Page 1 of 47 12611 ... LastLast

Thread: Netbook Roundup: Affordable, Light and Long-lasting

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Netbook Roundup: Affordable, Light and Long-lasting

Sub-notebooks are typically considered to be 11" or smaller systems, usually ultra-light and, up til now, very expensive.

The new sub-notebook, a segment started by Asus with their EEE notebook, is now considered to be a light, 8"-10" system, usually without optical drive or tons of extras, some with SSD drives, and with a Via or Atom processor and lots of battery life (3-6 hours).

Remember, these aren't powerhouses - the Atom can be equated to a Celeron processor, it's much more about longer life than power. These are fantastic for light duty like surfing, email, light office work, etc.

This segement does not include the UMPCs (handheld PSP-sized systems with thumb control). I am also not including the "One Laptop Per Child" type laptops like Intel's OLPC, I consider those more of a learning toy than a true laptop, although they are probably responsible for the low priced sub-notebook segment.

Let's check out the current contenders:

MSI Wind

MSI split the difference between ultra-portable and price, and decided to put an 80gb spinning drive in their system instead of the lighter, more expensive and smaller-cap SSD drives. This makes it easier to accept for some buyers, but those who really want an ultra light might want to look elsewhere.

Around 2 pounds (edit: more like 3) , choice of 8.9 and 10" screens (LED backlit), 1024x600, and supposedly a decent sized keyboard, something not always present in these systems. No optical drive, but plenty of storage space. The 10" version comes with XP and bluetooth ($500), but the 8" has Linux and no bluetooth ($399).

Update: XP, 10", bluetooth, 5+ hours life, official at $499;
    Linux version without bluetooth at $399.

Pros: Price; USB ports; color choice; Atom CPU; LED backlit; no horizontal scrolling on 1024x600 screen; battery life (6-cell); turbodrive; supports 2gb RAM

Cons: No express port; 3 lb weight; VGA-out; small trackpad

Order the MSI Wind (June 27)

Tweaktown pics of MSI Wind

CNET Crave calls Wind the "best mini laptop on the planet". Plus more details.
    Mobile Computer Review

------------------------------------------------------

Asus EEE

The latest version of the EEE will have the Atom processor, but Asus has multiple versions of their sub, too. The 901 will have the 8.9" screen, but comes in at a higher price point of around $550 (some reports are higher with XP), probably due to their use of a 8gb SSD drive.

The EEE does have the multi-touch touchpad, too.

EEE 900 review (901 not available yet)

HP 2133 Mini-note

HP's mini-note is a very popular sub-notebook, at 2 1/2 pounds, with choice of operating system from SuSE to Vista. The normal 8.9" screen, almost-full size keyboard, plus optional bluetooth. The aluminum case is pretty sweet, and it starts at $500.

No Atom processor choice yet, but the Via is just as powerful, just not as efficient. HP gives you the regular 2.5" drive options like MSI, or the SSD on some models. No 10" model yet.

HP 2133 Review

Everex Cloudbook

The 7" LCD Cloudbook is Everex's entry, with the ever-popular (sigh) gOS operating system, but at a great $399 price point. Via processor, 30gb drive and all the basics. This one actually has a DVI port, though. Only 2 pounds, but a touch smaller than the others, it's very small. The 512mb RAM might be a touch low (you can upgrade to 1gb), since it also shares it for video. 800x480 might also be a deal killer, at least for me.

3K Razorbook 400

The 3K Razorbook 400 makes the list because it fits the bill, to a point. It's only $299, it's got wifi, a 7" screen (800x480), under 2lbs, and a 4gb SSD Drive. It does have limitations.

edit: reports say $299, buyers say $399. be careful.

Where it differs is a customized flash-based OS - Linux, though, with Linux Office Suite, and a 15-second boot time. It also gets 3 usb ports, though with a 2-cell battery, I would be careful using any of them on battery power alone. The 400mhz Igenic CPU and 512mb RAM may be limiting if you're running anything more than the included office suite, but fo $299, it's an option.

Razorbook review

Acer Aspire One

Acer Aspire one

Official Specs
    * 8.9-inch 1024 x 600 LED-backlit display
    * 1.6GHz Atom N270
    * 512MB DDR2 SDRAM (expandable)
    * 1.3 megapixel camera, SDHC and multi-format media readers
    * 802.11b/g, Ethernet, three USB 2.0, VGA, and 3.5mm audio out
    * One free mini PCI slot for WWAN
    * 80GB hard drive (with XP) or 8GB solid state (with Linux)
    * 2.5 or 5 hours on 3 or 6-cell batteries in XP model, 3 or 7 hours on Linux
    * 1kg (2.2 pounds)

Dell - coming soon

Dell's new mini? Gizmodo may have gotten the scoop.

----------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte M912

Official:
    # Intel®CPU 1.6GHz
    # 8.9”LCD panel/WXGA 1280x768, w/Touch screen, LED Backlight, as 180° rotation angle
    # Intel® 945GSE
    # 2.5” ,9.5mm S-ATA HDD 120/160/250GB
    # Built-in 1.3M pixel CMOS camera
    # Speaker 1.5 watt x 2
    # 80 key keyboard/Touch Pad

More Official M912 specs

------------------------------------------------
    GeCube 10.2" subnote

Via C7-D CPU 1.6
    512mb DDR2 RAM (1gb max)
    10.2" 1024x600 LCD
    80gb SATA
    10/100 ethernet
    802.11g
    3x USB ports
    gOS operating system, supports XP

Tweaktown

------------------------------------
    ECS G10IL

A newer entry gives us a 10.2" system, albeit with an odd black shell with white keyboard. The white version looks good.

Has the Intel Atom. Not many specs yet, or price, but looks like the normal stuff.

More pics and info at laptoptmag.

//adding more, please feel free to contribute and I'll put your stuff on this main post
    Last edited by CoffeeShark; 06-16-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Nice article, Coffee. I need to steer Mom towards one of these. Her notbook is a kludgey P4 behemoth with barely any battery life. Considering she mostly uses it to web surf on her wireless, she has no need for half of it's power.
    ~
    Also, in before the PC/Mac debate.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Nice article, Coffee. I need to steer Mom towards one of these. Her notbook is a kludgey P4 behemoth with barely any battery life. Considering she mostly uses it to web surf on her wireless, she has no need for half of it's power.
    ~
    Also, in before the PC/Mac debate.
    When Apple comes out with a sub-$600 notebook, they can have a spot here.

so if say in august i wanted to get one of these, what would be the best bang for my buck in your honest opinions, counting what you have heard about dell and acer?

steam-mattik13
    matt@straferight.com

Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Halfway through, the loss of Assault, Frank, ASG clan, etc hit him and he wept in his maple syrup puddle.

Blog Entries
    Good Article...

In fact Joe & I were talking about Sub-Notebooks last night. I'm thinking about getting one to replace my current notebook. I find that carrying around a laptop thats ~6-7lb and a battery that only lasts ~1.5hrs just isn't doing it for me.

I'm really considering the HP when it comes out with the Atom...
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_x View Post
    so if say in august i wanted to get one of these, what would be the best bang for my buck in your honest opinions, counting what you have heard about dell and acer?
    hard to say. here's what I'd consider:

screen: LED backlit, resolution, and size.
    Processor: prefer Atom for battery
    keyboard: how close to full sized?
    options: included bluetooth, how many USB ports, DVI/VGA?
    service: warranty, where are you sending it

I'm leaning to the Wind right now, but Acer and Dell will have entries this month to check out.

United States [US]
    joe
    personally, at the moment I like the Wind, and perhaps the Mini-Note if it gets an Intel Atom refresh this summer...

the EEE is still very nice, especially if they get the multi-touch touchpad feature to a point where it's useful...but it's a bit clunky, and most Asus notebooks recently have had an issue with battery life...

subs are hot. apple's rumored to be working on one as well. and no, its not going to be inexpensive.

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar
    Not a big fan of these, for me they are too small to do any real work, too big to carry around everywhere. Between my phone and my T61 I'm good pretty much whatever I'm doing.

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

I'd think for college, to tote from class to class, they'd be about perfect... and for a non-gamer, if they have a DVD drive, nice to take on a flight.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Page 1 of 47 12611 ... LastLast