Thread: DVD to DivX?

DVD to DivX?

I'm doing a job for this guy and he wants to rip all of his movie dvd's onto an external hdd... this guy is somewhat of a noob so I want to hook him up with an easy program like divx converter so he can convert the dvd's on his own. what are some good converters that can rip from the dvd and do some high quality conversion/compression? this guy is rich as sh!t so money is no object hahaha

DivX will not yield high quality.

If you want high quality, you want to encode to H.264.

You can get greater than the original DVD quality in less space than the DVD itself. In fact, it's probably the best codec available. This comes at a cost, though; It's extremely CPU intensive.

For amazing quality settings, it will take roughly 10 hours to convert a DVD. It's entirely worth it, though.

You can also use H.264 to encode to a small size as well and still keep great quality.

A H.264 file at 800mb will be far far FAR greater quality than any DivX or XviD, and chances are it will probably come within 95% of the original quality of the DVD.

awesome dope thanks for the info! what kind of timeframe would i be looking at for 95% original quality? also, can you suggest any programs that easily allow people to convert using h.264?

what im looking at is a guy who knows how to use a computer but isnt familiar with the inner workings and complex things like that... so I need a program thats simple as putting the dvd in and hitting rip/convert. this guy has plenty of money but not a lot of time so storage isnt a problem but long conversion times could be.

also, can most media playesr work with h.264 encoding?

VLC, MPlayer, MPC, QuickTime will all play H.264. WMP won't. I don't know about any commercial software, although a properly encoded H.264 file should play with just about any player.

I have no software recommendations since I use rather complex methods where I can fine tune every little possible setting for maximum quality.

Just look for anything that will encode to H.264 or VC-1.

VC-1 is Microsoft's high quality codec. It's what HD-DVDs use, and some Blu-Ray discs. Blu-Ray uses either H.264 or VC-1.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM