Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD: Viable Alternative with Phenom II

AMD: Viable Alternative with Phenom II

Conclusion: Phenom II Is A Great Leap Forward - Review Tom's Hardware : AMD Phenom II X4: 45nm Benchmarked

This skips right to the end of the Tom's Phenom II review. They have found it to be a very good step forward over the existing (original) Phenom chip. Hurrah!

look, we need AMD to survive. look what nvidia did while ATi sat on the sidelines (read: nothing!). intel and AMD need to be at each other's throats or this industry is going to get stagnant for moons.

Sweet! So, essentially, it'll be about as good as a 2007 Intel chip?
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

United States [US]
    joe
    i've been watching this for a while, and I think it will be a good step forward (one of many that AMD needs), and I absolutely agree with Craig that we as consumers desperately need AMD to survive and be successful (it's okay even if it's only at the budget to mid-range levels), otherwise we'll see a distinct lack of innovation and increased prices in the market, among other things...

on a side note, in my opinion tom's hardware has become absolute rubbish, they too often rely on a company's press release rather than perform their own testing, and will approach the fanboy mentality far too often for my tastes...

Anandtech finds it favorable, Tom's finds it favorable, and HardOCP calls it junk. so it is definitely mixed reviews. But it is faster than the Q6600 by a good margin (10%), and at under $300, combined with the excellent power saving features, means people have a solid alternative now for midrange systems

Yeah, Tom's hardware is full of fail.

WOW! a TEN PERCENT increase in performance over the Q6600 that was released in January of 2007!

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    anandtech = correct

Anand Lal Shimpi is one dude I take at face value. If he says it... there's a 99% chance it's a written in stone fact.

United States [US]
    joe
    there were some mixed reviews for Core i7 as well, I think it depends on how the reviewer looks at it...if they're comparing Phenom II to current AMD offerings, then it'll be good...but if they're comparing it to the latest offerings from Intel (Core i7 and the most recent Core 2 Quads), then I'd guess they'll find it lacking somewhat...

part of the problem as well is that the performance from Phenom II is basically what AMD promised with the original Phenom, but failed to deliver, it's great that they are finally able to come to the market with a truly competitive product, but like I said above, it's one of several steps they need to make on their way back...

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast