Thread: Need Xbox 360 DVD Rom

Need Xbox 360 DVD Rom

Need an XBOX 360 dvd rom. Guess it's going bad. The unit has been opened so warranty fix aint gonna happen.

Anyone familiar with this?

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-sams...207922504.html

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Re: Need Xbox 360 DVD Rom

Its not as easy as grabbing one off the shelf and putting it in the system. What you probably need instead is a replacement laser (that fits the same model as in your 360 since there are a few different versions).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Depending on the issue you may not need a whole new unit but you don't specify what the issue is.

If you're having issues reading discs:

- You may want to try a recognized brand dvd laser cleaner.

- You may also attempt to calibrate the laser as well. You will need an ohmmeter for that.

- Your best bet is to simply replace the laser.

If the DVD unit itself is busted then that's a whole different game:

- You will need a unit of the same brand and type.

- It is not as simple as putting the unit in. Xbox 360 DVD units are "married" to the console they shipped with. The DVD unit is flashed with the machine's hardware key number and both must match, otherwise the console will not run games and will only run movie DVDs. If you must purchase the whole unit, you will need to extract the hardware key from the old unit and flash it into the new unit using your computer and specific SATA chipsets. Be careful about what you are doing, because if you lose the hardware key during the process your Xbox 360 will never, ever run games and will become an expensive DVD player. (also write down by hand the hardware key when you extract it and tape it inside the machine should you ever need it again.)

Not sure if it is allowed to be talked about here but St. Google will surely help.
    Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken.

unless you want kinect (pft), just check out ebay for a lightly used old gen console. I nabbed a (supposedly) 2 month old Elite for 150 bucks with all the stuff.
    Shotty h4x FTW!!!

:Rig:
    -(Asus P7P55D)-(Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz)-(4GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333)-(Saphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5)-(Antec 850w)-

Better yet get a new slim.

yeah the main fix i've seen for 360's that have a part go bad is buying a new one. lol

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
    Its not as easy as grabbing one off the shelf and putting it in the system. What you probably need instead is a replacement laser (that fits the same model as in your 360 since there are a few different versions).
    Thanks Sonic. that sounds like what I will research