Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    1. too many ISPs have caps on downloading. You know how quick streaming video can add up, how many hours do you have of online gaming per month with this kind of streaming?

2. I know they say their servers will be upgraded, but what's their incentive for timely upgrades? The longer they put it off, the more they make.

3. The big 3 console makers aren't going to allow their bread-and-butter game companies to give out the franchise titles. You'll never see new Mario or Halo or MGS titles as long as Nintendo/ms/sony are around.

4. Even with big download pipes, everyone gets stutter (ask Henry).

5. What happens when something goes wonky at the server farm? Can you hit a button to reboot? Can you switch servers at any time?

6. How much? Considering how much just one title like WoW costs monthly, how much do you think it will cost for you to play 5-10 different games each month? How do you pull an Xbox gamer away who only pays $50/year (and who won't factor in their one-time game purchases)?

I'm sure carriage makers had a lot of those arguments against the car. You baffle me, Coffee. You're like Mr. Technogeek, but you're here peeing on a very large parade.

How does the cloud work when a server goes down? That's not important, and is hidden by the implementation.. you know this.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    As Clint Eastwood said "It's a clusterfuck, sir".

I just call it like I see it. If it quacks like a clusterfuck, it probably is one.

Thanks Tulkas for adding the extra pics.......Also I believe the eastern time is 10:15pm for the site's release...
    Last edited by No-Fear; 03-24-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

i also heard that there are plans to be able to steam games like this to mobile devices so that phones don't need heavy GPU capabilities, they just need solid internet connections.

this is very interesting to say the least.

I can see this working well when fiber optic is more common. Very cool idea though. Oh and theyll need game centers (or whatever, where they have their servers) pretty close to the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by DominiKing View Post
    (like COD4 which I don't think you can hook a controller to, i haven't figured it out)
    You can make a controller work with pretty much every PC game. Get Xpadder and configure it to the keys the game uses. You can even make macros and multiple button combos with it
    My Flickr Photostream
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfluff View Post
    I had my first experience at the original Super Duper Weenie today. It was pretty awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    6. How much? Considering how much just one title like WoW costs monthly, how much do you think it will cost for you to play 5-10 different games each month? How do you pull an Xbox gamer away who only pays $50/year (and who won't factor in their one-time game purchases)?
    you can get it for $40 at Costco...plus an extra month.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i also heard that there are plans to be able to steam games like this to mobile devices so that phones don't need heavy GPU capabilities, they just need solid internet connections.

this is very interesting to say the least.
    Craig's just happy about his concept because he may finally be able to play on the sR servers from his iPhone hahaha

But seriously, if that's true, that would be awesome
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

The Fantasy Adventure where YOU get to play the role of Dirk The Daring!

...if you get the reference, this is what you'll get.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Phantom
    exactly what i was thinking, the phantom console that could play any pc or console games. not sure if that was the gist of the whole thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast