Page 1 of 9 126 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Star Trek: Discovery

Let's get to the big question first- what will the new Star Trek ship look like? Here's the video.

You'll have to be a die-hard trekkie to know where that design came from. Sadly, I know. In the mid-1970s, Paramount wanted to reboot the Star Trek series as an anchor show for a new TV network. They were well into production, but then... Star Wars came out and everything changed. They realized they didn't need to gamble on a TV show (let alone an entire network) when sci-fi fans would be guaranteed to see content in theaters. By the end, they'd settled on an Enterprise that looked pretty close to what we saw in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. But, there'd been earlier designs, like this one:

Yeah... that's where the U.S.S. Discovery came from. Personally, I think it's as ugly as the Kelvin from Star Trek 2009. They streamlined the lower secondary hull from the 1970s version and modded up the engines some, but... blech. Now, it looks like a Klingon ship with a saucer section.

But, onward and upward- the show will begin in 2017. It will first air on CBS, then move over to the new CBS streaming service, CBS All-Access. For $6/month. Most people I know already have at least 1 streaming service.... Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, etc. Many have 2. I highly doubt people area going to ante up for another just for 1 new Star Trek show.

There IS good news for people outside the United States and Canada. THEY will get to see the new show on Netflix. If you're in North America, CBS says SCREW YOU, gimme $6 a month.

Me? I'll watch the premier, of course, but that's about it. The rest of the series will show up on Android boxes soon enough.

Bonus content, including the still-born design appearing in The Next Generation at the battle of Wolf-359:

They even had the idea of launching from an asteroid back then:

The TNG shot:

Edit: If the first 3 pictures I posted look vaguely familiar, the artist was Ralph McQuarrie...known for doing the concept design art for Star Wars. Yeah, he seems to have a thing for triangles.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Awesome post. Gonna wait for it to hit Android too.
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. -
    Jesse Jackson
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    You, sir, are a god damn idiot.
    Love, Denny.

Star Trek Discovery...

Are they gonna nickname this "STD"?
    FuzzyLogik likes this.

MisterX

well it is catchy
    Speedde423, DennyCrane and Paradox like this.

lol.

but... stupid. the major networks have crap for streaming. I've watched shows on CBS streaming site (free stuff) and holy crap does the service suck (lots of streaming problems -at least for me anyways :P). Hulu, Prime and Netflix do it right... so stupid to not have it in netflix, but hey, I guess the want ad monies. because they have a crap ton of them :P
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

OK, we're pretty much certain where STD will be in the Star Trek universe and timeline- The "Prime" universe (NOT the JJ Abrams alternate timeline) and sometime after Star Trek Enterprise and before the original series... this is from the registry number of the Discovery: NCC-1031. In the Enterprise times, ships had an NX prefix, so it's later than that. And, the Enterprise is NCC-1071...meaning this was chronologically earlier than her.

/nerdmode off

It could go in both universes. Provided that the series happens before the elder Kirk's ship was destroyed (2233 according to memory alpha) it would remain the same in both prime and alternate. The NX-01's last episode was based in 2161 (also memory alpha), so there's a few years to work with.

yeah, that went over my head.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

your ears just aren't pointy enough.
    FuzzyLogik likes this.

Blog Entries

Wait... Wrong universe...
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Page 1 of 9 126 ... LastLast