Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Jaxx
  • 1 Post By Romeo
  • 2 Post By MajorMalfunction

Thread: Thrustmaster GT Experience Review

Thrustmaster GT Experience Review Smile

For those of us that are not hardcore racing fans, but have dabbled in the old racing game here and there ... I am sure that we have all endured either keyboard controls / mouse controls or even, as myself, dug out and old joystick to race with. This post will be a brief review of the above named Racing Wheel, which, surprisingly was only $45 (ex.shipping) and one of the main reasons I said .. FUCK IT ! ... Let's see if having one of these will make ANY difference at all. I mean, we can all see the horrendous price tag sitting on some of the steering systems out there, but really, will it make a difference ... and hell ... I can waste $45 worst case scenario.

So after ROMEO got me to download SimRaceway and roll around a few laps with the 1995 Thrustmaster Joystick (seen above), surpisingly enough it became apparent that certain cars had a little more control / smoothness to their motion. Undeterred at the time, I enabled the Traction Control, the Automatic Gears, The Automatic Spin Correction, The Assisted Brakes and off I went. Lap after Lap practicing the same track, both Romeo and myself battled with an Xbox controller and 1995 Thrustmaster Joystick. MUCH fun was had to say the least but something was lacking, especially seeing multiple foe, flying past us throughout the turns.

"Romeo .. WTF man .. I'm flat out in these corners .. these guys are cheating !!!"
    "No Jax, they have wheels and have most of the Helps turned off, which makes it harder to race but gives you the edge !"
    "Well FUCK THAT ! Let's get wheel's man !"

Reviews were read over several websites .. and finding out that the Thrustmaster GT Experience was not a complete Lemon, we decided to buy it.

The small box withstood the weight of the quality beer ! Good Sign ! I am already impressed !

Out of the Box and just screwing about with them by hand, the peddles felt good .... Accelerator .. GAS PEDAL for you Americans Twats .. felt smooth and easy to press ... Brake ... BRAKE PEDAL for .... lol ..... felt a little stiffer .. Mmmm ? that's kinda cool ! but smooth.
    Couple sticky doo dahs on the bottoms for people with smooth floors for grip ... but I have a carpet .. yeah .. I can see this being a problem ... but already knew I was gonna be sticking a large book or something behind it. I know how I race ... that accelerator and pedal are gonna be hit pretty hard .. and aint no rug gonna hold it down.
    Bitch gonna have carpet burns - that's all I'm sayin !

Wheel looked well designed .. felt a little small I thought, but my hands fit well into the grooves cut for the BAZILLION frickin buttons on the damn thing ! Turning felt good out of box, but no 720 Degrees I noticed, like the reviews said ... but obviously when racing .. who the FUCK ! turns the wheel 720 Degrees !!! Works for me !!! Let's put it together !!

2 Mins Later ... Drivers Installed ! Pedals and Steering Wheel attached, USB Plugged in, and Windows picked up all the necessary bollox without a hitch !

Now I WAS worried about how heavy it was ... or how it would attach to my pullout drawer for my keyboard, after I popped it up to my monitor!
    However, I was pleasantly surprised how sturdy it felt, after attaching the clamp at the bottom, and how robust it felt. Not only that .. in the above picture I have my drawer pulled out ... once attached and all cables in, I could actually push my drawer in to further stablilize it, getting me closer to everything.

I threw a book at the back of the pedals which hit the wall .. and off I went !!!!

So before I say .. YAY or NAY on the Operation of the Wheel ......
    I give it about a 7/10 for construction .... Still feels a little plasticky ... the wheel attachment doesn't feel quite solid imo, little lateral play, however ... we will remind ONESELF that this is $45 ..... so I increase it to 8/10.
    I give it an 8/10 straight off the bat for design. I'm 5' 11' average build and even not using it yet I felt that the wheel FELT good and the pedals were appropriately spaced and felt good. I am already stoked to take it in and see what it can do !!!!

Wanting a control environment, I fired up SimRaceways Laguna Seca with the Evolution X. The main track I had been playing with ROMEO the past few weekend. 2 mins to setup the controls in the game which were instantly recognized by the game .. all button presses being recorded immediately. 45 fucking buttons to configure ... FUCK THAT ! left / right accelerator brake, SHIFT PADDLES (fuck it , I had a few beers) and view change. LET"S GO !!!!!

ONE MINUTE FIFTY TWO SECONDS is what I had in my mind ! That was the fastest time I had EVER managed to get! If I can even come close to that with this wheel, with little practice I am gonna be happier than Scotsman taking refuge from the law in a Distillery.

I left all my helper thingies on and fired off round the track .... Lap 1,2 ...

My Second LAP I got my 1 min 52 Seconds !! and can I say ... I have never had as much fun racing round the track ! It was AWESOME !
    IMMERSION just got a SLAP IN THE FACE WITH A WET SMELLY FISH ! IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME !
    Time for the Automatic gears to be switched off ! Race no.2 with Paddles for gears was just as much fun.
    After SEVERAL crashes, lol, 1 mins 52 AGAIN ! ... AHAAAA !!!

Traction control off ! Oh mother of holy hell ! Several more crashes .. but slowly but surely, the extra control I have is starting to shine .... FASTER through the corners, more control on the straights, less overcorrecting !!! If only the Beer I was drinking would stop me making so many damn mistakes !!!

What can I say ... if you can drive a car, then you can probably race better round ANY racing game with a steering wheel rather than joystick / mouse.
    I haven't used it for that long at all but it's so much fun ! I feel like Nigel Mansell or Ayrton Senna racing round the curves, listening to my engine scream down the gears as a punch the paddles. By the way, the above references are real racing drivers !

What can I say .... a $300 wheel it is not. Vibration Feedback is there and does work for movement and punctures etc, but that doesn't sell it for me. What sells it is the amount of FINE CONTROL you get from the Wheel and the pedals as opposed to ANY Joystick. The ability to actually feel the ass end of your car drifting and immediately correct by slapping the wheel in the other direction catching the skid and recovering. The feel of having to hit those paddles 5 times as you gear down from 200mph on a straight with a looming chicane whilst feathering the brake trying not to have your ass end overtake you.

For $45 and those of us not wanting to break the bank, I would recommend this product highly. I will update any new info / videos as I progress and get better at mastering these controls.

Maybe later I can include a video, and ROMEO, if you wouldn't mind adding your tuppence in here, we can wrap this $45 Steering wheel review up.

Overall, I am STOKED at what $45 has brought me.

My immersion in the game has Quadrupled ... not relative to my skill in driving .. YET ! however I can already see the advantage to having such a device. Only having the ONE driving game installed, and having a very controlled environment, I thought this REVIEW was WORTHY for those such as me, that are a miserly, skinflint, bargain hunting gamer, that casually enjoys racing games, but never had an excuse to play them more often, and wondered what a Wheel could do for me ! MMmm ! I can see some Racing Steam Purchases Looming !

This review does NOT account for LONGEVITY of the system, not how heavy handed you are with shit. If you throw your peripherals about like my wife does the frying pan, then might I suggest a $695 Dollar System with a massive guarantee and built with Titanium Carbide remnants from the last Space Shuttle Venture. However, if not the case ... then Have At It !

Game On !

Jax

** Oh ! and it's got a fricking Ferrari Logo on the Wheel ! Nuff Said !!!
    Last edited by Jaxx; 08-01-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Teck, DennyCrane, akabaloo and 3 others like this.
    System Specs
    Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz - Asus P7P55D-E LX Mobo - 8GB DDR1600
    1TB HD 7200 - EVGA Geforce 660 4GB - Ultra 750W PSU
    Shitty Keyboard / Mouse

Re: Thrustmaster GT Experience Review

Nice job on the review. I'll throw in my 2 cents soon. Hey watch out you don't poke your eye out with that old joystick of yours!
    Teck likes this.

I tried one of the better Logitech wheel/pedal combos for GT5 on the PS3... didn't like it at all. It did not feel at all realistic IMHO. Maybe other products or other companies get it together... but not the Logitech I had. That was a hot mess. Steering wheel effort increased with speed... WTF is that? Plus, I couldn't mount the damned thing to my desk right, yada yada yada. So, I race with my controller. Blah
    Get off my lawn
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Yeah so far I have observed a huge learning curve getting over the Joystick Training .. and no doubt, there has been no BLISTERING
    improvement, however, most of my mistakes in racing come from stupid decisions, excess beer and getting to frickin excited.
    For some reason the new steering wheel does not have software or built in hardware to account for this !

Oh well ! I'm stuck with learning to drive a different way, lol, however, that way is DEFINITELY ...

1. More Control (Finer movements / lighter applications giving more input)
    2. Immersion ( I am a fucking race driver in the game .. ok !)
    3. I look like a complete idiot to my wife (who I wave off with a hand when I see her lips moving)

Lovin it so far ! Looking forward to trying to improve a little this weekend. Midweek Sux for me !

QUOTE ""Hey watch out you don't poke your eye out with that old joystick of yours! "" QUOTE
    That's what all the girls say to me !
    System Specs
    Shitty Keyboard / Mouse

Blog Entries

I'm sure the lady also like to talk about your THRUST MASTER...
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    I tried one of the better Logitech wheel/pedal combos for GT5 on the PS3... didn't like it at all. It did not feel at all realistic IMHO. Maybe other products or other companies get it together... but not the Logitech I had. That was a hot mess. Steering wheel effort increased with speed... WTF is that? Plus, I couldn't mount the damned thing to my desk right, yada yada yada. So, I race with my controller. Blah
    Get off my lawn
    Side bar... I had a similar experience with Logitech. :/
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar

I find that if I take care of my thrust master, it takes care of me.
    DennyCrane and Jaxx like this.

So to be fair to the ol' Thrustmaster, I bought F1 2012 .... Mainly because Romeo made me and Kage had it already.
    Heads up, Wheel performs fantastic and is taking an absolute beating so far. F1 2012, is having some quick snaps of the
    steering wheel for those fast S curves .. accelerator is getting hammered reaching the apex of the turns and so far, the damn thing
    hasn't missed a beat lol !

The more I play with it, the faster I seem to get - I sincerely hope the longevity outlives it's $45 pricetag lol !

Safe to say 9/10 for value .... 8/10 for Functionality and design ..... You shouldn't race without this :-P

Now if it just came with self installing front wings for the front of my damn racecar for all those pitstops I have to do,
    I would be elated ! More speed = More Beer = More Faceplants on walls !
    System Specs
    Shitty Keyboard / Mouse