Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 outsells Wii in March in Japan

Blog Entries

PS3 outsells Wii in March in Japan

Sony's PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo's Wii in March for the first time in 16 months in Japan thanks to new PS3 titles from Sega Sammy and Capcom, a game magazine publisher said.

Video game sales are closely watched for hints on how soon Sony can turn around its struggling game operations and how much growth momentum is left in the Wii.

Domestic sales of the PS3 came to 146,948 units in the five weeks through March 29, compared with 99,335 units of the Wii and 43,172 units of Microsoft's Xbox 360, Enterbrain said Monday.

Although this is only in Japan so far, it might be an indicator for other markets soon.

Link here: PS3 outsells Wii in March in Japan - CNET News

Make me!
    So it finally happend?.. Nice !!
    It's back.

Anyone else notice Wiis are in stock all over?

I'm also amazed that the PS3 has not had a price drop yet. I thought that this recession would have forced their hand.

I typically try to avoid discussions on console wars but honestly, one month of sales is a drop in the bucket. The Wii has been ridiculously successful and for the most part the PS3 has been a nightmare. Sony actually loses money on every sale.

A saturation point had to be reached eventually. Likely now will be an expected steady decline to a level where they draw in a crowd now old enough to play Wii, or randomly decide to pick one up.

Just like when CDs replaced records, the point came where pretty much everyone had their vinyls replaced with CDs and only bought new titles.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    Tulkas I wish you didn't post this story, everywhere else I've read it all that comes of it is the usual uninformed PS3 bashing.

Sorry, the Wii sells GREAT, we all know this, but the attach rate is beyond horrible, you couldn't find a great game on the Wii to save your life.

@Craig, yeah was at Bestbuy for 5 mins last weekend and they had like 50 Wii's in a pyramid in the middle of a big walkway.

Anyways, all this article does is reaffirm the common fact that Japanese gamers prefer Sony over other consoles (give or take).

@Craig, I know it's common to think the PS3 has horrible sales, and I'll admit they are not blockbuster by any means, but if you compare it to the timeline of the 360, they are selling more than the 360 did at this point in their lifespan (and that's with the 360 having no competition for a year, the PS3 has two good competitors during it's lifetime).

Blog Entries
    I think it's blu-ray factor is really coming to shine now, and i think that's it biggest selling point honestly, even above the games

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    Well that would make sense obviously because Blu-ray is catching on quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    I think it's blu-ray factor is really coming to shine now, and i think that's it biggest selling point honestly, even above the games
    :yeahthat:
    QFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    French is right
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    French is wrong
    Make up your mind Coffee!

My DeviantArt page

If they would just knock $50-$75 off the pricetag I'd buy one in an instant. I get to play my sons PS3 every now and again. Resistance is much fun (though I do dislike the feel of the controllers compared to the 360 controllers.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast