Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BuddhistSoldier
  • 1 Post By Kage

Thread: Steam Link

Steam Link

I have been contemplating getting an xbox for a long time as our PS3 was on the fritz. Out comes steam with the steam link. I convinced myself that since I already own over 200 games on steam (mostly humble bundle http://www.humblebundle.com), this is the way to go.

And for only $60 maple syrup dollars to boot! $120 if you get a steam controller. So even if it sucks I don't think I would be disappointed due to the low cost of entry.

Of note, I have a wired connection to my living room tv. The steam link is small but has a good quality heft to it. It came with a power adapter that had an interchangeable head. You could power this anywhere in the world with what is included. Even came with an HDMI cable and network cable. Once I had it hooked up, I need to fiddle with my overly secure computer to try and bypass my firewall. The steam link immediately connected to the internet as well and downloaded a firmware update.

The interface was really nice and easy to navigate. The gaming so far was incredibly responsive. On par with a dedicated Xbox/PS3. Zero perceptible lag.

The controller proved to be slightly buggy. This is a known issue on the steam support page. Simply allowing steam to install a beta version of Big Picture cleared all issues I had with it.

I tested it out with a few 2D scrollers as my 5 year old was playing with it. The controller was slightly too big but she was able to play Braid for a bit before bed.

All in all, so far I think its a great way to bring gaming to the living room. Not completely polished yet but I figure with a few firmware updates it will rival buying a dedicated console for those who already have a substantial library and/or personal computer.
    DennyCrane likes this.

Blog Entries

Re: Steam Link

I have the controller, I like it... I ordered a steam link for giggles. Can't wait to play with it.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

I'm actually kinda excited about this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

Steam Link on Steam

In case you are unaware of what they are talking about

So is this the new version of streaming that you can do through Steam? There was on before that I tried (last year?) but i'm not sure if this is the same thing lol. - I could just stream my game from one computer to a different computer...
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Seems like a much better way of getting PC gaming into the Living room rather than buying a Steam Box, I'll check this out

yup, just need a good solid network connection i guess. and a ... relatively decent machine?

Blog Entries

Even without the Steam link idea you should have a Decent machine for gaming.

Blog Entries

I purchased the Steam link for my brother for Christmas.

My Brother has always been an avid console gamer. 2 Years ago he asked me to build him a PC, which I did. Since then I have noticed a lack of his presence on steam but a surprisingly large collection of games in his steam library. He will almost always gravitate towards the console just because of simplicity. So I got the steam link with the hope that he will launch a PC game from his couch every once in a while and start working through that impressive collection he has.

I plugged in the steam link to the extra monitor I have on my desk, so I could see both the Steam link stream as well as my main monitor for my PC. I didnt have a Steam controller at the time, so I plugged in my Xbox One controller. Steam Link connected to the WiFi, detected my computer on the network, and provided me with a pin number to plug into Steam on my PC. It immediately worked after that. The Xbox controller on the Steam link actually allowed me to move my mouse and click stuff, which was a big surprise. In essence I could control my mouse with a gamepad that had not been able to do that before. From there I tested the function and presence of the Steam link. It was clear and gorgeous and very quick to react on anything that was straight forward. I could use anything on my computer without hassle, browse the internet, view videos on my computer, and of course play games. Choosing the right game is where it became tricky. I attempted to play Project Cars, and it was clear to see that the stream over the wifi did not allow for a medium framerate or high resolution, it looked pretty terrible. I do not know if it would have performed better with a hard wire connection, but I have to imagine it would. Then I tried something simpler like Cities Skylines. The same effect but not as severe. The resolution and frame rate took a hit, but it still looked really good and reacted very quickly.

Overall I think if you plan to really play games using the Steam link, you should not be running on a Wifi connection. I will have to wait until my brother gets back to his place and see what he says about the quality on a hard line.

My brother picked up a Steam Controller as well, I played with that a bit and really enjoyed it. I managed to play Company of Heroes 2 with some sR people, and still took the top spot for damage and kills during a comp stomp.

Nice - coolness.

Just need a better computer :P