Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying parts for new comp

stock cooler has too high a racket:heat dissipation ratio

Blog Entries
    I have two Q6600 machines. My primary with a stock heatsink and thermal pad (Windows Vista & 8800GTS). My backup machine which is identical with the exception that I've got an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 i believe on it with AS5 (Windows XP & 7300LE)...

My primary is running @ 32C which i think is a little over 90f...
    I just put the memory back in my secondary & turned it on, which is also currently running @ 32C...

Room temperature is 25C...

So... I've got a stock cooler with stock thermal pad in one machine, plus an 8800, running windows vista... Which is currently running at the exact same temperature as my primary...

Fish is correct though, my machine with the stock cooler is slightly louder than the other with the Arctic Cooling heatsink...

On a side note: I am disappointing that my primary isn't running cooler right now...

I guess it would be more accurate to turn both machines off for a couple of hours and then power them back on later so that the time at which they were both turned on is the same... My vista box has been on for 8 1/2 hours today, though I hardly think that is effecting anything...

The point is, at the end of the day, someone who can properly install a heatsink, who has efficient and effective cable management, with the right case and airflow is going to have very low temps...
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, i just remembered they have different motherboards too... The primary is running a Foxconn P35A, the secondary is running a nice Gigabyte energy efficient board... Both are from the P35 chipset though...

And the primary has 5 drives powered on, where as the secondary only has two in a RAID1 config

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

haha, thats the cooler I have, the freezer 7 pro, I used arctic cooling MX2 compound tho

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I had some AS5 laying around and a couple weeks after building my secondary box i found out about mx2...

Still, I'm not convinced that there is much I can do to drop my temperatures further on either machine...

Unless i go liquid, but still... With air, it doesn't get much better than what I've got...

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    I'm still not confident enough on keeping a stock cooler, they seem iffy to me and iffy is something I don't want to mess with. What are good candidates for CPU coolers? I'm leaning towards getting a Q9450 and even more towards the Q9550. For a motherboard something along the lines of this seems fine or this one but I don't think I'll need 3way SLi, 2's enough. Are they any good? Also what name is good for Ram or are they mostly the same, dual-channel make a difference?
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

Blog Entries
    Newegg.com - ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards looks like a solid product, i would go with it...

As far as a heatsink goes, I still recommend buying the Retail kit which comes with the Heatsink (The retail kit is normally ~$5 more)... This way you get a 3-year warranty on the cpu.... Their main condition with that is that you use their heatsink... If you ever need to get it replaced, just tell them that you were using it...

If you really want a good heatsink i would go with one of these: (In order of what i consider to be the best)
    Asetek VapoChill Micro - High End Intel LGA775 by: Asetek - e --> I know this one looks weak, but it is a solid, consistent performer, very light weight, and very easy to install...
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks -- This is what I have in my secondary machine... It is a heatsink which many people really like... It does work very well.. Probably the thing that i most like about it, is how the power cord for it has a nice sleeve on it... It makes for a very nice look...
    Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks -- Another great heatsink, I know that some people have issues fitting Zalmans on certain motherboards so you will need to check the Zalman website to check and see if the board you want is supported...

Dont forget some thermal paste... Either MX-2 or AS5... MX-2 is newer and considered better... Heres a link:
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Quote Originally Posted by DominiKing View Post
    I'm still not confident enough on keeping a stock cooler, they seem iffy to me and iffy is something I don't want to mess with. What are good candidates for CPU coolers? I'm leaning towards getting a Q9450 and even more towards the Q9550. For a motherboard something along the lines of this seems fine or this one but I don't think I'll need 3way SLi, 2's enough. Are they any good? Also what name is good for Ram or are they mostly the same, dual-channel make a difference?
    The Stock cooler really is fine if your not overclocking to the moon I recently built a q6600 G0 with a stock cooler lapped and Artic Silver Céramique running cpu burn in on all 4 cores oced to 2.8g it stayed under 60c even before breaking in the thermal paste.

in any case make sure to follow the thermal paste manufactures instructions on how to install. More isn't always better.

for a heatsink the thermalright ultra 120 extreme is regarded very highly.

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    I really wanted the q6600 g0 cause you can overclock it very high. I would like an equivalent of something newer like the q9450 etc. I know I'm going to end up oc'ing.

The paste I already have and my case came today, I wanna know what kind of ram is good to go with it, I hear ocz is good. Does dual channel make a difference, I don't know much about it. Thanks for the list of coolers and I'll start looking into them. Also any idea when i7 gunna come out besides Q4? Some price drops would be great on CPU and mobo. I notice the 780i is only 25$ more than the p5e so should I just get that? I dont need 3way sli but its not much more. Thanks a lot for the help guys, gunna get that fresh non-vista called XP? Are there any pro's and con's as to getting the 64bit versus the 32bit?
    Last edited by DominiKing; 10-03-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast