the test of time, because it's approach is a stylistic one that was never meant to look real, it will always look good.

For the record, I like WoW graphics MORE than Rifts, yes, more. Because I'm an artsy bitch, and like stylization far more than gritty realism. However, I'd still say that Rift's graphics are better from a progression standpoint.

as for my "polish" remark, as i said, i'm quoting what nearly every single fanboy is saying in game. did i expect it to be more polished than wow? NO, fuck no, never. but i did get sick of seeing people gushing that it WAS better the whole time i was playing.
    Meh, people always jump their guns when they have hopes for something. In this case, some people want this to replace WoW for them, and already jumping the game saying it's better in every way possible, and it's not even out yet. It's just over exaggeration at its finest. We're all guilty of it from time to time. Like I said, I think what most people are excited about, with regards to polish, is that it's more polished than most MMO betas they've played. We'll just have to see how it goes down the line, when the game comes out.

as far as the gameplay remark, i really don't see how you can't understand this. every class and every race in rift plays the same about 10-15 starting quests, they are exactly the same, every time, no matter what you play. This is the complete polar opposite of how wow starts you out. Like i said, i only played to level 6 and i know that is pretty limited, hence the question of "does it get better?"
    That's not really a gameplay nitpick, but a spice of life, variety one. Don't get me wrong, I understand full well what you mean. Variety is definitely good, and it'd definitely make things more interesting in rift. However, it doesn't actually effect gameplay after the first couple of levels anyway. When I refer to gameplay, I'm talking straight up core gameplay mechanics (how the game plays). Thus far I'm impressed by the gameplay mechanics.

all i did was run in a straight line, kill x of y mob, and collect z of the shit they drop, about 6 times, and i was at level 6, woohoo...??
    Honestly though, what do you expect? There are a billion quests of that same nature in WoW. I wasn't bored with the quests, they were easy, no complaints.

your style of play may be the reason that we disagree so much, i play for replay value, i dont have 1 wow character i have 9, i like to see as much of the game as i can, which includes at least trying every class, seeing the differences, and deciding what i like to play the most. you say you don't want to invest the time to have more than 1 character in a game, and thats fine, but you're also missing out on ALOT of content.
    I agree with you 100%. Why should I care if the starting player is the same for everyone? I'll only ever have one character. I do advocate for things that will improve the game for others, even if I don't care myself. So I would LOVE for them to add more starting zones for people who day sport multiple characters. Our play styles are definitely a major basis for our differences, and that's absolutely fine. I'm definitely a minimalist in MMOs, and an asshole at that. No, seriously. I used Darkened Worg Steak (a food that provides a buff that allows me to track human enemy players on my minimap), and ganked an 85 Warrior for a few hours. I went so far as to follow a flight path from Darkshire (epic flying is faster than flight paths) all the way to the northern portion of the continent. I proceeded to gank him repeatedly, so badly so that he was forced to stop playing, get on an alt, and tell me that he gives up and is logging. lol. Douche-baggery aside, you're right, I'm missing out on a TON of content.

I obviously have alot more time invested in wow than you so it's going to be harder for me to just flip to something new and not play my characters on wow, i already have 4 characters at level 83 or higher, and the others aren't far behind. I like levelling the new ones cuz its never really the same, there's infinite quest paths to follow through the game or you can dungeon and pvp battleground your way up, from even very low levels.
    There's no denying that you have more time invested, and I understand entirely with everything else you said here. I do like how there's a ton of leveling options in WoW, I'm not sure what that will be like in Rift.

so i guess my point is, this game is really cool, its just not as cool as wow to me, sorry.
    That's absolutely fine, and I respect that. I'm not sure why it is that you thought I didn't respect your opinion. I was just confused. Can you blame me though, I responded to what, a 2-sentence remark. I didn't understand what you meant by stepping up the gameplay. In the end, I like both, and I hope Rift doesn't flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruxor View Post
    I have played Rift extensively. This is Beta7 and the game is being released in March.

The graphics engine in Rift affords better graphics with less lag. That said, it also has limitations on it that the WoW engine does not. None of that really matters as the computers of today seem to play both with minimal issue.
    I agree.

Rift character creation is far and away more specialized than WoW. I applaud them for affording players the ability to be "different" than anyone else. In WoW, the top PvE and PvP specs are set with little to no deviation. Rift allows players to customize their play styles along with the character. This however, is where the praise ends.
    This for me is the major selling point to Rift. It's so cool to be able to specialize in so unique a fashion. Not to mention character creation is MUCH better.

Rift, like the many more forgotten MMOs before it, are just a carbon copy of EverQuest. World of Warcraft is a copy of Everquest. All the buttons, macros and aspects of the UI are the exact same as WoW so it is pretty obvious who Trion is targeting. The characters have no animations to them like a WoW does. The environment is not as immersive. Yes, Rift does excel at making people work together in the form of the 'rift" mechanic mini raids but that is just a raid like any other MMO. One that you cannot control when it happens.
    I see what you're saying, but I think one of the neat aspects of the Rifts is that they just occur. In a game like WoW you'd have to intend on raiding. The fact that it happens in the open world is what makes all the difference to me.

PvP is a lot better in Rift that WoW. Being a Beta however, it is difficult to test out as some classes literally rape all others. If you are not of of them, you will find yourself dead a lot.
    Really!? I only have a level 12 character, and haven't PVPed much, if at all yet (though that is my only focus). I really hope the PVP is amazing. I'm looking forward to really unique builds in PVP.

All of that can be swept aside and the game would be good if not great if....it wasn't for healing.

In a rift you must do the most dmg to things and participate the most to increase your reward over people. Great if you are a ranged DPS, good if you are a melee, absolute shit if you are a healer. Same for trying to quest as a healing class although Rift does allow for duel specs.
    That's stupid. I hope they fix that.

Another thing that bothers me is the genre. WoW is fantasy wizard shit. SWG, EVE is all space. WTF is Rift? It seems like if the Borg invaded mid-evil times. They need to pick one and roll with it.
    Yeah, I was talking with my friend about this a few days ago, I definitely think other games have a stronger genre, this one is questionable. I guess we'll have to see where they go with it.

All in all the game is good. When it releases it will be better. However, it will die a slow death like all WoW clones before it because it is just not different enough. There are literally 30 or 40 MMOs being released this year. FFXIV, Pandora, BSG Online, Planetside 2, Age of Empires, SWOR: Online, Marvel Universe Online, Transformers MMO ....and the list goes on and on.

I want, nothing more, than an MMO to come out that shits on WoW. I want to play that. Rift..is not it. A good game, but just more of the same.

-R
    I'm really looking forward to SWOR!

I haven't read up on that game too much, I'm going to do that right now. I heard you get ships!!! I wonder what that's like. I'd want to be the "asshole stealthy class" which one might that be?

Last edited by Orca; 02-17-2011 at 03:26 AM.

Anyone still playing? I was in the closed beta a long while back and finally decided to jump in 2 weeks ago. having a good time with it thus far.

Free to play has launched, seems to have few limitations.

RIFT® Community - en – Welcome to RIFT 2.3: Empyreal Assault & Free-to-Play!
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

why is it that every time a game goes F2P i want to say "i told you it sucked"

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23