Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DennyCrane
  • 1 Post By FuzzyLogik
  • 1 Post By DennyCrane
  • 2 Post By DennyCrane

Thread: Netflix Original: Stranger Things

Netflix Original: Stranger Things

I rapid-fired through the new Netflix series, Stranger Things. It's a decent show. Like 11-22-63, it's only 8 episodes long and a quick watch. It's set in the very early 80s... and, like Super 8, so the story doesn't need to deal with cell phones, the internet, etc. Those things really screw up a good suspense story. Someone's out in the woods, all alone, you can't just whip out your S7 and call for help, use Google Maps, warn a friend, or anything that would be so commonplace today.

Stranger Things centers around 4 middle school boys. One disappears and then begins the quest to find their friend. They soon find a girl about their age who's escaped from a government facility, a research operation that indirectly was responsible for the disappearance of the boy. There's monsters, sinister government operatives, suspense and a lot of action.

The series has a lot of great characters played by Wynona Ryder, Matthew Modine, and David Harbour. The actors playing the kids did a great job. The writers really had their finger on the pulse of the state of mind of people in the age groups of the characters... middle schoolers who's main focuses are- playing games, dealing with the social structure of bullies vs victims, the nature of friendship, etc. The older siblings deal with being teenagers... infidelity, being an outcast, drinking, blah blah blah. The parents, at least a few, have some awesome moments. One mom & dad are just undeveloped parental cut-outs, but the mother of the missing boy (Winona Ryder) is fantastic. Her son is missing, dead? She won't accept that because...Motherhood! Well, that and the fact she's seeing some inexplicable signs that he's communicating with her. The town's sheriff, David Harbour, was my favorite character. Essentially a screw up who really shouldn't be in charge of the local PD, he's forced to get his shit together when he's seeing the strange events unfold. Matthew Modine plays the uber-creepy head of the government research facility. It's far and away from Private Joker from Full Metal Jacket.

The sets, scenes, and props in this show was incredibly accurate and detailed. While there's no internet or cell phones in that era, there were walkie talkies. I went through that phase, as did a lot of pre-internet kids. Big, bulky, short range, terrible reliability. The kids in the show all have these things. Oddly, all Radio Shack models... you'd think product placement if not for the fact Radio Shack is bankrupt and gone. We also see Atari consoles, black & white TVs... HUGE 22 INCH TVs, boom boxes, cassette tapes, Ford Pintos, and film cameras. Everything correct for the period. It went a long way to immerse the audience.

I'll finish with this- like pretty much everything on TV, they leave it open for another season. The story does resolve itself and does have a logical ending, but there's a final scene that's clearly tacked on. You'll know it when you see it. It's not a deal breaker, but I really appreciate a limited series with an absolute conclusion. Hello, 11-22-63.

FuzzyLogik likes this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Re: Netflix Original: Stranger Things

I marathoned this series. It begins and it hooked me. Then it left me like a bad Tinder date. Disappointed and wanting more.

Spoiler:So what was the monster thing? What was the point? I took it as they used this girl, who was the offspring of one of the LSD experiments, to spy on people. They inadvertently awoke or summoned or let out this thing. Cool, they, or she kills it. Why did the sheriff leave that food? Because she is stuck there on the other side now? What is the Sheriffs deal? I feel lost like Lost.

Well...

Spoiler:The monster was native to the parallel/shadow/mirror/upside-down dimension. The governmental tomfuckery opened gates all over the place... basically they thinned the barriers between dimensions. Elle isn't dead... at least anymore. Like I said, they tacked on stuff at the end to allow season 2.

I'm gonna watch the first and last episodes again.

was a fantastic show. great pacing too - which doesn't happen all that often - kinda like how the new short season of 24 was better than most of the actual seasons because it wasn't filled to the brim with filler stuff. If they do a second season the have some tough shoes to fill! and yeah, caught it one weekend morning and watched the entire thing lol...
    DennyCrane likes this.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

There's also another period show on NetFlix called The Get Down (set in the 1970's early NY hip-hop scene) which i am digging.

FuzzyLogik likes this.

looking forward to this

Netflix just dropped a new season 2 trailer at SDCC:

OD-BLOODED-1 and FuzzyLogik like this.

getting close!

Though actually. i started to watch the trailer - and then stopped. I actually want to go into the second season fairly clueless lol...

Watched the second season in two sittings heh (almost the entire run in a day - started too late though to binge it all). Rather enjoyed it! Felt like they didn't try too hard on making it "bigger and better" than what made the first season so great (which usually kills these sequels). The folks that made it said that it was but I think it was just a bit more so in scope but still rather good. Lots of crap sends me back in time on a nostalgia trip lol. but anyways - very well worth watching if you saw the first