Thread: Vudu: Finally worth it?

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Vudu: Finally worth it?

First of all: what the hell is Vudu?

Well, it's a VOD (video on demand) service that is served off the internet. Kind of like an AppleTV service in ways, including hardware and software.

At $300 for the box, it's kind of steep, considering most of it you could do on a regular PC hooked to a TV with a simple internet connection.

BUT....

now comes the "worth it" part:

Quote Originally Posted by AVN
    According to a press release from AVN, "The AVN Channel will include hundreds of the latest standard and high-definition titles from the leading adult studios including Wicked, Vivid, Hustler, and many others. This is the first stand-alone content channel available on Vudu."

Yes. A standalone adult channel for your Vudu. Rentals, purchases, you name it.

Oh, did I mention it's in 1080p? (Okay, maybe that's not necessarily a good thing in adult films).

And yes, it has parental controls, so the tykes can still watch the Wiggles, while you hide "Busty Cops 3" behind a password.

Crave

Vudu is the way we will watch TV in the next decade. Maybe not that service specifically, but that on-demand delivery is the wave of the future

yeah, definitely, but god knows how much DRM and permissions and cablecards and crap you'll need to do it. Too many people trying to protect all their investments to make it easy.

my hope is that we will finally get that one REALLY big hit web-only show that will change the way old media thinks about distribution. Instead of Lost coming on at 9pm on a weeknight, it would get 'released' online like a game patch. My dream is that format

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    my hope is that we will finally get that one REALLY big hit web-only show that will change the way old media thinks about distribution. Instead of Lost coming on at 9pm on a weeknight, it would get 'released' online like a game patch. My dream is that format
    bigger than Pure pwnage or Red vs. Blue?

Preposterous!!!

But yeah, if HBO or someone more daring would put the next "Sopranos"-type show on internet-only, I think that could work. It would also help push media extenders/consoles and HTPCs with digital connectors, and might even make the "connected home" a reality for more than just us geeks.