Thread: Sager 5660 + LAN party = teh ultimate!

Sager 5660 + LAN party = teh ultimate!

Well gang, I just got home from my first LAN party with my 5660, and let me tell you what - it rocked big time.

When I was mulling over selling my desktop rigs and lumping it all into a laptop, the clincher was the LANNing aspect. My biggest gripe about LAN's is the teardown-setup-teardown-setup. All told, it's about a 2 hour process which makes me cringe. Today, I think it was around 20 minutes total on prep. AND it was only ONE trip to the car, instead of 3 with a desktop.

Performance wise, I could tell no difference between the 5660 and my friend's rig (mega beefy - Ti4600, nForce2 MB, 2400+, ~12k 3Dmark). I happen to turn off all the special effects and drop my resolution to 800x600 so there'll be fewer.

The games I played:

Battlefield 1942 - Very smooth, even better than my old LAN rig. 800x600, gfx set on high.

Age of Mythology - Excellent playability. 1600x1200, gfx set to high.

I meant to play some Counter Strike and some Unreal Tourney, but never got around to it.

All in all, I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Oh yea, that's right... a good gFx chip hasn't been out until just recently.
    DIED!: :mad: Sager 5660 | P4 2.4 | 768MB DDR | M9 64MB | UXGA Wide | 60GB 7200RPM | DVD/CDRW Combo | XP Pro :uhoh: | 802.11b

Excellent report!

I feel the same way about my Sager. It's great for the occasional LAN game. I just pack my lappy into my backpack and head over to my friend's house and hook in an external mouse and my ethernet cable and *poof*, in about 5 minutes, I'm ready to go.

We played a couple Neverwinter Nights modules last night and the Sager ran just fine. I even had the resoluton turned up to max. While it did run a tad slower at times in heavily populated areas, the game was still enjoyable and really didn't detract much at all from the experience.

So far, I've really enjoyed my Sager 5660 experience!

Joe C.

Anime aRT Graphics Inc. Zachquiel's Avatar
    I have gone to 2 LAN parties since i bought my 8886, it was the kickass computer of the time, it loaded a bit slower, but that didnt stop my 8886 from outperforming the other ti4200-600 without problems, we played quake3, battlefield1942, unreal tournament, ut2003, need for speed: hot pursuit 2, worms world party, counterstrike, starcraft, warcraft 3, age of mythologies, diablo 2, jedi knight 2, even gta2, and in every single one of them the 8886 outperformed .

This systems kick ass

How long did you guys play straight and how was the heat?
    I'm too geeky for this shirt, too geeky for this shirt, so geeky it Hertz! :smash:

Shut up, Loiosh.

"Performance wise, I could tell no difference between the 5660 and my friend's rig (mega beefy - Ti4600, nForce2 MB, 2400+, ~12k 3Dmark). I happen to turn off all the special effects and drop my resolution to 800x600 so there'll be fewer."

umm... heh. I would think that dropping your resolution to the lowest possible and turning off all the special effects would be a significant performance difference in itself. Are you saying yours running at 800X600 with everything turned off runs the same framerate as his at say 1280X1024 with all the specials turned on? Because thats no comparison at all ;-)

holy crap

Originally posted by Zachquiel
    I have gone to 2 LAN parties since i bought my 8886, it was the kickass computer of the time, it loaded a bit slower, but that didnt stop my 8886 from outperforming the other ti4200-600 without problems, we played quake3, battlefield1942, unreal tournament, ut2003, need for speed: hot pursuit 2, worms world party, counterstrike, starcraft, warcraft 3, age of mythologies, diablo 2, jedi knight 2, even gta2, and in every single one of them the 8886 outperformed .

This systems kick ass
    you played all those games at just 2 LAN parties?! you play all of those games period?! holy friggin crap. that is ridiculous. how do you have time for anything else. what were these whole weekend long LAN marathon parties?

I must agree that my 5660 is sweet for LAN gaming. right now there is nothing my friends play that it won't handle. we mostly play AOM, but also some WCIII. the games look as good or better on my 5660 than they look on what few of my friends' computers will even run those games.

Re: holy crap

Originally posted by erisalit32
    you played all those games at just 2 LAN parties?! you play all of those games period?! holy friggin crap. that is ridiculous. how do you have time for anything else. what were these whole weekend long LAN marathon parties?

I agree, that's a pretty unholy amount of games to be playing! How do you get the time?

Hehehe. Cheers.
    Bah, humbug.