Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New case for a new build

Re: New case for a new build

The Air 540 is still the cast i'm looking at for the new build - though it might not happen until next year (we shall see!).

In the process of doing research on this I was wanting to redo my current computer with at LEAST reapplying better thermal paste... since the current stuffs been on there since 2010. Other thing i've been meaning to do is install an SSD as well and do a nice new clean install (and grabbing another 1TB drive to put in there). While I was checking online for some of this stuff I ran into an enthusiast thread for X58 owners... and lo and behold.. it looks like I can swap in a 'new' X5670 Xeon processor on my board (boy - could have done that a long time ago :P). I was going to remove the heatsink anyways... so what the heck? Grabbing one and seeing if i can get better than the 3.7-3.8GHz i can currently get on my i7 930... looks like with my board i should be able to get 4.2 GHz pretty easy. Nice! might end up being a good very very cheap upgrade. With a new SSD this may feel very much like a new computer lol. Sure, not as fast as current computers (though it appears to keep up with the Ryzen 1600 and the intel 8600? something like that - actually.. pretty amazing that this chip can keep up with processors that came out some seven years later. WOW. actually. no wonder i haven't upgraded. that CPU improvement over time stinks :P)... but with some amazon gift cards I'm really just paying for the SSD/HHDs lol.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

I should do this to my parents' computer. The question is memory - how much do you currently have? I believe X58 uses 3 channel memory, so I would use 3 or 6 sticks of ram, and that would depend on the number of memory slots your board has. I don't recall consumer level boards having more than 4 slots, and using all 4 may hamper memory access.

Nehalem is a gem.

Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition 3.46GHz 6 Core SLBVZ 12M 6.40GT/s Processor 7330381880308 | eBay

I'm not up to par on which processors overclock the best, but you need to be careful and ensure your board and bios can support a server proc

This i7-920 and 660 GTX ti plays Witcher 3 beautifully. Better than my "modern" computer... which is hampered by gpu. But still, it shows the old stuff still has enough oomph.

Thread needz moar Vega Opteron.
    FuzzyLogik and VincentVega like this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

That died long ago

The joke or the computer?
    VincentVega likes this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

It's all Triple Channel stuff - I believe I have six 2GB sticks. The Gigabyte board I have is one of the more popular X58 boards (v2.0 of the GA-X58A-UD3R) apparently - a couple years ago people were still picking up these same boards for over 100$ (!!) to grab a Xeon chip. The six-core X5670 chip that i'm getting went for $2k new. lol (I got it off Amazon for ease of returning if need be for about $50.00 - on ebay, which i've never used, you can fine them for a bit cheaper i think).

And funny you should mention that - apparently folks have been comparing the X58 to the AMD 939 with my Opti 180 (which i still have and still works but I gutted that computer). Wish i knew that years ago! We'll see how this goes though - should get it on Friday but i'll probably be a week before I can actually start working on it :P
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Nice board. I have the (older?) GA-EX58-UD3R.

Still deciding on Ryzen/Threadripper or Intel, but the case will be bought this November (hoping to catch a sale if I can).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811133359
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

Get the AMD. I have some of their stock

Fuzzy what stepping version did you buy of the X5670?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast