Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New case for a new build

New case for a new build

Greetings all!

I'm really really hoping to finally do a new complete build later this summer - new tech coming out that should be all around interesting!

Since i'm waiting on reviews for that kinda stuff... I'm looking at getting a new case. I'm been going reasonably cheap in the past (maybe $80-$90) but... I'm actually hoping that that I could actually get a case that I rather like... and then keep using it! I'm finding it "interesting" to say the least as it seems that a good number of the high-quality cases come with no option to install an optical drive (sorry, I want to burn blu-rays without having to get an external drive :P ugh). I'm limited in height (fits under my desk) to a max of 24" and not incredibly wide (need to put my feet somewhere heh) - unless for some reason there's a good enough reason to sit on the carpet next to my desk or on top of my desk (which would be interesting - the base of the computer would be about 6ft off the group lol) - I like the computers that have a separate compartment for the PSU - keeps it clean... and hopefully helps a bit with heat/airflow. Also, I like fairly simplistic (but nice) designs lol. I don't need a case that looks like a monster truck... or rather, one that looks like it was ran over by a monster truck :P

ANYWAYS!

Currently I'm looking at:
    Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 6
    This case pretty much fits the bill on everything and would fit under my desk lol.

Be Quiet Silent Base 800
    Would fit under the desk easy. A bit cheaper (unless you get one with a glass side?)

Thermaltake Tower 900
    This one would have to go on top lol... just for the fact that it looks like a display case I always wanted to, but never got to get to the actual building of custom loops etc. I probably never will (just... don't have the time) - and it's expensive lol.

Thermaltake Core W100
    Ha, this one too - it would have to sit next to my desk (so i'd have to get some long cables to make it all work :P) - not to mention the cost lol.

I'd probably be NOT looking at the Thermaltake cases... but they caught my eye Getting one of those would likely make me sacrifice on a different component :P which I don't really want to do.

Currently I'm leaning toward the MasterCase Pro 6 What do you all think? Other cases out there that I should keep my eye on?

Thanks all!
    DennyCrane likes this.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Re: New case for a new build

What size motherboard are you looking at? ATX, microATX, mini ITX or do you care? MicroATX or mini ITX you can look at slightly smaller cases, but it may not matter.

Have you seen the Fractal Design cases? The R5 almost seems like it would fit in, except for maybe the price.
    Fractal Design

Quote Originally Posted by Speedde423 View Post
    What size motherboard are you looking at? ATX, microATX, mini ITX or do you care? MicroATX or mini ITX you can look at slightly smaller cases, but it may not matter.

Have you seen the Fractal Design cases? The R5 almost seems like it would fit in, except for maybe the price.
    Fractal Design
    Standard ATX - I'm a bit tired of the cramped space inside most mid-towers. Granted I don't have a bad case right now (Antec 900) - but it's not really aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm going to rebuild my current computer with some new thermal paste (I installed the CPU some 7 years ago) and likely replace the two 5770's with a single decent card just so it works better... I may replace the main HDD with an SSD too to breath some new life into it and get another many years out of it

I'll have to take a look at the Fractal Design cases (I've seen them before) - mainly the R5 series of cases?

Hmm, I like the C version, but no place for optical drives... will have to check out others too. I like that they're simple, seems to be very well built and... useful!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    Standard ATX - I'm a bit tired of the cramped space inside most mid-towers. Granted I don't have a bad case right now (Antec 900) - but it's not really aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm going to rebuild my current computer with some new thermal paste (I installed the CPU some 7 years ago) and likely replace the two 5770's with a single decent card just so it works better... I may replace the main HDD with an SSD too to breath some new life into it and get another many years out of it

I'll have to take a look at the Fractal Design cases (I've seen them before) - mainly the R5 series of cases?
    Okay, so reusing the ATX motherboard you have. Makes sense. If you're keeping most of the components, the SSD is going to be the best bang for your buck. Find out if your motherboard supports SATA2 or 3, and just get the fastest SSD of that type you can find. (No sense paying for SATA3 if you can only use SATA2.)

I suggested the R5 because it has an optical drive bay behind the front panel. It looks like the R4 or XL would work for you too. I really liked the look of their Mini C, and was about to get one before finding some new techniques for making my own case.

Yeah, the existing MB in my current computer will just be "refreshed" and I'll give it to my wife to use (to replace her PC - and he PC will be demoted to.. hmm... maybe a media PC or something to replace my even older XPS from 2006-2007 lol). Yeah, saw the XL - looks interesting too and would still fit (and i'm warming back up to the full towers again. my very very first build was a full tower (lol, back in the 90ies) and it was a gigantic waste of space.... wasn't much to put in a case back then lol. It would be hard to use the USB in the front but i tend to not use those anyways. I kinda wish the R5 had the cover that the C has for the PSU but as i understand it, the cover on the C makes it a bit of a challenge for wiring since it's a bit tight in there.

Good tip on the SSD, will have to double-check. At the time for my i7 930 I got a pretty good MB for it... The specs are here in the forums somewhere when I posted my build some time ago lol.

That makes even more sense. I was trying to figure out why you were building a new computer and then reusing your old parts. What kind of setup are you aiming for?

Check out the hardware canuck youtube, I like their reviews. They're pretty thorough.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTz...latKZ4nyIKcAbg

Also, you can check out cases on pcpartpicker and use their filter to only include those with external bays.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#G=1,12

MAN there are a lot of cases out there :P

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    MAN there are a lot of cases out there :P
    Yup.. I like the Corsair Carbide R series mid towers myself. I used a 100R for my last build because it was the nicest looking inexpensive case that Microcenter had on sale when i bought the parts I used to build my last system. I got everything but the cpu cooler and video card from Microcenter believe it or not.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...case+mid+tower
    FuzzyLogik likes this.

nice, thanks - more cheaper options. Though actually, lead me to the older version of the Air 740 - the Air 540. A bit cheaper than others, has the separated compartments, and still has a place for optical drives. Need to see what that means for under the desk though as it's about twice as wide as 'normal' cases... but it might be a great compromise between cost and functionality. Will continue looking into this further

Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast