Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 267
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New case for a new build

Re: New case for a new build

Nice, I think i've heard pretty good stuff about the supernova stuff. and I agree on the multiple video card thing... I think I may just go with just best single card, period... at least until there's actual positive gains in EVERYTHING and not some games some of the time :P

And yup! a bit about Coffee Lake - (though mainly it appears folks with more current gen stuff going "meh") - since it looks like i might be getting some more life out of my pc... it might be a Zen2 build time frame lol. Still looking at getting a 1080ti - though i'm debating on waiting until the Christmas season to start with deals on cards. or just get one. since some of the deals really aren't deals :P
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

I've had two SLI systems. Originally, I had a pair of 8800 GTS 320MBs. It was beefy. I think that was on my i7-920 system. I lost one to the dreaded nVidia 196.75 driver that fragged a lot of cards. Both were registered - and I got free 9800 GT replacements for both through XFX with the help of nVidia support, even though only one was bad. This was so I could continue using SLI.

Anyway, I didn't like the 9800s. I'm not even sure they were as fast. Regardless, they were different form factor and the heatsinks were smaller and the fans were smaller and faster. The old setup was very quiet, even when pushed, but the 9800s were so loud I didn't want to game with them.

Plenty of games had issues with the SLI. Fallout 3, for instance, would have a glowing sky in SLI mode. In that case, though, it looked like a radiation thing, so I didn't mind it. But that wast just one case. In other games, it was not a 100% improvement, and often I believe it still is not. So it's a pain, and hot, and expensive... I would avoid it moving forward.

haven't had SLI since my dual 560 Ti setup, don't miss it one bit.
    AMD FX-8350 @4.0Ghz, ASrock 990FX Extreme4, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1866, EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 4GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Roccat Kone XTD, Roccat ISKU, Logitech G930 7.1, Antec 1200

I had SLI/Crossfire up until now - lol, but that's been a long time really (my two 5770's heh). Of course that's when games actually still actively supported it... but at about that time is when it really started to go down hill :P doh! Amazing to me really - when it was "easy" to have multiple cards but nobody wanted to do anything with them. and now DX12, which should make that nice and easy, and still that's not happening (and both RTG and Nvidia have moved forward with limiting SLI (and RTG sorta getting rid of Crossfire for "multigpu")) - ahh well. maybe one day :P

Currently running SLI, but I'm beginning to wonder for how much longer it's going to be supported by developers. By the way, here's my build as it stands:

pretty

Nice! What case is that?

And yeah - hard to say. It's supposed to be easier to do "multiGPU" with DX12.... but it's entirely up to the game developers to use it :P Somebody needs to make a card that when another card is hooked up the computer doesn't have to think it's two cards... just... act like it's one freaking card. :P or something like that. that would be nice lol

It's the Jonsbo UMX4 tempered glass case.

Beautiful build! Threw the new PSU in today, it hasn't melted yet so I think I'm good to go.
    AMD FX-8350 @4.0Ghz, ASrock 990FX Extreme4, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1866, EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 4GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Roccat Kone XTD, Roccat ISKU, Logitech G930 7.1, Antec 1200

Quote Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
    It's the Jonsbo UMX4 tempered glass case.

That's pretty cool still looking for ones with optical drive bays lol.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 267