Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Decline in Facebook users in the U.S?

Re: Decline in Facebook users in the U.S?

Teck are you sure you don't work for the NSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Teck View Post
    They also are probably more susceptible to being scammed... Good or bad, we have to face the fact that virus', spyware, and other scams are very common on Facebook.

In fact, I have worked for corporations who over several years have only had security breaches when either Facebook or MySpace were involved. Good or bad, it is what it is.

Not to scare anyone, but this is what I can do with your Facebook information (Assuming that I use no special contacts, do not risk revealing any information that could be traced back, and do not spend more than $100):

• Name, Age, Location ---I can likely find your current and last 5+ residency's for a small "fee" (You just need to know who to call and what to say). I can also find out where your last tax return was sent. I can get a copy of your birth certificate & get your SSN. I can find out the last dozen places you worked at. I get your transcripts from your High School and most likely any College you've gone to. On top of that, I can get the same information on your parents, brothers, sisters, etc.
    • Using your list of Friends & Contacts ---I can build a network of information on your Friends, list their professions, get their personal details, map out what kind of connection you actually have with them. Some of these people are not really your friends. Like it or not, when asked the correct questions, they will probably give me additional information I can use (Burners would work great for this).
    • Using posts on your Facebook page ---I can learn about your online habits and gain/infer information from your posts. How long do you spend on Facebook at a time? Do you sometimes post from a Mobile phone, but not other times? Do you live alone? Do you like to drink? What time do you commonly logon to and use your Facebook page?
    • Using any pictures and video posted ---Most pictures and videos tend to be posted from mobiles. Most mobiles will embed that media with Meta data such as: Your name, your exact location (gps), if it was posted from a phone, etc.... If its from a Mobile and you post it as soon as you've taken it... I will have your gps location and If I'm in the area... I can visit you. ---I can also use this information to develop a map of locations you commonly visit.

That of course is just using information that is easy to get off of the average Facebook page. That's without me trying to use anything Fancy like tricking you info downloading a custom Trojan Horse that your computer cannot detect because it's not a known virus.

Keep in mind, all of that information listed above, is the kind of thing that has been proven that kidnappers, scammers, and other criminals actually use in their crimes. Granted, using common since can limit your risk... You really just don't understand how easy it is to spend a day building a file on someone and how easy a crime becomes.

Last but not least, remember... The information you post online.... Put's members of your family at risk as well. Hell, if your like me and you're not really 'online'... There are still risks due to the wealth of information out there.
    "Gee, Mark- how come you're not on Facebook?"
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teck View Post
    They also are probably more susceptible to being scammed... Good or bad, we have to face the fact that virus', spyware, and other scams are very common on Facebook.

In fact, I have worked for corporations who over several years have only had security breaches when either Facebook or MySpace were involved. Good or bad, it is what it is.

Not to scare anyone, but this is what I can do with your Facebook information (Assuming that I use no special contacts, do not risk revealing any information that could be traced back, and do not spend more than $100):

• Name, Age, Location ---I can likely find your current and last 5+ residency's for a small "fee" (You just need to know who to call and what to say). I can also find out where your last tax return was sent. I can get a copy of your birth certificate & get your SSN. I can find out the last dozen places you worked at. I get your transcripts from your High School and most likely any College you've gone to. On top of that, I can get the same information on your parents, brothers, sisters, etc.
    • Using your list of Friends & Contacts ---I can build a network of information on your Friends, list their professions, get their personal details, map out what kind of connection you actually have with them. Some of these people are not really your friends. Like it or not, when asked the correct questions, they will probably give me additional information I can use (Burners would work great for this).
    • Using posts on your Facebook page ---I can learn about your online habits and gain/infer information from your posts. How long do you spend on Facebook at a time? Do you sometimes post from a Mobile phone, but not other times? Do you live alone? Do you like to drink? What time do you commonly logon to and use your Facebook page?
    • Using any pictures and video posted ---Most pictures and videos tend to be posted from mobiles. Most mobiles will embed that media with Meta data such as: Your name, your exact location (gps), if it was posted from a phone, etc.... If its from a Mobile and you post it as soon as you've taken it... I will have your gps location and If I'm in the area... I can visit you. ---I can also use this information to develop a map of locations you commonly visit.

That of course is just using information that is easy to get off of the average Facebook page. That's without me trying to use anything Fancy like tricking you info downloading a custom Trojan Horse that your computer cannot detect because it's not a known virus.

Keep in mind, all of that information listed above, is the kind of thing that has been proven that kidnappers, scammers, and other criminals actually use in their crimes. Granted, using common since can limit your risk... You really just don't understand how easy it is to spend a day building a file on someone and how easy a crime becomes.

Last but not least, remember... The information you post online.... Put's members of your family at risk as well. Hell, if your like me and you're not really 'online'... There are still risks due to the wealth of information out there.
    While I actually don't put all my information on facebook, saying that is ridiculous. If someone knew my name, they would be able to get all that information. I don't want to spend my life being paranoid and vigilant my whole life, over something I have control over, but not really. On a regular basis, I use that information on the internet to make purchases of things. There, my credit card information is even out there. So, what am I supposed to do? Not sign up for websites? Not buy stuff online? Not try to enjoy life?

For that matter, someone can just steal my credit card at a restaurant. Some waiter with a little hand scanner. I mean, it never ends, and it never will end. I may as well go hide in a dark corner of a cabin in the middle of no where hoping to all hope no one finds me.

And I'm not saying I don't do anything, but if someone really wants to, they can get info on me. I have all my settings set to full private on facebook, but that wouldn't stop anyone. It just sucks, that's all, and you gotta learn to live with it. I would rather have the ability to talk to people and what not through facebook, then not have that advantage. I have friend's over seas, that I am only able to talk to them through facebook. So, I'm not going to have a facebook profile just to be paranoid.

There are 3 kinds of people. People who will never steal, people who will always steal, and people who will only steal if others are stupid enough to give them the opportunity. So, don't be stupid with your information and you've cut your chances in half.

And,
    I have friend's over seas, that I am only able to talk to them through facebook.
    Shenanigans.

Germany [DE]
    UI

Ah, shens indeed!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    There are 3 kinds of people. People who will never steal, people who will always steal, and people who will only steal if others are stupid enough to give them the opportunity. So, don't be stupid with your information and you've cut your chances in half.

And,
    Shenanigans.
    I don't have their email addresses, only facebook. And it's not stupid weirdo making a friend on facebook, it's someone I know and have met many times.

Anyway, I just don't know how you can be online and the internet, without giving out information for something. Even if it's as simple as signing up for an email or a website or whatever.

OK, so you have "friends" who wont give you their email addresses, a phone number, some IM service name, etc?

Blog Entries

I never asked for their email addresses because I don't need that when facebook does it all already. And I don't want to download an IM service to speak to them, when again, facebook does that already. I only have 3 people overseas I call, and it's rare. Why spend the money when I can do it for free, again, on facebook?

Teck: What's the difference between facebook and say a smartphone with apps in terms of security? DennyCrane has an android phone. I'm sure he has lots of information on there. Do apps have access to that information? So many apps on these smartphones are designed to really use people's information to create a "better" experience. Especially with all of this being attached to Google, what information do they have access to?

It's one of the things I'm actually concerned about getting a "real" smartphone, as I currently have a really "dumb" smartphone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ohmigosh View Post
    The UK MOD has an ad talking about putting your family at risk...it reminds me of the old WWII careless talk campaigns.

Personal Security Online
    Those are FANTASTIC ways to stay much safer online in general. It would be wise for people to stick to those kinds of things.

As I see it... It's a lot like locking your doors at night, you do it to help limit your risk as a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewtino View Post
    Teck are you sure you don't work for the NSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    While I actually don't put all my information on facebook, saying that is ridiculous. If someone knew my name, they would be able to get all that information. I don't want to spend my life being paranoid and vigilant my whole life, over something I have control over, but not really. On a regular basis, I use that information on the internet to make purchases of things. There, my credit card information is even out there. So, what am I supposed to do? Not sign up for websites? Not buy stuff online? Not try to enjoy life?

For that matter, someone can just steal my credit card at a restaurant. Some waiter with a little hand scanner. I mean, it never ends, and it never will end. I may as well go hide in a dark corner of a cabin in the middle of no where hoping to all hope no one finds me.

And I'm not saying I don't do anything, but if someone really wants to, they can get info on me. I have all my settings set to full private on facebook, but that wouldn't stop anyone. It just sucks, that's all, and you gotta learn to live with it. I would rather have the ability to talk to people and what not through facebook, then not have that advantage. I have friend's over seas, that I am only able to talk to them through facebook. So, I'm not going to have a facebook profile just to be paranoid.
    Well, the difference is how EASY you make it all. If the information is scattered across the net or I have to collect it in person... It's going to take me a lot longer to get whatever it is I need. With Facebook & other social media sites, there are hundreds of millions of targets who have all of the information I'd need as a potential criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    Teck: What's the difference between facebook and say a smartphone with apps in terms of security? DennyCrane has an android phone. I'm sure he has lots of information on there. Do apps have access to that information? So many apps on these smartphones are designed to really use people's information to create a "better" experience. Especially with all of this being attached to Google, what information do they have access to?
    I'd say that a vast majority of smartphone apps are actually very safe with respect to this kind of security. With the number of people that tend to have to approve and app, the number of users, etc... The risk is much lower with a smartphone app than most other risks out there.

Then you have to consider that phones have a limited amount of bandwidth to take information, they store a limited amount of information, they are slow, etc... There are just easier ways to get information.

At the end of the day... The trick to staying safe is by not having the attitude that anyone can get your information anywhere. While that may be partially true... You can make it harder by not serving it up to criminals such that it's all in one place. It's like locking your doors.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34