Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Windows 8 Hardware

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Windows 8 Hardware

I haven't seen anyone around the office with iPads that doesn't also have the keyboard/dock, so I think it's definitely the way to go. The docking station is nice for home, but the tablet/laptopdock combo is the winning one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Wait, wut?

Quote Originally Posted by wootini View Post
    HP tells employees webOS tablet coming Q1 2011 -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Maybe it'll have a slider keyboard, too.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

i'm very happy to see the HD/IPS displays on some of these tablets. Simply have to be.

It's a double-edge sword. I agree, for Windows, you really need 1080p, but to drive it, there's a cost in processing power, battery life, and the generation of heat. Again, this is something iPeople are dealing with. It'll be overcome, since that's been overcome on smart phones... going from 320p displays to the new 720p units.

In my usage scenario, I'll be at my desk, with the tablet docked, working, and then going to a meeting I grab the tablet out of the dock and go. When I'm back to the desk, I'm back in the dock, so I'm not sure I'll need more than around 5 hours of battery life.

We always talk about the 8 hour plane flights that almost nobody takes, the long days away from a plug that almost no one has, and playing video games all day that no one really does. ('no one' here meaning people who work for a living).

Take a look for yourself at how long you're really away from a plug in a typical work day.

btw, the 600 is the first ARM win8 system to be debuted (tegra3)

ASUS outs Tablets 600 and 810, Transformer-like slates running Windows 8 -- Engadget

18hrs battery life on the W510 with Ivy Bridge, nice!

I may not be away from the wall plug much on a 'normal' work day, but if I'm doing field troubleshooting more battery is helpful. 4 hours is not enough, 8 probably would be.

I think you'll see ARM devices with Win-RT only (no desktop) like the Asus 600 running around the same prices as the iPad, those will be more of the consumer-directed devices while the business world will be looking more at the Asus 810 type dockable systems that might run a few hundred bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    In my usage scenario, I'll be at my desk, with the tablet docked, working, and then going to a meeting I grab the tablet out of the dock and go. When I'm back to the desk, I'm back in the dock, so I'm not sure I'll need more than around 5 hours of battery life.

We always talk about the 8 hour plane flights that almost nobody takes, the long days away from a plug that almost no one has, and playing video games all day that no one really does. ('no one' here meaning people who work for a living).

Take a look for yourself at how long you're really away from a plug in a typical work day.
    My tablet gets plugged in overnight and that's generally about it. IF I'm going to be using it after work, it might get a 30 minute charge before I take it somewhere, but it doesn't get charged at work. The difference is, the reason I got the tablet is because I need to be away from an outlet to really get use out of the thing. I'm at a car, using the tablet to view wiring diagrams, flowcharts, search a database, etc. It's one of many tools I use, so it's not in use constantly, but when it is used, it's all over the place... sometimes even going down the road with someone else driving the vehicle and me riding shotgun using a tablet while watching the car's data stream on a scantool.

I suppose if I had one of these devices, plugging it in when it wasn't in use would be a simple solution. Simpler with a dock, too. Constantly finding the end of a cord, plugging into that tiny hole that always seems to shift just out of sight in a flexible case... it gets old.

agreed. it's all in how you use it. Pick the solution that's best for you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast