Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift -- A must have new MMO!! :D

Assault Fiend

Rift -- A must have new MMO!! :D Thumbs up

Though Rift isn't out until March 1st, I urge people to try out the next beta, which starts "Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT) through 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011."

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale, Sr. Community Manager at Trion
    We Don't Need No Stinking Codes!!
    It's been a while since these forums were full of people asking for beta codes. As we move into open beta next week, I just wanted to make sure you all remember that codes are no longer necessary. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us in Telara!

Bring your guildmates, friends, enemies... everyone you can think of! We want to fill the world with as many people as we can and test everything there is left to test before we open the doors for Headstart!

We're looking forward to a great event and as always we are anxious to hear your feedback!
    In addition, pre-ordering this bad boy provides a ton of awesome stuff! Pre-ordering will also allow players to partake in "head start," access to the full game a WEEK before the general public!!

What Makes Rift so unique is its incredibly rich and diverse class system! Each of the 4 callings (classes) have 9 different sub trees (specializations, or specs for short). In addition, you can spec into any 3 of those trees all at once! This makes for some very unique customization! In addition, you can have up to 4 specs at any time, with only one being active at a time. For example, WoW offers something called "dual spec." This allows a class to switch from one spec, to a totally different one. Rift takes this to the next step (and they kind of have to given all of the awesome combinations) and let you have 4 at a given time. This is amazing in that it lets you have a specialized build for each role, or scenario. For example, my class is going to be a Rogue, for sure, and I will likely focus on Assassination, Bladedancer, and god knows what else. This will primarily be a heavy damage dealing, stealth executioner build, which focuses on critical strikes and poisons to down a foe. Conversely, I could have a separate spec that sports Riftstalker, and whatever, which would effectively turn me into a tank (riftstalkers have a ton of damage mitigating abilities). I could also have another spec for long range combat, that makes use of pets. This build would probably sport a Marksmen spec, along with a Saboteur spec (saboteurs are all about intelligently setting up bombs, and traps for your enemy(s) that take them down VERY quickly assuming everything is prepared).

Check out THIS class calculator, to check out abilities and different combinations.

For those of you interested in PVP, this game looks to be VERY promising! Check out their recent tid-bit on world PVP:

Quote Originally Posted by Hartsman (Rift Dev)
    Letís start with PvP in the shared world.

Just before Beta 6, we made an anti griefing change that prevented enemy wardstones at hubs and towns from being destroyed by the opposing faction, and significantly boosted guard strength around PvE hubs. Weíre pretty happy with how that worked out on the PvE servers.

In time for Open Beta, weíve developed the ability to repeal those changes on the PvP servers only, to see if they can remain playable without it. Ideally, itís our hope that thereís gameplay value in having people being able to band together to attack and defend those areas on PvP servers.

If you choose to play on a PvP server, itís our assumption that you not only donít mind that level of interruption from that PvP attack-and-defense style of gameplay, but are actively excited about taking part in it. If you want uninterrupted PvE questing, choosing a PvE server is definitely recommended.
    This to me is very exciting because they're backing full world PVP, with few, if any guards. This means that it's up to the players to police. It gives it more of a real world war sense, and I couldn't be happier. I hate how some of the guards in WoW are so strong. Even on PVP servers they are buffed to stupidly high degrees, even ignoring certain class abilities such as the Rogue's vanish (which is supposed to let the Rogue escape combat, and retreat). Against human players, and typical NPCs, vanishing works just fine (most of the time) however, city guards see through vanish, and ream you. It's changes like this that ruin PVP. It seems as though Trion knows what they're doing, in this regard.

Here's the link to the rest of his post, which address changes post Beta 6 (which I did play in, btw).

In conclusion, this game is stunning, and it's not even out yet! The graphics, art style, animations, everything is great! Obviously certain things can be improved upon, but the game feels VERY polished as is, and can only get better.

Here's the official website

So which of you guys are going to give this a try, or already have?
    Last edited by Orca; 02-12-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Assault Fiend

Re: Rift -- A must have new MMO!! :D

Hmm, tough crowd, tough crowd.

i signed up for the beta, but alot of the more active users here are extremely anti-MMO anything so yeah it will be a tough crowd. lot's of people on wow are talking about quitting to play this, but alot of those people said the same thing about AION and were back 2 months later. we'll see how cool it is, i like the sounds of the class system.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    i signed up for the beta, but alot of the more active users here are extremely anti-MMO anything so yeah it will be a tough crowd. lot's of people on wow are talking about quitting to play this, but alot of those people said the same thing about AION and were back 2 months later. we'll see how cool it is, i like the sounds of the class system.
    Yeah, that's true, the guys here are more FPS orientated.

I quit WoW for this, granted I still like WoW. However, this looks very promising. I feel like Rift has taken just enough of the right "stuff" from various successful MMOs to do the job right. For instance, it takes many of the better qualities from WoW, which many people will feel at home with, and marries them to new concepts, and various mechanics from other MMOs. One of Aion's problems was it turned into a major grind, whereas this doesn't seem to be like that.

I was once hugely against MMOs myself, it wasn't until fairly recently that I was lured in by my friends. My friends have ALWAYS played MMOs, and I've ALWAYS made fun of them. With the launch of Cataclysm, they somehow convinced me to try it out. Sure enough, I realized my previous anti-MMO stance was absolutely unfounded and ridiculous.

MMOs are excessively fun when you're playing with some friends!

Most OD's tend to play a mix of both shooters and MMO's. I recently quit Age of Conan (played since launch with a couple breaks) in favor of Rift. Most of my Clan mates show little interest in the game and are awaiting The Old Republic, so maybe I'll roll on a server with some sR's when the time comes next month. I have been in Beta 4 and 5 and enjoyed it a lot. Guardians FTW lol.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

Subscription based MMOs are on the way out and I wouldn't get too invested in this one. They tend not to survive very long these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    go back to eating your jesus eggs.

There seems to be a move towards micro transactions in MMO's, but I doubt the genre itself will be overly hurt by such a transition. There are many older games still playable (Like Galaxies, Everquest and Dungeons and Dragons online) so it is not as if the more successful ones just cease to be. LOTRO is second only to WoW in playerbase and they seem to be making plenty of money with the new store from what I have read. Age of Conan is rumored to be heading down the micro transaction path as well. There are a few big titles on the Horizon, Bioware's The Old Republic, and EverQuest "Next" among the most notable. While I do look forward to titles like Guild Wars 2, if a game is entertaining enough, I don't mind the fees as there is always a cancel subscription button should boredom set in. MMO's can be quite lucrative for a company if done well, and the ones that fail usually are poorly designed and undeserving of a long lifespan anyway.
    Last edited by OD-BLOODED-1; 02-13-2011 at 01:13 AM.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

Pre-ordered my copy yesterday, can't wait! LOVE the class system they have going, gonna be interesting.

If I build a new pc I'll be playing with fools like orca. Class system is the only draw for me.

As to subscribtion and "free 2 play"/ micro transactions- subscriptions I don't think are a turn off when you realize how much you actually will spend on microtransactions. A full year of a game like wow or rift is around 120$, which is like 2 ps3 or xbox360 games. Not bad at all if you take into account the actual hours you will put into an mmo compared with a console game ( uncharted 1 and 2, although great games, cost me 60 each and I beat each in under 10 hours and never touched them again.). Microtransactions I GUARANTEE (with experience trust me) will cost you far more than either. To get all the best and coolest mounts/ enchants/items ( and you will want them if you actually play the game) over a full year expect to pay at least double for a BMW like that.

steam-mattik13
    matt@straferight.com

Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Halfway through, the loss of Assault, Frank, ASG clan, etc hit him and he wept in his maple syrup puddle.

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_x View Post
    If I build a new pc I'll be playing with fools like orca. Class system is the only draw for me.

As to subscribtion and "free 2 play"/ micro transactions- subscriptions I don't think are a turn off when you realize how much you actually will spend on microtransactions. A full year of a game like wow or rift is around 120$, which is like 2 ps3 or xbox360 games. Not bad at all if you take into account the actual hours you will put into an mmo compared with a console game ( uncharted 1 and 2, although great games, cost me 60 each and I beat each in under 10 hours and never touched them again.). Microtransactions I GUARANTEE (with experience trust me) will cost you far more than either. To get all the best and coolest mounts/ enchants/items ( and you will want them if you actually play the game) over a full year expect to pay at least double for a BMW like that.

Tis true, if you have the option of paying for things via micro transactions it's often too tempting to ignore. Heck, even in games where microtranscations isn't a prime focus (TF2), I've spent about $60 or random stuff--- 10$ was spent on a hat for my Spy. Yes... ridiculous, but it's easy to justify things, if and when you want something.

To those of you who are going to play Rift, we should all roll on the same PVP server.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast