Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?

OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?

Update : the OnLive website is now live

Update 2 : Video of presentation now available @ GDC 2009: OnLive Press Conference - Movies at GameSpot

What if you could stream games, any game, over a decent broadband connection to your PC or Atom-based netbook at the same quality as the PS3? Would you walk away from your beloved console? That's the of hope of Palo Alto-based OnLive. But this is much more than empty rhetoric -- OnLive's been dropping jaws of the press who've seen it working this week. GameDaily dubbed the play "fantastic" after seeing Crysis streamed "smooth" off a server to a plain ol' MacBook laptop. See, OnLive claims to have perfected the interactive video compression technique so that latency is low enough to support on-line multi-player setups. Broadband connections of 1.5Mbps (71% of US homes have 2Mbps or greater) dials the image quality down to Wii levels while 4-5Mbps pipes are required for HD resolution. At the moment, OnLive is showing 16 high-end titles at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco and expects to be able to release new games within the same window as traditional retail launches. The games can be played on "any PC (Windows XP or Vista) or Mac" without the heavy cash-burden of a high-end graphics card, fast disk, quad-core proc, and truck-load of memory. Otherwise, OnLive plans to release what it calls a MicroConsole with Bluetooth (for voice chat) and optical audio-out that can be connected to your HDTV over HDMI -- pricing has not been announced but it will cost less than a $250 Wii. There's a community element too, of course, with OnLive reps boasting about it operating on an "unprecedented scale." This includes the ability to join live games at any point, the creation of "brag clips" that saves the last 10 seconds of game play for sharing, as well as leaderboards, rankings, and the rest. And if you think publishers will never buy in to the model, think again: Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, THQ, Epic Games, Eidos, Atari Interactive and Codemasters are already on-board. Expect OnLive to launch this Winter with monthly subscriptions available in "a variety of different pricing packages and tiers, competitively priced to retail." Damn.
    [via] Engadget

With OnLive, players can join each other in the same multiplayer game, regardless of whether they have a PC, Mac or OnLiveís own micro-console (a simple box with minimal processing power) connected to a TV. Such cross-platform game play usually isnít possible.

Big game publishers and developers ó Electronic Arts, THQ, Take-Two Interactive, Codemasters, Eidos, Atari, Warner Bros., Epic Games and Ubisoft ó have agreed to distribute their games through the OnLive network, bypassing traditional retail game sales in an effort to reach people who donít buy game consoles or expensive game computers.

To address naysayers who think this canít be done, given all of the Internetís trade-offs, OnLive will show 16 games being played live on the floor of the Game Developers Conference this week in San Francisco. The game service is expected to be available before the end of the year. If this sounds to you like the interactive TV hogwash of the 1990s, like Time Warnerís Full Service Network, it is indeed very similar. The difference this time is that this looks like the real thing.
    [via] Venture Beat

The games can be played on any bog-standard laptop or PC without the need for a high-end graphics chip using OnLiveís plug-in software or on a TV connected to a box the size of a pack of cards that may well be given away for free.
    [via] FT.com | Tech Blog | OnLive service takes the console out of games

Basically this service is going to allow you to stream games in high quality or as mentioned, "PS3 type graphics" to any type of pc or perhaps a netbook. If this is done right, I believe this will be a win - win, but one problem still arises, how fast of a connection would you really need to stream this kind of stuff, and I for one is concerned about this because I have problems just streaming HD videos from hulu on a 2.5mb network....Well anyways this thing is suppose to go off (or something big is suppose to happen) tonight @ 7:15pm PDT

Link : OnLive
    Last edited by No-Fear; 03-25-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

I couldn't hear anything DJ_Wheels's Avatar
    Sounds awesome, but streaming video on a fast connection still gives you the occasional stutter. I guess that can be compared to the occasional lag spike though.

Yeah the broadband connection needed for the higher end graphics may be a concern. Also, the monthly subscription. Don't know about Wii, but the PS3 & Xbox360 both have some level of free community involvement. You buy the game you want and connect. To me it's a big negative.

To the more active gamers this could be huge if there's only the monthly fee and no extra costs for individual game usage. There's definitely a market for this and with the support of developers, this should get decent market-share.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    French is right
    French is wrong
    Make up your mind Coffee!

My DeviantArt page

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Phantom

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    This sounds crazy, if this works the way they claim it to then what would be the point of getting a gaming PC? I gotta admit that after reading the article I'm still kinda confused, it's like saying that we spent our money on all this hardware that might just be useless? I now that you can play a lot of games with a controller now but with this MicroConsole you'd be able to play any game with a controller (like COD4 which I don't think you can hook a controller to, i haven't figured it out) but it's all PC. It'd make your 360 & P3 useless pretty much.
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

If the price isn't right then this will fail because console gamers can get a GameFly subscription that offers 2 games out a time for $22.95 a month and if I was a hardcore console gamer with a crappy connection I would take that offer over OnLive or any streaming based subscription...But as domini said this would crush console gaming IF its what it claims to be...

Edit I didn't notice this until now but did anybody see the statement on the first pic that say "controller action" that sounds so old like late 80's early 90's old hahaha
    Last edited by No-Fear; 03-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

I think this is a smart idea, because people will always pay for something if it makes their lives easier. Plus you will get instant access to upgraded hardware and games the moment they are released. I think I would probably do this. It's like steam, if steam was also the gaming hardware.

Blog Entries

OnLive could threaten Xbox, PS3, and Wii

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, look out. Your traditional video game console business model may be in danger.

It's too early to tell how much danger, of course, but a start-up called OnLive announced a brand-new game distribution system Monday night that, if it works as planned, could change the games game forever.

OnLive, which was started by WebTV founder Steve Perlman and former Eidos CEO Mike McGarvey, is aiming to launch a system--seven years in the works--that will digitally distribute first-run, AAA games from publishers like Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Atari, and others, all at the same time as those titles are released into retail channels. The system is designed to allow players to stream on-demand games at the highest quality onto any Intel-based Mac or PC running XP or Vista, regardless of how powerful the computer.

The system will also stream games directly to a TV via a small plug-in device, and players can use a custom wireless controller as well as VoIP headsets in conjunction with it.

I put the rest of the pics attached at the bottom. I think this is crazy, and more or less where gaming to an extent is going.

Link

If you follow the link, there is a long article about this whole thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?-090313_redeemer_hero_shot1_onwhite_.jpg   OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?-onlive_tech_diagram_610x471.jpg   OnLive Really the Future of Gaming ?-bragclips02_610x343.png  

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Phantom
    QFT.

While this may be neat and all, lets face it even the best of connections stutters once in a while. Not to mention that if you are in a spot with a low-speed, or bad quality hop (or even a congested area like the Northeast) it throws it all off. I can see it working over a LAN (like the GDC). Also, how will the input work? If a lot of people have problems with slower response time monitors (8ms), then what would happen if the response time was 60ms?

While I think its a neat idea, but I don't see this catching on at all. Most people with a 1.5mb connection would rather play their 360/PS3 with HD quality graphics online, than Wii quality graphics, and what would probably be a slightly higher latency (since it would take up more bandwidth).

EDIT: Also the name/controller setup could be a problem because of Xbox Live... which sounds close enough to OnLive.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Blog Entries
    That's pretty neat.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast